Does the Evangelical Church have something similar to the Eucharist?

Hello,
I’m wondering if the Evangelical church has something similar the Eucharist? What Churches have something similar to the Eucharist? (Lutherans?). I know that even if they did have something like that, it is not the Real Presence.

There lies the argument and the question. According to the Catholic church, the answer to that would be no. Ask a Lutheran and the answer will absolutely be yes as Lutherans do believe in a real presence and don’t believe that a pastor has to have followed a line of physical apostolic succession (laying on of hands, etc.) I don’t see how either side could give an inch on this. I’ve argued the point here a number of times if you care to look it up. The Methodists, United Church of Christ, Presbyterians, and a couple of others also believe in a “real presence” of sorts but do define it (or not define it) in different ways.

Whenever one asks what protestants think about anything, one has to first determine which ones one is talking about. Some Lutherans, for instance, believe in the Real Presence. Some don’t. Evangelicals are so diverse that I’m not sure you could be sure some group of them somewhere does not believe in it.

When it comes to protestantism generally, I’m often reminded of W.F. Buckley’s comment about the Anglican Church (which is enormously diverse). He said (and I might be paraphrasing a little) “…the Anglican Church is so eclectic that no one, from the Pope to Mao Tse-Tung can say with any degree of certitude that he is NOT an Anglican.”

There is, for better or worse, some truth to that. At the same time, one needs to keep in mind something like 70% of Catholics under the age of 40 don’t believe in a real presence. Obviously there are some real discrepancies between what doctrine, policy, teachings, etc. are and what the rank and file believe across the board.

Yes Lutherans believe in the Real Presence much like Catholics do (though not exactly).

Taken from the Augsburg Confession:

Article X: Of the Lord’s Supper.

1] Of the Supper of the Lord they teach that the Body and Blood of Christ are truly present, and are distributed 2] to those who eat the Supper of the Lord; and they reject those that teach otherwise.

bookofconcord.org/augsburgconfession.php#article10

You will also find most Anglicans believe the same (I would say all but I have fallen out of the bad habit of generalizing Anglican beliefs for as soon as you say they believe one thing you will find one that believes the contrary.) You will even find some of the Anglo-Catholic variety who accept Transubstantiation.

I have not found an evangelical church which teaches the Real Presence in the manner of the Catholic or Lutheran Church.

God bless you

Fair point. To clarify my post above, the Lutheran Church teaches the Real Presence much like the Catholic Church teaches (though not exactly). Whether there are individual Catholics or Lutherans who reject their Church’s teaching is anyone’s guess.

God bless

Well, I’m not so sure those statistics apply worldwide to the Church, but I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if they applied to this country and maybe western affluent society in general. Interestingly enough, about 70% of those claiming to be Catholic don’t even attend Mass on Sunday’s or Holy Days of Obligation in the U.S. I wonder if there could be a link there? LOL (Don’t believe in the Real Presence, why bother going to Mass? What’s there to go for?)

Continuing Anglicans - Real Presence

:confused:
What does this mean?

So there we are, two people making the same point working from different ends. Great minds thinking alike? :slight_smile:

Very true.

Actually it would not surprise me if it is in the 80’s percentage and truly sad.

That’s interesting. I’m assuming that they’re taught that it is a real presence, and they attend the church that teaches them that, so I’m honestly wondering why they don’t believe it. Do you have any ideas on why that is? Why do they go to that church if they don’t believe it? Just curious because it sounds strange. Interested in your thoughts.

The Protestant Churches I have been celebrate communion, but not reguarly. One only did so every 3 months and another was about once a month. In both cases, they stated the bread and wine are a symbol of the body and blood. In regards to evangelical, there are a lot of churches that use this name, so it is really hard to pinpont what “evangelical” acutally is. I believe that evangelical mean “believers of the good news”

I’m asking because my mom met someone in the park who is bent on changing her mind about the Catholic Church and saying how bad it is etc. That person said that they also have the Eucharist too, or something.

This is tough, I don’t think that person gives my mom a true chance to defend her point, but she may continue to politely debate with that person.

I would say this is mostly caused from poor catechesis, or lack thereof. I grew up knowing there was something special about the Eucharist, but honestly didn’t REALLY know why or what it was. I had to do some homework on my own to learn the Truth. I know many of those around me growing up Catholic were most likely in the same boat. I think the poor catechesis started in the baby boomer generation, and their kids weren’t taught anything because their parents didn’t know anything to teach them.

Is it a coincidence that the poor catechesis started around the time America started booming materialistically? Nobody knows for sure but in my opinion there is. Same probably goes for Europe.

