Does the plan B pill warrant excommunication?

Hello,

My best friend is very upset. Over the weekend, she got significantly intoxicated and invited a guy over. She does not remember having intercourse, but like I said, she was intoxicated. Also the guy has sworn to her that they did not. Unfortunately, she is the worrying type and took the Plan B pill just to be safe. Due to the point in her cycle, it is highly unlikely that she would've gotten pregnant even if they had sex (which based on what I know, I don't believe they did). Anyway, she's now freaking out that she will be excommunicated from the Church. Can anyone please enlighten me on this topic so I can pass the info along to her? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless!

Hi,

No; she is not excommunicated. Just tell her to go to Confession and she will be at peace. Taking the pill is a mortal sin, but certainly one that can be forgiven.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.