Does the Trinity have one mind or three minds?

Does each person of the Trinity have their own mind or do they share one mind? Do they each have different consciousnesses and different experiences and think different things? Or do they experience the same consciousness and thoughts?

They have three minds, because they are three different people. I’m sure they’ve got some sort of divine connectivity going on with each other, though.

That does make sense. But I’ve been seeing some difference in opinions and confusion among relativity orthodox Christians who hold to Nicaea on this issue so it has me a little confused as well. Is this what the Church officially teaches? Whatever the Church officially teaches I will accept in a heartbeat.

Yes, the Church teaches that they are three different people, and as such would have individual minds.

Well yes I understand they are three different people but does that necessarily mean they have to have three minds or one mind? Hopefully when this thread picks up my question will be more thoroughly answered.

I just said they would have three minds. If they only had one mind, then how would Jesus’ existence be possible?

There is one “mind” of God. One intellect. One will. Each of the three persons is God. God’s Essence is His Intellect and His Will.

Attributing characteristics of humans (that each human person has a separate mind) to God can get you in trouble.

To say that each person of the Trinity has a separate mind is polytheism.

So then they all have one consciousness?

“For there is one essence, one goodness, one power, one will, one energy, one authority, one and the same, I repeat, not three resembling each other. But the three subsistences have one and the same movement. For each one of them is related as closely to the other as to itself: that is to say that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one in all respects, save those of not being begotten, of birth and of procession. But it is by thought that the difference is perceived. For we recognise one God: but only in the attributes of Fatherhood, Sonship, and Procession, both in respect of cause and effect and perfection of subsistence, that is, manner of existence, do we perceive difference.”

Saint John of Damascus

orthodox.net/fathers/exacti.html#BOOK_I_CHAPTER_I

My doubt is if there are four minds. I think it’s clear the three divine persons have different wills (perfectly aligned).

Does the Godhead has a mind?

“For there is one essence, one goodness, one power, one will, one energy, one authority, one and the same, I repeat, not three resembling each other. But the three subsistences have one and the same movement. For each one of them is related as closely to the other as to itself: that is to say that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one in all respects, save those of not being begotten, of birth and of procession. But it is by thought that the difference is perceived. For we recognise one God: but only in the attributes of Fatherhood, Sonship, and Procession, both in respect of cause and effect and perfection of subsistence, that is, manner of existence, do we perceive difference.”

Saint John of Damascus

orthodox.net/fathers/exac…OK_I_CHAPTER_I

So yes? One consciousness?

According to Professor Kenneth Baker, S.J.:

“Some Catholics think that the three Persons are separate, independent beings. In this view each of the three is thought of as having his own thinking, willing and separate consciousness. In other words, they are considered to be similar to three human persons, but only on a higher level and endowed with “divine” power. That view is false and is equivalent to affirming three gods. For, in God everything is one where there is not an opposition of relation. Thus, in him there is only one thinking, one willing and one “consciousness.” The three Persons share equally in all the divine actions and operations that are proper to the divine nature.”

books.google.com/books?id=yBW8l1opH-oC&pg=PA107&lpg=PA107&dq=catholic+trinity+one+consciousness&source=bl&ots=NNCSzfZzpR&sig=Aqz_rAnl4dQTlO1-t7Eip7_NrUI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwz8aTw-HTAhWFg1QKHe3ZCPMQ6AEIRTAG#v=onepage&q=catholic%20trinity%20one%20consciousness&f=false

Well alright then.

Each person must have a mind, ISTM?

ICXC NIKA

One God with three divine natures

Do you have a specific cite on this to the Summa Theologiae or another work by Thomas Aquinas?

No. God has one nature.

“In one Divine Nature there are Three Persons-the Father, begotten of none; the Son, begotten of the Father before all ages; the Holy Ghost, proceeding from the Father and the likewise, from all eternity.”

The Catechism of Trent

They have three minds.

The father is almighty, and the son and holy spirit are obedient and subjucated to his will. Together they make one supreme God.

Opps! I had it backwards!:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.