I came across this almost exact same situation a few months ago. I said to one person that you can only recieve the Eucharist (literally the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ) in the Catholic Church (and Orthodox Church). He said that you can get that at any Christian Church. Most people that you have this argument with don’t know the difference.

To believe that you are literally recieving the Real Presence is one thing, but believing it and actually recieving it only can happen in the One Church. If you believe in the RP, then join the Catholic Church where the miracle actually happens.

Thanks for the explanation.

RESPONSES TO SOME QUESTIONS REGARDING CERTAIN ASPECTS
OF THE DOCTRINE ON THE CHURCH

FIFTH QUESTION

Why do the texts of the Council and those of the Magisterium since the Council not use the title of “Church” with regard to those Christian Communities born out of the Reformation of the sixteenth century?

RESPONSE

According to Catholic doctrine, these Communities do not enjoy apostolic succession in the sacrament of Orders, and are, therefore, deprived of a constitutive element of the Church. These ecclesial Communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood, have not preserved the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic Mystery cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called “Churches” in the proper sense.

I grew up in an evangelical church and spent 47 years as a practicing, enthusiastic, highly-involved member.

There are many different Protestant denominations included in evangelicalism. I would suggest checking out the National Association of Evangelicals to find the current list of members. There are also many different parachurch organizations that would be considered evangelical; e.g., Campus Crusade for Christ, Youth For Christ, Wycliffe Bible Translators, Jews for Jesus, etc.

My denomination was Conference Baptist, and I attended a stellar church, one that has produced many world-famous missionaries, authors, and speakers.

There is an actual denomination called “The Evangelical Church,” so I urge the OP to be careful about using this term. It could be confusing. It is more correct to simply say, “evangelicals” or “evangelical churches.”

Evangelicals vary from extremely conservative in their practices (women wear veils in church, no drinking of alcohol, no movies, etc.) to more liberal practices (makeup is fine, drinking alcohol is fine, churches meet in restaurants and bars, not only do they attend movies, they MAKE movies, etc.)

But they all pretty much share the same theological beliefs, namely that in order to “be saved,” we must accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord and follow Him.

Catholics believe that, right? (Not in those words, but we believe that we must believe in and follow Jesus and be His disciples).

What makes evangelicals different from “mainline” Protestants (Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc.–mostly older denominations) is the teaching that we must obey the Great Commission in Matthew 28: 18-20 and constantly be involved in evangelism–sharing the Good News about Jesus Christ and His love for us. Our purpose on this earth is to go into all the world and preach the Gospel, baptize people, and teach them to do all the Christ commanded.

Again, Catholics believe that, right?

To this end, evangelicals seek to find ways to obey the Great Commission. Some simply witness to Christ’s Gospel in their daily lives through their actions, but they are always conscious that they are ambassodors for Christ and that others are watching.

Some get involved in street witnessing or door-to-door witnessing.

Some preach, either in church or in tents, stadiums, down by the river, on the street corner, on television, through media, or anywhere that people will listen.

Some create art, music, theater, etc. that attracts people to the Lord

Some get involved with need-based ministries, seeking to help others with their practical needs (e.g., World Vision is an evangelical organization that tries to help the poor all around the world).

Some get involved in politics and make sure that God’s point of view is held up in government.

But in everything an evangelical does, they attempt to share Christ with non-believers.

Catholics do that, right?

Evangelical churches do NOT believe in Sacraments. (Mainline Protestants DO believe in Sacraments.)

Instead, evangelicals teach “ordinances” of the church, which are practices that Jesus Christ Himself taught in the New Testament. (Evangelicals do not include any kind of tradition or “sacred tradition” in their teachings. They believe in sola Scriptura, that the Bible is the sole authority for the Christian.)

The two ordinances in the evangelical churches are baptism and communion.

Both of these are symbolic.

Baptism is “outer evidence of an inner change.”

There are some mainline churches that are considered evangelical, and they still practice infant baptism. These churches actually teach that babies are brought “into the covenant” by their baptism.

But most evangelical churches teach “believer’s baptism,” which means that a person who has accepted Jesus Christ into their heart as personal Savior is baptized to witness to the world that they believe in Jesus. You see, even the baptism is an evangelical act (telling the Good News to others) in evangelical churches.

As for communion, evangelicals teach that the ordinance is purely symbolic. They do NOT teach or believe in any kind of “Presence” of Jesus in the grape juice or bread/crackers. To an evangelical, Jesus is physically present ONLY in other believers; all Christians have Jesus in their heart and are His Hands, His Feet, His Voice, here on this earth. There is no corporal Presence of Jesus on earth at this time in Church history.

I hope this information is helpful. I suggest again looking at the National Association of Evangelicals for more information.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.