Does the Mass sacrifice Christ over and over?

Greetings in Christ.

I would like to have a clarification if possible of something I read in another book (a Protestant one) concerning the Mass. Many fundamentalists claim that in the Mass our Lord is sacrificed continually on the Altar which is claimed by fundamentalists to be against the scriptures (specifically Hebrews 7:27) Could you briefly clarify for me what Catholics believe regarding what happens in the Mass with regard to Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross.

Sincerely in Christ,

George Everson

Dear George,

The sacrifice of Jesus on the cross transcends time. It covers all those who lived before Good Friday and all those who came after it. The Catholic Church has never taught that it offers a NEW sacrifice at each Mass. The Mass is the SAME sacrifice offered on Calvary—extended through time and sacramentally made present in our present life situations. This has been the teaching of the Church from its earliest days:

catholic.com/library/Institution_of_the_Mass.asp

catholic.com/library/Sacrifice_of_the_Mass.asp

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.