Does the Sunday vigil mass count for the holy day of obligation?

Tomorrow is a holy day of obligation. It is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Does the Sunday vigil Mass count for the holy day of obligation? :confused:

No! The Holy Mass for the feast day of the Immaculate Conception will be celebrated prior to the anticipated Sunday Mass.That’s why our parish has several morning mass for the feast today.Hope this help.

This has come up before.

Technically, attendance at the Saturday night vigil WILL fulfill the Saturday obligation OR the Sunday obligation (but not both).

So if you went to the Saturday evening mass to fulfill your Saturday obligation, you would have to attend another mass to fulfill your Sunday obligation.

Ideally, however, you should try to attend to attend an early Saturday mass, as the Liturgy of the Word will differ for both, as they are different celebrations (Feast of the Immaculate Conception and the Second Sunday of Advent).

EDIT: This thread probably should be moved to “Liturgy and Sacraments.”

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Unfortunately I missed all of the holy day of obligation Masses in my area. They were all at like 9 AM or earlier and I didn’t get up until after 9 AM. Thankfully, I was able to make it to confession though. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.