Does the principle of "baptism of blood" apply to those who die to those who are in a state of mortal sin but die for the faith?

Hello,

Just curious. I know that if someone were already baptized and in a state of mortal sin, then they cannot be baptized again. But if someone had committed a mortal sin, had internally repented of it but had not had the opportunity to make it to confession before they are killed for the faith, would they be damned or saved?

-dje101

God is not limited to the Sacraments. If they repented, they can be saved.

I think of a passage from St. Faistina’s diary where she’s visiting some of the souls in Purgatory some of whom were wicked in life but by the prayers of others or some good deed of their own, were able to cooperate with Grace and repent, going to a harsh place in Purgatory, but having the assurance they’d be in Heaven.

If they are truly repentant for having offended God, in what the Church calls “perfect contrition”, the Church teaches that their sins are forgiven and therefore they would be saved.

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

Agreed. When non-Catholics ask me about the sacraments, I say that god is not limited by them, but they are the surest, simplest path to heaven. There’s never a time when a sacrament doesn’t “work,” except when done invalidly.

It wouldn’t be baptism, it would be the Sacrament of Confession. The Church teaches the grace and forgiveness of the Sacrament of Confession can be received by desiring to receive the Sacrament of Confession as soon as possible. So in your example, it wouldn’t be the martyrdom that saves, it would be first desiring Confession by being truly repentant, and the martyrdom would come afterwards.

So then, say, someone who was in mortal sin and died in a plane crash/car accident before getting to confession, the effects of the sacrament would still be applied?

If the person is truly repentant of their sins in “perfect contrition”, than yes, because in this, the desire for confession is at least implicitly implied even if it is not explicitly “thought of” in that moment. These are just basic priciples, God is the judge of the “truth” of that persons heart, desires, intentions, culpability, contrition, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.