Does the TV Mass count as the real thing? - Part 2

This is a follow-up question that was asked yesterday about watching Mass on TV. You replied that it does not constitute meeting your Sunday obligation.

I am very faithful at attending Mass every week. Next month I will be having major surgery. I will be in the hosptial for 3 or 4 days (over the weekend) and home recovering for 4 to 6 weeks. During that time I will not be allowed to drive or ride anywhere. In other words, I will be housebound for most of that time. This really bothers me as I don’t want to miss Mass, but have no alternative. My plan was to watch the Mass on TV. I can understand if a person is completely capable to attend Mass in person, they are obligated to go, but what about those of us who are not able to attend due to illness and or hospitalization. Does this count under these circumstances?

Thanks and God Bless,

Mark

Hi,

One is not obliged to attend Sunday Mass if one is ill. Whether or not the Mass is on TV is beside the point. Nevertheless, it is good to watch it on TV. One can pray along. But it is still not on par with attending Mass in person.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.