Does the legitimacy of my confirmation depend on the sponsor?

I am just wondering because my confrimation sponsor isn't exactly the greatest Catholic individual out there, and in every sense of the word he's Catholic in name only. Part of the reason my parents chose him is because we don't have many Catholic relatives since my parents were older, and my father didn't have any younger relatives, while my aunt and uncle on my mom's side were the only Catholics she's related to. So was my confirmation invalid?
I don't think it would be, but I don't know

No, your confirmation is/would still be valid.

[quote="WildCatholic, post:1, topic:312568"]
So was my confirmation invalid?

[/quote]

Go back and read the Catechism on Confirmation.

Who is the one doing the confirming? What is the form and matter for the sacrament?

No. Even a baptism does not not depend on the sponsor. :)

The validity of the Confirmation does not depend on the sponsor as the 1983 Code of Canon Law notes that the minister of the Sacrament is a bishop or a priest and implies that having a sponsor is not absolutely necessary though preferable. It is recommended that the sponsor would be the same as that during Baptism. Notably the Catechism of the Council of Trent teaches that Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace.

THE MINISTER OF CONFIRMATION

Can. 882 The ordinary minister of confir-mation is a bishop; a presbyter provided with this faculty in virtue of universal law or the special grant of the competent authority also confers this sacrament validly.

SPONSORS

Can. 892 Insofar as possible, there is to be a sponsor for the person to be confirmed; the sponsor is to take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations inherent in this sacrament.

Can. 893 §1. To perform the function of sponsor, a person must fulfill the conditions mentioned in ⇒ can. 874.

§2. It is desirable to choose as sponsor the one who undertook the same function in baptism.

No, your sponsor doesn't affect the validity. The sacrament is conferred by the bishop. Your own preparation doesn't affect the sacrament either since babies can be and are confirmed.

However, for your own faith development which is on-going beyond confirmation, you may want to find someone who can help you. Perhaps a friend's parents or older sibiling. Become involved with the youth group or a another parish group that will help you and be a resource when you have questions.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.