Does The Vigil Mass Count For All Saints Day?

Hello,
So me ,my dad, my young brother , and my younger brother (who recently wanted to go with Mass to us) , have been attending the Vigil Mass at 6:00 on Saturdays. My Bishop in the Diocese of Phoenix has still placed the dispense of the Sunday Obligation since May or June-ish.

So by attending the Vigil Mass, which is on a Sunday, for All Saints Day, will it satisfy the obligation?

Thanks

That was lovely!

Glad to say, yes, it is! This is what the Code of the Canon Law says:

“On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.”Can. 1247

“A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass”Can. 1248 §1

I’m sorry, but my comprehension skills are a bit low :disappointed_relieved:. So since the Sunday Obligation is dispensed, all I have to worry about is the Holy Day Obligation, which is satisfied by the Vigil mass? Once again I am sorry :(!

LOL that’s okay! I’m not smart :rofl: Still struggling with comprehension too! Don’t be sorry about that. The Anticipated/Vigil Mass covers both of them as the Canon Law said…

Please remember us on the Mass.

2 Likes

I will remember everybody here on CAF and you too! Thank you very much!!

2 Likes

No problem! That’s my pleasure dude! Thank you as well!

1 Like

All Saints’ Day is on a Sunday this year. There is no separate “Holy Day Obligation” when that happens. There is one Mass obligation that falls on Sunday and it’s dispensed.
So you have no obligation. None.

You can still go to Mass if you want, but there’s no requirement that you go.

4 Likes

Our pastor announced this past Sunday, yes.

1 Like

A). There is no obligation for the holy day. You’ve been dispensed.

B). If there were no dispensation, the obligation for Sundays or Holy Days is always fulfilled on either the day of or the evening before.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.