Does this count as praying before a "crucifix"?

I don’t own an actual crucifix with Jesus’ body on it. However, above the headboard of my bed, I have a Celtic cross that I made in wood shop two years ago, with a palm leaf and a sheaf of wheat folded into crosses i front of it (palm leaf from Palm Sunday, wheat because I live in Kansas;)). Can I say the prayer before a crucifix to this, or should I buy a real one?

Without the corpus (Christ’s body) on it, what you have is a cross, not a crucifix.

Since God is all present, you can say your prayers anywhere. While having a crucifix is a good idea, it doesn’t diminish or remove the ability of God to hear your prayers without it.

This is true, but if memory serves, there is an indulgence attached to saying this prayer before a crucifix.

If you are saying some prayer like the En Ego, then a printed picture, or a digital picture on your computer is fine.

I did not know that. I’d have to look it up. Thanks!

Yes, Mark, there is an indulgence for saying the prayer before a crucifix. Just did it today at Mass, right after Communion. Found it in my 1962 missal. Did Confession, too. so I “qualify”.

What about the crucifix on your Rosary?

You can pray anywhere and without an object in your hand or on the wall.
God looks on the heart of man. He loves you and is ready to listen to your prayers.
I pray while I’m driving, taking a walk, cleaning house or cooking.
Go ahead, God hears every word you say to Him.

God bless,
bluelake

Buy one!

That indulgence was changed from number 22 to number 8; it is plenary on Lenten Fridays, after communion, before a crucifix, under the usual conditions:

Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus,
I cast myself upon my knees in thy sight,
and with the most fervent desire of my soul
I pray and beseech thee
that thou wouldst impress upon my heart
lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity,
with true contrition for my sins,
and a firm purpose of amendment;
while with deep affection and grief of soul
I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate
thy five wounds,
having before my eyes
the words which David the prophet,
put on thy lips concerning thee:
“My hands and my feet they have pierced,
they have numbered all my bones.”

[LEFT]That prayer may be devoutly used to obtain a partial indulgence after communion at other times even without a crucifix. (Also concession 8.) Concession 14 is a partial indulgence to the faithful who devoutly use a cross or crucifix, medal, or rosary. The degree of a partial indulgence is in proportion to the perfection of the performance of the devotion and to the degree of greater charity of the performer.
[/LEFT]
The current document with indulgences is available as Manual of Indulgences, USCCB 2006.
usccbpublishing.org/productdetails.cfm?sku=5-474

I have a crucifix hanged next to the door in my room, but as I sit at the desk and pray as usual, it is not in front of me.

Question does a picture (the reproduction of Dali’s St John’s coss) count for a crucifix? It certainly makes me meditate on it, but was not blessed officially by a priest. Additional question: could a priest bless a picture of a crucifix?

you can say the prayer before a crucifix anytime simply calling to mind the Passion of the Lord. you can use the crucifix on your rosary for that matter if that helps, but a crucifix by definition is a cross with a Corpus on it, the image of the suffering Lord. No Catholic is ever required to buy anything including any sacramental. Maybe you can find an on-line image. If you have any gifting occasions coming up that would be something to ask for.

For the purpose of the official indulgenced Prayer Before a Crucifix, an image counts. Most missals actually print a picture of the crucifix next to or even within the text of the prayer.

Sure, why couldn’t a priest bless a picture of a crucifix … I can’t think of any reason why not. But it need not be blessed for the indulgence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.