Does the church YOU attend talks about the Catholic Church?

A question for our nonCatholic friends, and former nonCatholic friends. Does the Church YOU attend spends time during the services, bible studies, and other church activities talking about the Catholic Church?

if Yes, Do you know why they did this? What was the purpose?

if now you are Catholic, is this the same experience at Mass in the Catholic Church? or in other activities affiliated directly to the Catholic parish you attend?

My experience

I am a born and raised Catholic. I lapsed during some period, but returned to the Catholic Church. During my 14 years as Catholic, I went to a Jesuit High School, and I attended for years Mass, I NEVER heard about other noncatholic christians teachings or mentioning of them during Mass. I learned about noncatholic christians through books, and private talk (with fellow catholics, priests) outside the parish services.

In an indirect way yes - every confirmed Lutheran knows that much of our faith is well-rooted in the Catholic & Orthodox churches.

We are reminded of that by our liturgy, too.

We bash 'em in every wednesday at Bible Study lol.
But only in doctrinal things.

[quote="Wisely, post:3, topic:287176"]

[/quote]

Why? what was the purpose?

[quote="Stilldreamn, post:2, topic:287176"]
In an indirect way yes - every confirmed Lutheran knows that much of our faith is well-rooted in the Catholic & Orthodox churches.

We are reminded of that by our liturgy, too.

[/quote]

[quote="Patavium, post:1, topic:287176"]
A question for our nonCatholic friends, and former nonCatholic friends. Does the Church YOU attend spends time during the services, bible studies, and other church activities talking about the Catholic Church?

if now you are Catholic, is this the same experience at Mass in the Catholic Church? or in other activities affiliated directly to the Catholic parish you attend?

My experience

I am a born and raised Catholic. I lapsed during some period, but returned to the Catholic Church. During my 14 years as Catholic, I went to a Jesuit High School, and I attended for years Mass, I NEVER heard about other noncatholic christians teachings or mentioning of them during Mass. I learned about noncatholic christians through books, and private talk (with fellow catholics, priests) outside the parish services.

[/quote]

At my current parish, "Roman" Catholicism is rarely mentioned during sermons, and then rarely if ever in a negative light. It is mentioned a lot more during our "adult ed" time after church. As Episcopalians, we discuss from time to time how our view of things might differ from that of the Roman Communion. Like most Episcopal parishes, we have some ex-Catholics, and sometimes they want to understand how we are different. We live in a town with a lot of Catholics--there are two large Catholic churches practically within a stone's throw of ours (not that we throw any stones:p). So the subject comes up. The most negative comments usually have to do with the perceived exclusivism of "Roman Catholics." The priest thinks that you guys think you are the only real Christians, and I keep saying, "No, they just think they are the only Catholics!" One of our older members has a son who married a Catholic and brought up the kids as Catholics (I think he became Catholic himself but I'm not sure), and she's very upset about the way her daughter-in-law's mother treated her when she tried to receive communion at their Catholic parish. (She honestly didn't know that the Catholic Church doesn't allow this, and it sounds as if her in-law wasn't very nice about it.) Catholic views on birth control also come up from time to time.

In all of this, the assumption most folks in the parish are working from is that the "Roman Catholics" are of course Christians, and furthermore "Catholic Christians" like us, and why on earth can't they just accept us as being like them and stop being so weird and snooty. In other words, at our worst we are not at all like anti-Catholic fundamentalists. (I am always the one who has to explain why "Roman Catholics" do the weird things they do and why it actually makes sense, and this does get a bit wearying.)

Edwin

We rarely talk about the Catholic church. Everyone knows that we share a common liturgical and apostolic tradition with the Catholic church and that both we and the Catholics are heirs to the original church that Jesus founded.

There are quite a few ex-Catholics and ex-Baptists in our parish. Catholics may or may not talk about the Protestant and Anglican churches, they know they exist. Many, if not most, of the hymns sung by Catholics are of Protestant or Anglican origin, just as most of our Anglican liturgy has a common origin with the Catholic liturgy.

[quote="Patavium, post:5, topic:287176"]

[/quote]

The purpose of studying the history of the Catholic Church is because that knowledge is necessary to fully understand the Lutheran doctrines. I would imagine that the Anglican church does the same.

We know who our ancestors in faith are!

[quote="Stilldreamn, post:8, topic:287176"]
The purpose of studying the history of the Catholic Church is because that knowledge is necessary to fully understand the Lutheran doctrines. I would imagine that the Anglican church does the same.

We know who our ancestors in faith are!

