Does the New American bible really say this?

Does the New American bible really say this ?

www3.sympatico.ca/shabir.ally/new_page_19.htm

[quote="Civitate_Dei, post:1, topic:309777"]
Does the New American bible really say this ?

www3.sympatico.ca/shabir.ally/new_page_19.htm

[/quote]

Oh, please -not this crud again! Give it a rest. No more anti Christian sites.they are not allowed. What are you trolling for anyway?

excuse me? who said I was trolling? I just came across some stuff on the internet that I wanted some answers to. This is called catholic answers is it not?

[quote="Civitate_Dei, post:3, topic:309777"]
excuse me? who said I was trolling? I just came across some stuff on the internet that I wanted some answers to. This is called catholic answers is it not?

[/quote]

Yes but anti christian sites are not to be promoted which you do by putting a link.

[quote="juliamajor, post:4, topic:309777"]
Yes but anti christian sites are not to be promoted which you do by putting a link.

[/quote]

I am a christian . I am not promoting anti-christian ideas but want some apologetics dealing with these matters. Do you understand that?

I agree, Civitate Dei. I don't get why julia thinks this is trolling.

I think it might be because... well... no one likes the footnotes in the New American Bible. Not even the Catholics. It's a foregone conclusion something is deficient in them. What possessed the scholars to add such at times godless notes is beyond me.

It's a significant weak point in the New American translation, and these Moslems are exploiting it to the full. Notes that not even all Catholics agree with. Notes that are not universally approved.

Of course, these do seem like fundamentalists rather than intelligent Moslems. I would like to see answers to their apparent discoveries, nonetheless.

The main thing going on here is the vast difference in understanding between Christian scholarship & exegesis, and islamic acceptance that their book was dictated verbatim from allah. They - muslims - cannot hope to understand the journey of our Scriptures, that it is interwoven with human history as their beliefs about allah is that he is incapable of the immanance of the Judaic / Christian experience. For example, they refuse to refer to him as 'father' as this is a human title, far too intimate and unworthy of his godly majesty. Our understanding is that God has revealed Himself as Father, and that He desires an intimate relationship with us.

Secondly, the koran (spelling varies) was written in arabic, which is still spoken / written today with very little change. Thus, they see their book as pure and untainted by interpretation, whereas the Bible has become corrupted by interpretation. Even the original King James Bible is hard going to the modern English speaker, and that's only a few hundred years old!

Thirdly, islam does not have exegesis! Whereas we excavate every word of our Bible to glean all we can from it, muslims, who may well expound on their writings, but never do so in a critical or analytical manner - they don't see the value of it and regard such enquiry as a blasphemy.

For what it's worth, my advise is to ignore islamic attempts at understanding or exploiting our Scripture, but instead concentrate on the wonderous gift of being Sons & Daughters of God our true Father in Christ Jesus.

Oh, and by way of personal recommendation, the Jeruslaem Bible is a very good translation and makes for good reading.

Does the Bible say that Islam is correct?

No.

Charity, charity. We answer with charity.

OP, this is a site created by a muhammadian trying to convert Catholics, nothing more and nothing less. He's using a technique called "proof texting", where one pulls little bits from a document out of context in order to make their point seem valid. I deal with this quite often with bible-based protestants. The muhammadians believe that Allah speaks only arabic, which is why the Queran must be memorized in arabic and recited in arabic. I'd advise you to keep away from such nonsense in the future. There is little value to be found there.

[quote="TarkanAttila, post:6, topic:309777"]
I agree, Civitate Dei. I don't get why julia thinks this is trolling.

I think it might be because... well... no one likes the footnotes in the New American Bible. Not even the Catholics. It's a foregone conclusion something is deficient in them. What possessed the scholars to add such at times godless notes is beyond me.

It's a significant weak point in the New American translation, and these Moslems are exploiting it to the full. Notes that not even all Catholics agree with. Notes that are not universally approved.

Of course, these do seem like fundamentalists rather than intelligent Moslems. I would like to see answers to their apparent discoveries, nonetheless.

[/quote]

In evangelical Protestantism there is a popular study Bible known as the "Schofield Reference Bible" and many consider the footnotes of this work to be as inspired as the text. (BTW Mr Schofield was a disciple of John Nelson Darby who in the early 1800s popularized the Protestant doctrine of "The Rapture")

The Bible doesn’t mention islam or mohammed by name at all. some muslims will try to tell you otherwise, but other than the expression “false prophet” they are not relevant to the Christian religion.

[quote="philial, post:11, topic:309777"]
The Bible doesn't mention islam or mohammed by name at all. some muslims will try to tell you otherwise, but other than the expression "false prophet" they are not relevant to the Christian religion.

[/quote]

The bible doesn't mention Islam or Muhammad by name because Islam wasn't 'invented' until the 7th Century AD. Islam is an Abrahamic religion which believes that God revealed 'himself' through several prophets starting with Adam, including Jesus and ending with Muhammad in 7th century. They believe firmly in one God - they have a problem with Christianity and its Trinity. Muslims, Jews and Christians were known as 'People of the Book' (Old Testament).

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:10, topic:309777"]
In evangelical Protestantism there is a popular study Bible known as the "Schofield Reference Bible" and many consider the footnotes of this work to be as inspired as the text. (BTW Mr Schofield was a disciple of John Nelson Darby who in the early 1800s popularized the Protestant doctrine of "The Rapture")

[/quote]

Oh the irony. Martin Luther (assuming he was what they thought he was) would be rolling in his grave. :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.