Does the Lord condone polygamy?

From the readings of june 13th:

FIRST READING: 2 Samuel 12: 7 - 10, 13
7 Nathan said to David, "You are the man. Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, `I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you out of the hand of Saul;
8 and I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if this were too little, I would add to you as much more.
9 Why have you despised the word of the LORD, to do what is evil in his sight? You have smitten Uri’ah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife, and have slain him with the sword of the Ammonites.
10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me, and have taken the wife of Uri’ah the Hittite to be your wife.’
13 David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die.

It seems that the lord does condone polygamy or should there be a different interpretation of these verses?

There’s no different interpretation.

As a KING ruling over the people in Israel, God gave David special privileges. That’s all.

Jesus made a very clear stand on this.

Matthew 19:4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

10His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

11But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

God willed for each man to a wife. We can see this clearly in Matthew 19.

Personally, I feel that if a man has more than 1 wife, God will not penalise him for it. The requirement however is that he must not divorce ANY of them.

As Catholics, our faith centers on Jesus Christ, not the Old Testament. You hear homilies that have references to the Old Testament and its people, but the focus is on Jesus Christ and His gospel, its demands, and His admonition about remarrying after divorce. He does not refer to polygamy but to the lifelong union between man and woman that ends in death. He says there is no marriage in heaven. He will satisfy all needs. But those who endure in Jesus Christ will be with Him in the next life. It can also be said that people whose friendships have been based on Jesus Christ will have friendships continue and grow in heaven, but through Jesus Christ and for Jesus Christ. He is the Alpha and the Omega.

According to Christianity, Jesus is the final revelation about Who God is. He fulfills all prophets, Jesus Christ is True God and True Man, Prophet, King, and Messiah.

So Catholicism focuses on Jesus Christ and His gospels and the sacred fidelity of marriage between man and woman.

I would also include that Christ later points Moses’ concession to human sinfulness:

[quote=Matthew 19:8] He said to them, "Because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
[/quote]

Clearly, the Law was not perfect under Moses.

The first reading in church last Sunday was from the old testament. In fact, the first reading is usually from the old testament and the second reading is usually from the new testament. So, the catholic faith does also center itself on the old testament.

Now mormons have been condemned on the catholic friends for their practice of polygamy and yet, here we have the lord giving David all of his master’s wives to hold. That is polygamy. So, it seems that the mormons could have instruction from god to practice polygamy. It certainly would not be impossible.

lol…leave it to you to base your comments on an OT custom.

Based on your posts on this board, you should have a serious talk with your Priest about being a lector, if you truly are one

Why Me,

Sincerely, from reading and being taught the Gospels my whole life, I do not see justification for polygamy with the new life Jesus Christ promises us in Him…

The catholic church centers itself in the old and new testament and the readings prove my point. I defend the mormons where they need defending. I don’t see it as charitable to constantly bash mormons for their beliefs and nitpick their faith.

All religions can be nitpicked to death. But on this forum it would not be possible to nitpick the catholic faith without being banned. So, catholics have a safe house here.

But in my reading, the lord is definitely supporting polygamy which means that it would not be impossible for him to do so with the mormons. And that was my point.

Actually, it is polygyny.

As Catholics, we aren’t bound to the 613 Mitzvot, either. Our faith isn’t “centered” around the Old Covenant, but uses reading there to highlight the lessons from the Gospel.

For the readings this week, the lesson was God’s forgiveness, not defending polygyny.

Yes, I would be very surprised, because, up to now, you have shown you know very little. And yes, I believe your Priest would fins something wrong with defending LDS Doctrine. And no, Jesus was clear…

But, your reputation is that you try to use 400 BC Isreal standards for 1800s America.

Yes, based on that kind of logic, I would be very surprised

I see whyme is back to this bit about been a Catholic and a Mormon at the same time. He will be telling us next about how he knows priests and nuns who have no problem at all with him holding such a position…

No priest or no nun would have any problems with any of my posts on this forum. There is nothing in the catholic faith that says that we should tear down someone elses faith. Rather, we should follow the example of Mother Theresa and show love for one another regardless of faith.

The point was: it was practiced in the old testament and the lord did not have a problem. In fact, he encouraged it in david.

Really tom, I know very little? One thing that I do know, I see nothing in the catholic faith that encourages people to tear down someone else’s faith. The catholics that I work with do not do it. And it certainly is not encouraged.

But the point of this thread was to point out that the lord did encourage polygamy by giving another man’s wives to david. Now that is something.

You are not defending mormonism here. You are promoting polygamy.

We can still love while pointing out erroneous beliefs.

Did Athanasius give Arians a pass because he didn’t want to “tear down” their faith? Did Irenaeus tell gnostics “I’m okay, you’re okay, we just believe different things”?

It is out of love that we seek to correct our LDS brothers and sisters.

Why me…First reading, second reading…you are a lector? I have been as well…I assumed you were a Mormon although you don’t identify yourself…

The Catholic Church and the gospels do not teach polygamy. Catholic sacramental marriage is only ended in death.

=why me;6747058]From the readings of june 13th:

FIRST READING: 2 Samuel 12: 7 - 10, 13
7 Nathan said to David, "You are the man. Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, `I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you out of the hand of Saul;
8 and I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if this were too little, I would add to you as much more.
9 Why have you despised the word of the LORD, to do what is evil in his sight? You have smitten Uri’ah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife, and have slain him with the sword of the Ammonites.
10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me, and have taken the wife of Uri’ah the Hittite to be your wife.’
13 David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die.

It seems that the lord does condone polygamy or should there be a different interpretation of these verses?

Does… NO!

Did… yes but tolerate is a more accurate discription. It was a common Pagan practice, that God weaned away from.

I think you are misreading this passage. The point is that David DID sin when he took Uriah’s wife, and Nathan admonishes him for this, but God is merciful and forgives him.

This reading is about the forgiveness of sin, not David’s many wives. We had this reading last week in Church along with others, and the point was - God forgives sinners!!!

PJM, yes ‘tolerance’ would be the better representation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.