[/quote]

As Anglicans, we don't put it that way. Typically we see ourselves as Catholics, so we don't see "Roman" Catholics as our ancestors in faith--we see them as another manifestation of the Catholic Church. Anglicans as a whole are a bit vague as to how this works and who else is or is not part of the Catholic Church, but we're all pretty clear that at least Catholics and Orthodox are (well, some dogmatic low-church Anglicans might say otherwise, but that perspective is extremely rare in the U.S. in my experience).

Edwin

[quote="Wisely, post:3, topic:287176"]

[/quote]

Doctrinal things? :ehh:

[quote="Contarini, post:9, topic:287176"]
As Anglicans, we don't put it that way. Typically we see ourselves as Catholics, so we don't see "Roman" Catholics as our ancestors in faith--we see them as another manifestation of the Catholic Church. Anglicans as a whole are a bit vague as to how this works and who else is or is not part of the Catholic Church, but we're all pretty clear that at least Catholics and Orthodox are (well, some dogmatic low-church Anglicans might say otherwise, but that perspective is extremely rare in the U.S. in my experience).

Edwin

[/quote]

Thanks Edwin, and I apologize for the mis-characterization. Lutherans see ourselves are part of the holy catholic and apostolic church as stated in the Nicene Creed, but that is not precisely the same as your meaning, it seems.

Not too often do I hear the word "Catholic" at a Catholic NO mass. I hear the word "Christian" a lot but so much the word "Catholic".:o

I attended a non-denominational bible church for nearly five years. I witnessed various degrees of Catholic-bashing. Occasionally, I participated in it, which I regret doing. However, later in my career there, I stood up for the Catholic Church from time to time.

Most of the critiques of the Church were presented off-hand but authoritatively by laypeople. Statements like, "Catholics aren't saved" or "Catholics don't understand the Bible" were made frequently in men's ministries, informal conversations, etc. The pastors did not necessarily endorse these errors, but neither did they correct or challenge those who made the statements.

The most remarkable thing I heard, which was from a very young pastor-in-training, was that the Catholic Church is an "apostate" Church, in the same category as the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. But now that I've had my change in perspective on the Church, I sometimes think of the Protestant Churches as being closer to the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons! However, I know that the Catholic Church, in its incredible charity, has declared Protestants to be brothers and sisters with them in Christ, which is a very wise move, in my opinion.

Yes, we talk about our own Church at every liturgy when we confess faith in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. References to the other churches which call themselves Catholic are sparse, typically when converts from the one of the Latin variety ask questions about doctrinal differences. Once our priest used a story about a Latin priest who ministered to lepers on some island as an example of what a good Christian is like. Otherwise, we do not speak much of your Church.

My experience

[/quote]

In all my years in the United States, I've never heard a church service ever expressing anything at all with regards to the Catholic Church (or any other Christian denomination, for that matter). My last church actually spoke well of the faith of certain Catholics. And we had even church members who did the sign of the cross when receiving communion.

I was born and raised Catholic so I don't have much experience in other churches. However, one night I went to see my best friends fiancé perform at a non denominational church. She is an up and coming Christian singer. Anyways, there was a service before her performance so I sat and observed.

The pastor was having a hard time getting the audience as riled up as he wanted. Out of frustration he said, "Why so quiet? What are you guys, Catholic?" Obviously he had no clue I was in the audience but he said in in somewhat of a condescending tone.

I should have stood up and said, "Proud of it!" but I didn't :shrug: Any ways that's my limited experience haha.

Protestants get brought up every now and then.

The only time I can remember hearing the Roman Catholic Church brought up was by necessity when the priest, a former Eastern Catholic was using his visit to a Roman Catholic controlled holy site (something related to St. Patrick, I believe) to illustrate the point of his sermon.

An excellent sermon which would have spoken universally to all Christians. :)

edit: I'm thinking in the Sermon. I'm sure I've heard the RC's or EC's brought up more often in casual conversation after, but again, Protestants come up more often. Probably because the overwhelming majority of Christians around here are Protestant.

My experience

[/quote]

Rarely is the CC brought up, and never in a derogatory way. At times in a catechesis setting, such as a Bible class, comparatives are made to Rome, and also Reformed or Baptist, etc.If other communions are brought up in homiletics, it is for comparison, not bashing.

Jon

Perhaps this belongs in its own thread, but what about the inverse question, how often do you have non-Catholic Churches brought up in Catholic Churches.

My experience

[/quote]

Pat,

Never heard anything bad about the Catholic church whatsoever in church or any church activity. Only references were good such as Mother Teresa and a great boyscout program.

I once attended a Reformation Day in a Lutheran church. It was long ago and I remember hothing negative about the Catholic church, strange as it seems.

Rob

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.