Does the Claim Personal Relationship with God Disturb any one else

I have known born again Christian that make this statement, however I just don’t accept this statement as true Christianity. No one can have a personal relationship with God. Jesus is our intercessory between the Father and us. Jesus was the sacrifice for our sins, but it is not a personal relationship with each one of us.

I so disagree. What you say is true, but it does not go far enough. It is possible to have a personal relationship with Jesus, The Father and the Holy Spirit, that is, God. We have to take the initiative on this because He gave us free will. but if we desire and ask, He will certainly come into our lives personally. I experience t his most in Communion and Adoration, but also when doing dishes, working in the garden, and other times when I can open my heart to God.

I believe that Jesus died personally for my sins, as well as everyone else’s sins. I feel great gratitude for His sacrifice and great act of mercy.

God Bless. you in your journey.

Then you’re not accepting the teachings of the Catholic Church.

299 Because God creates through wisdom, his creation is ordered: “You have arranged all things by measure and number and weight.” The universe, created in and by the eternal Word, the “image of the invisible God”, is destined for and addressed to man, himself created in the “image of God” and called to a personal relationship with God…

2558 “Great is the mystery of the faith!” The Church professes this mystery in the Apostles’ Creed (Part One) and celebrates it in the sacramental liturgy (Part Two), so that the life of the faithful may be conformed to Christ in the Holy Spirit to the glory of God the Father (Part Three). This mystery, then, requires that the faithful believe in it, that they celebrate it, and that they live from it in a vital and personal relationship with the living and true God. This relationship is prayer.

This is incorrect thinking. Christ’s (God) relationship
with us should be both communal and intimately personal.

Ah! Just the answer I was waiting for!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Same teachings as other Christian churches…:smiley:

I believe what you are getting at is yes, Catholics can and should enjoy a personal relationship with God. However, contrary to Protestant belief, that is not enough to get us saved. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.

The difference is communal. We have BOTH a personal
and communal relationship making us one Body.
If one is deficient so too will be the other.

This is truly why there exists so many different
Protestant views and theologies. Either the denomination
is too individual or too communal.
It must be BOTH.

Jesus IS God and we most certainly do have a personal relationship with Him, and the Father, and the Holy Spirit. He said they will come and make their home in us. How much more personal can you get, other than the Eucharist?

The idea of a non-personal God is not Christianity, and is actually heresy.

How can a ‘relationship’ not be personal?

Better still, how can a relationship with one’s **Father ** not be personal?

:slight_smile:

It is not personal like some friendship you have here on Earth. What really boils my skin is claims that somehow this “personal relationship” will solve your money problems or heal you of all sickness and other such empty claims that don’t turn out to be true. I’ve known people that became “born again” who were told these type of things and when it didn’t happen they turn away from God. Christianity is about dying to Christ and suffering the pains of life on this earth. It’s not a personal relationship with God where you get all kind of rewards that others won’t get.

To boil it all down Christianity, at least to me, is about people like Mother Teressa and many others that do their part for humanity. It just isn’t about what can I get out of it that is of value to me.

Maybe I’m just uipset at people that frame “personal relationship” as an award and reward system and not about the true call of Christianity which St. Paul wrote about and experienced in his painful service and death. IMHO.

Jesus is in fact the reason why we can have a personal relationship with God (Jesus). It is true that the transcedence of God’s divine nature put Him beyond us, but now He has a human nature as well. We enter a relationship with Jesus, who is God and man, and in so doing are brought to God. Thinking that we have a good personal relationship with Jesus isn’t enough, of course, since (among other things) it is possible that we just have a personal relationship with a construct we’ve made in our minds that more reflects who we want Jesus to be than who He is, but through the sacraments (most especially the Eucharist, where we literally recieve Christ) and the Church, a true relationship is possible and necessary.

Of course, not being a particularly warm and fuzzy person myself, some of the ways this is presented (despite the fact that I couldn’t do a better job than the presentations that annoy me) grate on me, but that’s just because I’ve been a grumpy old man since third grade. I do, for instance, find the “Buddy Jesus” portrayal of this relationship, the idea that Jesus is just our best friend and little more (especially when it degenerates into Jesus wouldn’t really mind if I just did ___, not my good friend Jesus, He’s cooler than that), but the personal relationship is in fact much more than that, and it is incredibly important.

EDIT: Reading your most recent post, it sounds like what you are rejecting is more of some false ideas about what this relationship will lead to or how it should look rather than the relationship itself. There I agree with you - thinking of Jesus as our good buddy, who will smooth things over for us in this life, is problematic. But again, there is an actual personal relationship that is good.

Personally, it IS possible. But most Christians that think this way seem to only try to have a relationship with Christ. They overlook the Father and Holy Ghost! I think this is ignorant. I try to develop a relationship with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit equally. However, there are always favorites. :stuck_out_tongue: Mine is the Holy Spirit.

Disclaimer! The statements above were generalizations. Not meant to hurt or offend anyone.

Richard Feynman

Ok?

On the contrary, we must.

biblehub.com/matthew/25-10.htm

biblehub.com/matthew/25-11.htm

biblehub.com/matthew/25-12.htm

Peace,
Ed

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.