Does the Quran teach Terrorism? - Mufti Menk

ISIL members will for example point to verses in the Quran, specifically the verse "fight them where ever they are found " as a justification for Muslims attacking or killing Shia Muslims.

The Muslim Imam in the following video talks about how some non Muslims will pick up a Quran and suggest that the Quran preaches terrorism , the Muslim Imam then suggests that Islam teaches peace and that “fight them where ever they are found” was irt to specific time in history.

I hope that seeing a Muslim Imam rightfully deny the view that Islam teaches terror, will help out those whom have the view that Islam teaches terror. Islam teaches peace, ISIL members suggest Islam is not a religion of peace, but this Muslim Imam suggests Islam promotes peace.

youtube.com/watch?t=151&v=Mnd5cjQZOA8

Thank you for sharing this.

It’s very important to recognize those among our Muslim brothers and sisters who work for peace and understanding and support them in their efforts.

Just make sure you follow forum rules for inter-religious dialogue.

You say that the Islamic State In Syria (ISIS) makes the claim that the Qur’an contains the reason for their terrorism and is the justification for their actions. Your statement appears to cast doubt on their statement that it is the reason for their terrorism and is the justification for their actions.

What, then, is the reason for what ISIS is doing?

The same reason that people of any religion and no religion have committed terrible evil in the name of their beliefs.

The same reason that people of any religion and no religion have committed terrible evil in the name of their beliefs.
[/quote]

So what is it in the Qur’an that they are misunderstanding? What do they think it says and what do you think it says?

I’m sure Matthew can add to what I am saying but religion has fallen into the abyss of associating ourselves with the NAME of the religion rather than its core teachings.

So when a Muslim insists that all on earth should become Muslim, he/she is insisting that we simply declare that we are Muslim (and then go off on our merry way doing whatever sin we like)

What God actually wants is for all humans to PRACTICE “Islam”

What that means is to strive earnestly day by day, to be obedient to all His Commandments, to live our lives according to His attributes and His Will. Saying that you are a Muslim or a Christian or a Baha’i or a Jew means NOTHING to God, and is the least for our salvation.

Humanity is stuck and attached to what Baha’u’llah refers to as, the Kingdom of Names (which in reality is a form of idol worship)

That’s the difference.

Evil is committed when one is practising extremist attachment to a “Name”

Should I ask what was in the Bible that Charlemagne misunderstood when he lopped off heads in converting the pagans by the sword, or what the people who burned witches alive were misunderstanding?

No.

I love how Muslims go back literally hundreds of years to reference some obscure Christian “atrocity” and all we have to do is turn the TV on today to see reality.

And which Muslim did that antihippy?

I thought it too be in my interest and others too release myself from Muslim civil stereotypes and embarked upon a review of what they hold dear in bind format and unsurprisingly there is at least two paragraphs that give themselves over two a warped sense of justice directly and indirectly, the first quite normal for the law, i.e allowance of killing he/ she who has killed and the second being left up to the readers understanding of revenge which was then only able for god too determine weather acceptable or not, ( some as we no choose peace others see peace as a sacrifice too god notwithstanding the human rights law being held up for criticism and annihilation , " Law , wall , live, evil " machine, empty planet, ( don’t try that with machine ) :smiley: " Bless them,

SO not withstanding philosophy on a acute spiritual dysmorthia too life and an understandable desperation for g_od " the book they hold dear for many ultimately leaves them no choice but too please g_ od , but in there way, but also those that choose peace other than death are possibly equally responsible of being self righteous or self righteously merciful, AKA Long term for others SLOW DDEEAATH . . Whooppee

( Lots off Christians are just as bad …

Other than Osama Bin Laden and countless other Muslims who routinely cite the crusades as justification for a “counter attack?” You’re kidding, right?

