Does this happen in the US?

A JUNKIE has become the first addict in Britain to be sterilised for cash.
The 38-year-old, identified only as John, was paid £200 to have the snip and lose his chance to have children.
The money came from US charity Project Prevention and it is the first time its scheme to stop junkies having children has been implemented in the UK.
Opiate addict John, who has taken drugs since he was 11, admitted it was the money that persuaded him to have the vasectomy.
He said: “It was what spurred me into doing it. I won’t be able to support a kid. I can just about manage to support myself.”
Project Prevention was set up by Barbara Harris after she adopted four children born to a crack addict mother.
But its programme of encouraging addicts to give up their chance to have children has enraged critics.
A spokesman for drug treatment charity Addaction said: “There is no place for Project Prevention in the UK because its
practices are morally reprehensible and irrelevant.”
Maria Cripps from Dovetail drugs support services said: “She’s offering money to people who are vulnerable, weak and least-placed to make an informed decision.”
But Barbara said: “I got very angry about the damage that these drugs do to these children.
“I was angry at the mum, and then my anger turned to why did we allow her to do that?
“I just say to my critics: ‘If you believe these women should continue to take drugs and have children, then step in line and adopt their babies’. It’s that simple.”
I think this is awful we should not play god and decide that these folks should have the snip or sterilised after all they are vunerable and would do anything for the next hit surley we should be offering them God into their lives and not taking something so precious away

Sadly, yes, it does happen in the US. Here is a news article from 2003. Since that time, the name of the organization changed to Project Prevention... the organization you mentioned.
select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0612FC3F5A0C758CDDA80894DB404482

As you might imagine, its controversial.

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
Well,I live in Finland,and here it is not done,thank God. It is wrong. Every child are a gift from God and as such WE can't decide who as the rigth to be born or not. I feel for those children,but the rigth way would be to give those poor kids who are beeing born in to a home that realy not is a safe place,to be adopted. That way they will get all the love and a future they both need and has a right to recieve. I am deeply sorry that things like this is done.

How horrid!

“Project Prevention”

Prevention of what?

Prevention of human beings. This is repulsive.

I am so pleased that i am not alone in being repulsed by this and i think that it should be illegal. I am writing a letter to my local member of parliment to tell him what i think and that it should not be allowed here in the uk, it should be banned every where!!!

[quote="WetCatechumen, post:4, topic:217211"]
How horrid!

"Project Prevention"

Prevention of what?

Prevention of human beings. This is repulsive.

[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself. I read this and got :mad: then :banghead: and then I told myself to calm down. It's good to know others feel the same way.

I find it equally repulsive that such an institution operates insidiously under the moniker of a "charity."

Such groups are not only ignorant in their ideologies, they're dangerous. They're one step away from a complete Eugenics program. I know the Nazis would be on board with "Project Prevention."

i think this program and ones like it are as morally reprehensible as married couples who choose sterilization. married couples all over this town, sitting in church, and shopping at the neighborhood Krogers make the same choice and are presumably so much less "vulnerable" to make it. in fact, so many of their reasons are merely about money, too.

it's all eugenics. each prevented child carries the "inconvenient" gene.

I thank God that a program like this never crossed my dad's path.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have been born. And I really like being alive. :D

He is an alcoholic, just like nearly everyone on his side of the family. And although I am at a greater likelihood of being an alcoholic, I'm still glad that I get the choice to make those decisions, not a doctor wanting to give a vasectomy.

And ya know...the more I think about it...how will Barbara Harris's kids feel about the "project" once they get to be adults? You know...when they come to realize that their own "mother" thinks it would have been BETTER had they NEVER been born; because she not only supports, but went so far as to CREATE, a program which ensures that the possibility of children such as themselves, shall never happen again.

I mean how screwed up is that!?!?! Can you imagine the horror?

Barbara Harris's actions say it all. She may say she loves her kids...but by trying to sterilize people, shes showing that she doesn't want those kids to be in the world at all. She may say she wishes that crack babies could all be adopted...but she's showing the world that it would be better if they never existed in the first place.

Because that's all sterilization is - it's showing, through one's actions that - "I don't want this life to exist - the possibility of it, is so inconvenient/loathsome/unfavorable/undesirable/etc. - I will prevent it."

[quote="BlueSprite, post:9, topic:217211"]
And ya know...the more I think about it...how will Barbara Harris's kids feel about the "project" once they get to be adults? You know...when they come to realize that their own "mother" thinks it would have been BETTER had they NEVER been born; because she not only supports, but went so far as to CREATE, a program which ensures that the possibility of children such as themselves, shall never happen again.

