Does the Vatican donate money to the UN?

Recently an acquaintance of mine made the following claim:

Mother
Angelica bemoans the millions of dollars that Ted Turner donates to the
United Nations. And rightfully so she does. But do you know how many
billions of dollars the Vatican itself donates to the United Nations.
Go
online and read the speech His Holiness Paul XI gave to the U.N. asking
this
enemy (of the Church) for it’s hand in “partnership” to solve the
social
ills of the world. If these aren’t examples of modernism at work, then
I
don’t know what is.

Is this true? Does the Vatican really donate big bucks to the UN?

There was no Pope Paul XI.

The Vatican doesn’t have ‘billions’ in the way of money to give to anyone, let alone the UN.

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]There was no Pope Paul XI.
[/quote]

That was a typo on his part. I believe he meant Paul VI.

[quote=DavidJoseph]That was a typo on his part. I believe he meant Paul VI.
[/quote]

Okay, then his next job is to provide references for this supposed speech. I’m not going to do all his work for him.

[quote=Joseph Bilodeau]Okay, then his next job is to provide references for this supposed speech. I’m not going to do all his work for him.
[/quote]

Amen! lol. He’s the challenger. Facts without evidence are lies, just like the Da Vinci Code.

I never heard of the UN being the enemy of the Church, lol. If anything the UN is helping the Church in keeping the peace in the World.

The Vatican does not belong to the U N.
It has observer status.I do not know if it is assesed any fee.

The Vatican has observer status at the United Nations. It does not pay any subscriptions. In the past the Vatican has donated to UNICEF and UNRA for humanitarian aid and it donates money to Aid Agencies such as CARITAS.

The Vatican donated £67 Million to the Tsunami relief programme and is set to give another several millions to the famine in Niger.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.