Our own President (not a Muslim, possibly an atheist), made a moral equivalence between the crusades and current Muslim atrocities. Comparisons between nearly ancient Christian “atrocities” and current Muslim atrocities are daily occurrences. Do you notice that no one is asking if Catholicism promotes terrorism? It doesn’t even make sense as a question. Do you notice that no one asks if Jesus advocated violent jihad, wife beating and forced conversions? Why do you think we ask this of Islam?

Terrorism is rampant throughout the Muslim world. It’s cross cultural and transnational. It has no defining income disparity characteristics or social status underpinnings. Rich, poor, Sunni, Shia, Saudi or Iranian…doesn’t matter. They all share one defineing characteristic. Can you guess what it is?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it’s a duck.

catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/other-religions/islam.html

I’ll highlight the section in that link that I think answers your question.

(as you’ll see, all the emphasis is mine)

:
Not the least embarrassing provisions of the Koran for Moslem commentators are those advocating a Holy War, Jihad, against pagans, Jews and Christians. Yet these prescriptions are historically most significant to explain the propagation of Islam for upwards of a thousand years. Three passages are classic and deserve to be quoted in full.

First is a duty stated in general terms, in the same context with pilgrimages and fasting. Its language recalls the situation that Mohammed faced in his conflict with the recalcitrant Meccans who resisted his revelations.
Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but do not transgress limits, for Allah loves not transgressors. Slay them whenever you find them and drive them from whence they have expelled you, for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Fight them on until sedition is no more and allegiance is rendered to God alone. But if they desist, then make no aggression except against evildoers.25
The foregoing was not merely directive but prescriptive, and not only for the early period of Moslem origins but for all its subsequent history. Yet it does not so directly touch the grave issue of ordering the sword for the extension and not only for the preservation of Islam. Two other passages do so overtly and have for centuries been understood to refer to Jews and Christians, besides the pagan polytheists.
When the Sacred Months (of truce) are over, kill those who ascribe partners to God, wheresoever you find them. Seize them, encompass them, and ambush them. Then if they repent and observe the prayer, and pay the alms, let them go their way. Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the last day, who prohibit not what God and His prophet have forbidden, and who refuse allegiance to the True Faith until they pay the tribute readily after being brought low. The Jews say, “Fzra is the son of Allah,” and the Christians say, “Christ is the son of Allah;” that is their saying with their mouth. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah Himself fights against them. How perverse they are!26
This duty of waging a Holy War against unbelievers is a collective obligation, not an individual one. According to Islamic tradition, the world is divided into subjugated zones and regions not yet under Moslem control. To conquer the latter is an apostolic venture and those who die in the cause are not dead. “They are living. With their Lord they have provision, rejoicing because of that which Allah has bestowed upon them of His bounty.”
While it is impossible to find a complete consensus of Moslem opinion on the subject, modern Islamic commentators fairly agree on certain general facts and interpretations about the Holy War. Next to their attitude toward women, they feel that Moslems have been most misinterpreted in their attitude toward the use of force.
Apologists for the more liberal view, who are in the majority, admit that the Koran teaches the Jihad, but they insist this should be balanced by other verses where toleration is proclaimed. There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error.For each one We have appointed a divine law and traced out a way. Had Allah willed, He could have made you one community. But that He may try you by that which He has given you (He has made you as you are), wherefore press forward in good works. Unto Allah you will all return, and He will then tell you concerning that wherein you disagree.
Say: O disbelievers! I worship not that which you worship; nor do you worship that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which you worship, nor will you worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.27
When reflecting on their record in history, Moslems admit to the widespread use of force, but make the countercharge that every religion at some stages in its career has been used by its professors to mask aggressions and Islam is no exception. They make three basic denials in this area: that Islam’s record of intolerance is greater than that of other major religions, that Western histories have been fair to Islam in their accounts of its use of force, and that blots on their history are due to the principles of their faith.

You’re not even Muslim and yet you claim that this one random/obscure Imam is teaching “true” Islam? Google “imam teaches kill all the Jews” to see 10 imams for your 1. It’s terrible to watch, but easy to find.

