Does the Holy Spirit dwell in everyone, or only in Christians?

Does the Holy Spirit dwell in everyone, since everyone is capable of being kind, and only Christians notice the Holy Spirit working within them/call it the Holy Spirit? Or is the Holy Spirit only in Christians, coming to them once they’ve accepted belief in God/invited God into their heart?

Ordinarily The Holy Spirit enters into us at Baptism. However, God is not bound by the sacraments like we are so He can choose to place His Spirit in whoever He chooses. I believe there are instances in Scripture where The Holy Spirit comes upon unbaptized people. But generally, it is by Baptism. It’s not by default

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit includes all three divine persons and occurs with the state of sanctifying grace.

John 14:23:

“If any one loves me, he will keep my word. And my father will love him; and we will come to him and will make our abode with him”

We can be ASSURED of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit through Christian Baptism, but as has been said, God is not bound by anything or anyone.
God bless.

Those who can receive The Spirit of Truth…

John 14:17
"Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."

James 4:4
"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."

“Let us create man in _our_image”. So, yes, the Holy Spirit dwells within all men.

Whether all men imitate the God who’s image we are created in, is the question.

As I understand it, the Holy Spirit permeates the entire universe. But only “indwells” Christians.

God is said to be everywhere and in all things, i.e., the whole of creation, by his power, presence, and essence. God is in all things by his power, inasmuch all things are subject to his power; He is by his presence in all things, as all things are bare and open to his eyes; He is in all things by his essence, inasmuch he is present to all as the cause of their being (St Thomas Aquinas). Fourthly, God is said to exist in some things such as human beings and angels in a special and supernatural manner through sanctifying grace. Only those who possess sanctifying grace does the Holy Spirit dwell in a special and supernatural manner in this fourth mode of God existing in things.

No the Holy Spirit does not dwell in everyone…nor in everyone who professes to be a Christian outside the Catholic Church by simply inviting Christ into their hearts.

The Holy Spirit and its 7 fruits are conferred upon a trinitarian baptized Christian but only under the Apostolic succession of the Sacrament of Confirmation by the Catholic Church. Whether thats a child being confirmed or an adult converting from a protestant denomination.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.