Does the seminary you attend have a dress code?

mine will have one.

Every day of all classes prayers meals and formal events. I have to wear, Black slacks, white/black polo, or white button up shirt. Black socks. Solid Black causal shoes.

For sunday mass I must wear, Black suit white solid shirt black solid tie. Black Dress shoes and socks.

The polo shirts may have emblems as long as they are not outrageous. School emblems or diocese emblems are acceptable.

I will be going to st Joseph seminary college.

I don 't mind the fact that they are doing this, I think its a good way to instill some discipline to the students and some obedience to authority. Two things that will probably be a part of their priesthood.

I've heard the graduate seminary in New Orleans will not have a dress code, with the exception of ordained deacons of course.

What! No khakis or gray trousers? And no turtlenecks?

I’m pretty sure khakis are acceptable, they said no jeans or cargos

so as long as its black, pants and no extra or big pockets and it looks dressy you are good.

Trutlenecks I’m not sure

I only listed the things I would wear.

lets say you became a priest would you be able to wear gray trousers as your clerics or turtlenecks as your clerics. It may be slightly on the extreme side but it does teach Men what it is like to where the relatively same thing every day.

I see what you are saying. I just happen to like a little variety, and honestly, it always bothers when I see a priest in a short-sleeved clerical shirt and black trousers! I think to myself, “now wouldn’t that shirt looking better with some khakis?” Fashionwise, I tend to dress in complementary colors rather than in just one color. Anyway, keep us updated!

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:4, topic:250869"]
I see what you are saying. I just happen to like a little variety, and honestly, it always bothers when I see a priest in a short-sleeved clerical shirt and black trousers! I think to myself, "now wouldn't that shirt looking better with some khakis?" Fashionwise, I tend to dress in complementary colors rather than in just one color. Anyway, keep us updated!

[/quote]

If God calls me to have a dress code in order for me to serve him as a priest then I will do it no questions asked.

[quote="catholictiger, post:5, topic:250869"]
If God calls me to have a dress code in order for me to serve him as a priest then I will do it no questions asked.

[/quote]

True! I guess that I am the questioning (but mostly only for muself; with others, I can be a bit domineering), "getting away with whatever I can" type. I realize that I probably need to have more humility.

Mine does. I go to Semianry of Christ the King in Mission, B.C. I got used to it now and now I try not to wear other clothing as much as possible (even during summer break). I prefer the white shirt and black pants. We're allowed regular shirts but still the black pants are needed. I wish seminaries would have cassocks as a dress code.:)

Catholictiger: I have friends who go to Notre Dame seminary and their dress code seems to be a polo and slacks with dress shoes.

My seminary's dress code for college is polo, slacks, and dressy(ish) shoes. I believe as a senior the dress code becomes clerics and that follows into Major Theology.

Ours isn't as specific as the OP. College dress is business-casual (dress slacks, collared shirt tucked in, polo shirt only if it is the official shirt of your sponsoring diocese, black shoes, belt mandatory.) Color isn't specified. Theology seminarians wear clerics, and are really indistinguishable from clergy.
This is during school hours, as well as generally to the refectory. Formal is a suit and choice of shirt and tie for formal events and Sunday liturgies, or announced liturgies with the Bishop.
Outside that, we can be in casual clothes as long as it won't cause scandal to any of the commuter students. It can be shortened to "don't look like a schmuck."

I think that the seminary in Denver requires seminarians to wear clerics. I know one guy who is attending who wears clerics in his fourth year there.

As for different colored clerics, a friend of mine is a deacon in Pueblo, and they have a light grey shirt instead of the black one. Everything else is kept the same.

I'm currently in St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Pennsylvania and we wear clerics there, as well. For Mass and solemn Vespers we wear our cassock and surplice and for classes, Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and meals we are permitted to wear a clerical shirt and black pants. Free to wear anything in between and after all these things.

Sweet deal is for Night Prayer we're allowed to wear anything except shorts, flip-flops, and pajama bottoms.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.