It is tiring to watch western liberals apologize for Islam and talk about how the Qu’ran “should” be interpreted; western patronizing at its finest. The truth is that the people who get to determine what Islam teaches are people who are Islamic! Their actions speak loudly for their interpretation.

I hope that seeing a Muslim Imam rightfully deny the view that Islam teaches terror, will help out those whom have the view that Islam teaches terror. Islam teaches peace, ISIL members suggest Islam is not a religion of peace, but this Muslim Imam suggests Islam promotes peace.

youtube.com/watch?t=151&v=Mnd5cjQZOA8

I suppose my question to you is, why is your interpretation of their scripture better than their own interpretation of their scripture?

Thanks, and I agree with what you have to say.

ISIL is saying that the Quran condones the action of killing Shia Muslims, non Muslims, even other Sunni Muslims whom disagree with ISIL. This can be seen on videos that ISIL members themselves film where ISIL will run a quote from the Quran and then we will see a criminal act take place.

I see ISIL as a group similar to past extremist groups such as the KKK, the KKK said they were following the ways of the Bible,while these days ISIL suggests it is following the ways of the Quran.

As to your question, I believe that it is my duty as a Catholic to not give ISIL the credit that ISIL wants. I believe that ISIL is attempting to create a war between Muslims and non Muslims, so I feel that by bringing forth Islamic scripture and Muslim Imams whom suggest Islam is peaceful and tolerate, that I am doing my duty as a Catholic to take a stand against ISIL.

Pope Francis has spoken positively of Muslims,

*I also think with affection of those Muslim immigrants who this evening begin the fast of Ramadan, which I trust will bear abundant spiritual fruit. *
-Pope Francis

Published on Jul 8, 2013

en.romereports.com During his visit to the island of Lampedusa, the Pope sent his best wishes to Muslims in light of the start of the Ramadan. The Pope greeted them by saying ‘o’scià’, which is a phrase in the island’s dialect meaning ‘my breath’ and is used by locals as a friendly greeting. .

more

youtube.com/watch?v=kFFP9M_ayTI

FWIW I’m not a western liberal, that is if that comment was directed at me. I disagree with the AQ, ISIL, Boko haram folks who will suggest that Islamic scripture teaches to be intolerant of others, I would also disagree with folks who suggest that the Bible teaches to be intolerant of others.

Fwiw I do feel that the Church has taught and teaches that we ought to promote good relations between Muslims and Christians,

*Waiting to greet the pope on Arab soil was King Abdullah II, the 43rd descendent of the prophet Mohammed, accompanied by his wife Rania.

After the Vatican City and Jordanian national anthems were played, the king made a plea for a solution to the people of Palestine, and highlighted the fundamental role that religion plays in the course of humanity and in human dignity.

Abdullah II
“Today, together, we must renew our commitment to mutual respect. Here and now, we must create a new and global dialogue of understanding and good will.”

Benedict XVI
“My visit to Jordan gives me a welcome opportunity to speak of my deep respect for the Muslim community, and to pay tribute to the leadership shown by His Majesty the King in promoting a better understanding of the virtues proclaimed by Islam.”

The pope thanked the kings for allowing the construction of churches in Jordan. He said it was a gesture of respect for other religions and called for the defense of religious freedoms throughout the world, not just in the Middle East.

Benedict also said he hopes his visit would promote good relations between Christians and Muslims.*

youtube.com/watch?v=6NqnVefK8M4

I don’t mean liberal in the sense you may think. A Western liberal is someone steeped in the liberal (classical sense) ethos of multiculturalism, democracy and equality.

Where does our interpretation of Islam come from? What is your authority? It seems to me you are not an Islamic follower and certainly not a scholar and yet you interpret Islam in a way that contradicts many other common interpretations. It looks more like wishful thinking to me. You want it to be a religion of peace even though current events seem to suggest otherwise.

Pope Francis’ opinion is irrelevant in this discussion as he is certainly no Islamic scholar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.