Does this count as "lying in Confession" and therefore a mortal sin?

I have a question regarding if this situation would be considered a mortal sin or not. Last time I was at Confession, after the priest absolved me of my sins, as I was leaving the confessional I asked him what my penance was. He said that it was to pray the Rosary for my family. I wanted him to elaborate more on what I was supposed to do so I told him that I have never prayed the Rosary before, even though I have, but it has been a couple years. Would this be considered as lying during Confession and therefore be a mortal sin, or would it be considered a venial sin because I was already absolved of my sins and was leaving the confessional? Thanks :slight_smile:

The priest already absolved you of the sins you confessed. Seems to me that at worst this was a venial sin, if it all.

If done intentionally I guess you would, but if it was an accident or without full knowledge it is a venial sin or not sin at all. Now reflecting on second grade, I really didn’t understand what confession was I was told to say bad things I did and I just said stuff without even thinking about it as I would’ve as an adult or even a teen. If your unsure something is a sin or not it’s better to confess it or at least ask or find out if it was a sin or not.

The fact that you are asking this question precludes it from being a mortal sin. Remember that mortal sin requires full knowledge and deliberate consent. Your question shows a lack of full knowledge.

Now - one must consider the gravity of the matter. Was it a grave matter and thus a grave sin? This is best discussed with your confessor.

Peace
James

Are you serious with this question :confused: Or are you trying to scam us? Why would you tell him you never said the rosary before? If it was to reduce your penance…did it work? How can any Catholic not know how to say the rosary! One our Father, 10 Hail Mary’s , one Glory Be. You can pray it on your fingers.
The mortal sin is thinking the priest was stupid enough to believe you.

I don't think your intentions were to mislead anyone or trick anyone, you simply wanted a deeper explanation of what your penance should be.  Here is the thing, you did say something untrue.  What was it you were unsure of?
  This is not a mortal sin, I can tell you that for sure, because you are asking this question.  Venial, yes.  This specific incident does not have to be confessed, but it is a good idea.  It will help you avoid it in the future.
 I strongly suggest that you begin praying the Holy Rosary again.  It is a very powerful series of prayers.  Our Lady has given us 15 promises if we pray the Rosary devoutly:

ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/15promise.htm

See this link for more information.

God Bless You!

Brock

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with Thee,
Blessed art Thou amongst Women, and Blessed
is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death. Amen.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee.

:signofcross: :gopray2:

My intentions were not to try to trick the priest, I would never ever even consider doing anything like that. At the time, it has been years since I’ve prayed the rosary and I wanted the priest to explain what he meant when he told me to pray the rosary for my family. I would never scam anyone or try to get my penance reduced. I accept the penance that has been given to me and complete it as soon as I can, I was just fuzzy on the details.

Thank you for your response and for the link! :slight_smile: I will check it out as soon as I can!

Even though this is a venial sin, did my Confession count? Or do I have to re-confess everything during that Confession?

Your confession counts, so long as you are contrite for your sins, and the priest absolved you. Lying is a sin, although in this case it were a rather venial one and relatively explicable-- you presumably thought it was easier to be informed by your priest if you feigned total ignorance rather than explain your situation.

[edited]

The set amount of prayers is perhaps important symbolically but it also provides structure to the soul of the Rosary, the meditations therein. I daresay one would profit more, spiritually, through meditating on the Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious and Luminous mysteries than they would simply uttering 200 Hail Mary’s.

Many people are unaware of this, especially converts, who are led to believe that the Rosary is simply a repetition of prayers.

I doubt that the priest believed it anyway - Did he change your penance?

It’s probably not sin at all. You wanted to make a point that you need explanation on how to pray rosary and you have made it. Imagine how confused would your priest be if you told him that you are worried about this… It didn’t hurt ANYBODY. If it hurt God, that would mean that it had lack of respect for him. If it hurt priest that would mean that he is in some way demaged by this. I can’t see how this can be a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.