I mean how screwed up is that!?!?! Can you imagine the horror?

Barbara Harris's actions say it all. She may say she loves her kids...but by trying to sterilize people, shes showing that she doesn't want those kids to be in the world at all. She may say she wishes that crack babies could all be adopted...but she's showing the world that it would be better if they never existed in the first place.

Because that's all sterilization is - it's showing, through one's actions that - "I don't want this life to exist - the possibility of it, is so inconvenient/loathsome/unfavorable/undesirable/etc. - I will prevent it."

[/quote]

Is she related in some way to Margaret Sanger? Sounds a lot like that woman's belief system that black and brown-skinned people were less than human and should not reproduce at all, and if they did, those babies should be killed in an abortion.

This is horrible and wrong in so many ways! Who's to say these people won't ever come to know Jesus and want to get married and have a family?

I can see where she comes from though. And she's not forcing people to be sterilized. She is giving them the option. These children do have trouble getting adopted sometimes. They have health and emotional issues that people don't want to deal with. Plus, most people prefer their biological child to an adopted child. I've seen adoption put down on these boards, unless of course the parents are infertile. But choosing to adopt, rather than having children, is not supported. I can see how she feels that it's best if they have loving homes, but that doesn't always happen.

[quote="angelerulastiel, post:12, topic:217211"]
I can see where she comes from though. And she's not forcing people to be sterilized. She is giving them the option.

[/quote]

hmm... I am not sure. I suspect that the lure of quick money might induce some drug addicts to make the decision of irreversible surgery, one which they might reject if their lives were more stable. Given the impaired circumstances that such persons are living in, I tend to see such an offer as soft coercion.

[quote="trish_scotland, post:5, topic:217211"]
I am so pleased that i am not alone in being repulsed by this and i think that it should be illegal. I am writing a letter to my local member of parliment to tell him what i think and that it should not be allowed here in the uk, it should be banned every where!!!

[/quote]

I agree that government agencies should not be referring individuals to this program, nor should they be subsidizing it.

They've always had the option to be sterilized. It's legal. Anyone who wishes to be sterilized can go and get sterilized - she's not offering anything that doesn't already exist.

[quote="BlueSprite, post:14, topic:217211"]
They've always had the option to be sterilized. It's legal. Anyone who wishes to be sterilized can go and get sterilized - she's not offering anything that doesn't already exist.

[/quote]

Yes, such medical procedures are currently available. Project Prevention does not pay for such things. It provides monetary incentive for an individual to seek get it done. Individuals receive the money only after the procedure is carried out, and proof is in their hand. As far as I can tell, the government typically winds up with the bill for the sterilization itself.

[quote="BlueSprite, post:14, topic:217211"]

[/quote]

well as far as im aware the NHS doesnt offer any money to a patient to be sterilised. And not anyone here in the uk can get it done, you have to be a certain age or have had several children or have a medical condition which would be helped by sterilisation or hysterectomy. The doctors here do NOT just sterilise you because you ask and want it it really doesnt work like that. Maybe it works like that in the US if you are paying for the treatment? But even over there im sure the doctors arent offering 200 pounds for your soul????

Exactly. My point being simply that she's not offering a previously unavailable option as the option has always existed. What she is offering, is a reward.

[quote="BlueSprite, post:17, topic:217211"]
Exactly. My point being simply that she's not offering a previously unavailable option as the option has always existed. What she is offering, is a reward.

[/quote]

And that is wrong 110% she cant justify this she is putting chocolate coating around something bad painting it up like its good. So im aswell to say to every child born into a family of drug users you shouldnt be here darling babbs didnt get to your family on time! Its all Morally wrong we shouldnt be playing god and that is that.

Oh my. This is so incredibly sad. When the government takes this extra step - like a judge ordering a sterilization - it really drags the value of life down a whole 'nother level.

We live in the USA - California - and our son has a developmental disability (DD). We are active in advocacy organizations, and we know that some parents are spitting mad that they aren't "allowed" to sterilize their adult children with DDs - or if they really want to pursue that course, it takes a good fight and the State provides free legal protection to the adults with DD to fight the action. While I understand the parents' fears about this, I am relieved that the State supports me in my belief that to neuter my son would be a sin.

But the slippery slope is definitely a'slipping!! I've even heard some Tea Party and Libertarian type folks tell me that they resent paying for services for my son because as an older woman, I should have tested for (which I did), found out (we did), and aborted my son (we refused) and thus saved the tax-payers the burden of his existence. So its not just the liberals promoting abortion, folks. This total disregard for the value and blessing of life is getting very, very serious.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.