Does the Koran have an Old Testament?

Does the Koran (the Muslim holy book) have the Old Testament or something similar to it?

If so, in what ways is it different from the Catholic Old Testament?

In a word, no. The Koran was supposedly dictated to Mohammed over a period of years. The Muslims believe that it is the perfect word of Allah dictated word for word and copied by Mohammed the Prophet.

I would suggest that you search this website to get more reliable information about the Koran and why it is so very different from the Bible for the books are completely different and there are many beliefs that Muslims have that contradict the teachings of Jesus.

I’m not entirely sure, but I think Muslims believe in the Old and New Testaments, but they don’t really follow them and they believe they have been corrupted. Islam divides the Old and New Testaments into the Taurat (Torah), the Zabur (Psalms), and the Injeel (Gospel); all of which, according to Islam, have had their original message lost or corrupted.

As far as I am aware, the Koran does not have an Old Testament or anything equivalent to it.

That said, I looked for an unbiased introduction to the Qur’an but could not find a good one. I did not want to post an Islamic source because often times Islamic websites have a tendency to proselytize and I would not feel comfortable posting such a website.

Hello,

The only texts they consider sacred and complete are the Quran and the Sunna (contains the hadiths which are a compilation of teachings and conversations from Muhammad) which they both require as I recall from islamic studies back in high school.

Also, further to what mikeeh has mentioned in order to avoid confusion such as something like ‘does this mean that muslims previously believed in Christian teachings?’: In fact, as muslims do hold that the preceding books such as the Torah, zabur, and Injeel, were Divine revelations they would argue that these came with the prophets ( who were 'muslims) and only they held to scriptures truly and that their followers corrupted them. I have a close muslim friend at university so we’ve discussed TN this several times. She would tell me that i.e. John the Baptist and Jesus, followed the injeel, as ‘true muslims’ and that the injeel or gospel was corrupted.

So to answer your question briefly: muslims seem to ‘believe’ that held these texts once. But do they have them? Not at all, because they cant tell us what happened to them other than nonsense like they had been corrupted without even being able to discuss what it is that was initially corrupted. The only answer i recieved from my friend when I tried to ask what they were about was that God had destroyed the books which gave no fruit to the discussion but I hope you actually learnt something in regards to what muslims hold today as sacred scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.