Does this mean no football on Sunday?

I was reading the Catechism when I came across this:

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. **With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. **In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

In the bolded words, it says we need to avoid the excesses (ie watching 6 or 8 hours of TV) and violence (ie Football) associated with popular leisure activities.

Or am I reading this wrong, because I have never seen anybody try to refute football with this.

Any thoughts? I sure hope we can still watch football on Sunday.

If someone can go to a restaurant, requiring a hostess, waiter, cook, dishwasher, etc. on Sunday and that is not a sin, I cannot imagine watching the Steelers secure still another victory could be one.

Violence? Well, ok. I’ll give you that, but from what I’ve seen of the World Cup (soccer), pitchers dinging baseball players, and the wildness that is Chinese pingpong players, I don’t think we can exclude ANY sports.

IMHO, seeing Troy Polamalu cross himself on the field is a very good reminder that it is NOT a warzone, it’s a sports-zone.

The Catechism was largely written by Europeans and I can almost guarantee you that they were thinking of soccer-football when they wrote of excesses and violence. Soccer-football hooliganism is a serious problem in Europe with drunken gangs of football fans becoming violent. In the US, we do not have as much sports related violence but we do have huge amount of alcohol abuse associated with sports.

Too bad he’s retiring. :frowning:

We’re in solid black and gold country here too, and football watching is definitely a family activity. The men (and a few of the women) may have a beer or two, but it’s not the rowdy crazy situation you see with fan bases of other sports in other places, even at the stadium (though some stadiums and fan bases have worse reputations for this than others.)

I do draw the line at actually wearing a player’s jersey to Mass, but around here there’s a lot of people who disagree with that assessment…:wink:

“Last Chance Mass” just north of Pittsburgh, after a Sunday afternoon game is FILLED with Steeler fans, making sure they make it to Mass, win or lose.

I’m a Ravens fan, so…I gotta run. :eek::eek:

I do think, though, that it is sinful to watch football if, when your team loses, your entire day is ruined and it’s a serious impediment to your joy.

But there is a difference between feeling disappointed/ a little groggy and being depressed, or crying in your room (I mean, shedding a little tears after your team loses can be overdoing it, but I mean all out bawling your eyes out), or getting a huge temper tantrum (I think there may be a difference between getting a little mad at the outcome of the game, versus punching a hole in your plasma-screen) .

By the way, I hope you can take a little disappointment when the Steelers come into Baltimore.

And he said to them: The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.

This would depend on how God felt about modern day popular sports, although I think he would likely say doing anything that does not involve glorifying God is a waste of time, he would probably advise against it.

Watching football can be a way to glorify God. Spending time with family, friends, etc. in recreation. Recreation that God gave us.

God gave us football, it’s not like He’s not going to let us use His gift, since it’s not intrinsically evil to watch/play.

I would say just don’t overdose on football. I think six hours on the TV is a bit too much.

But then again, who really watches the commercials (except in the Super Bowl of course ;))?

Playing the sport requires one to be active and in shape, which is good for your body. We are supposed to take care of our bodies, so fitness is a good thing. And before you start in on the violence or the fact that athletes can be injured, that’s with every sport or any physical activity. And I think MMA or boxing is much more violent than football. I’d rather be tackled than punched anyday.

Oh, and playing a game of backyard football on a Sunday afternoon is super fun. I think God is perfectly fine with us having fun, being serious all the time has to be a downer.

Certainly modern day sports, including football, are nowhere near as violent as what they “played” in the Coliseum in Christ’s time on earth.

No sports, no tv, no anything on Sundays reminds me of my Orthodox Presbyterian neighbors who don’t cook on Sunday, waited till Monday to take their son to the hospital after he broke his arm falling down the steps (so the doctor wouldn’t have to work on Sunday).

as far as I know, Jesus never made any comments about these games, hard to tell how he felt, it is true those games were more violent, but in ‘popular sports’ today, greed is king, merchandising of just about every kind is available, people spend billions on this stuff, then theres the advertising, promotional deals, all geared to bring dollars in, players getting multi million dollar deals too.

My dad made a comment about sports that I liked, " I can find better ways to spend my time than watching a bunch of millionaires chasing a ball around"?

I grew up in a household where no one watched sports, neither of my parents followed sports, the only close relative that did was my grandpa, and he only liked baseball, he would not watch any other sport, so I dont know what its like to be brought up watching and following sports.

I must disagree. Most families watch football together. The obsession some have with having fun or doing work on Sundays is quite puzzling. We are not a primarily agrarian society anymore and the majority of both men and women work full time jobs in addition to raising their families. To use Sundays for family fun or completing errands that are impossible to complete during the work week is very normal. I think it should be a personal decision as to what your family participates in on Sundays. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree. My father was/is sports-obsessed, but for him it was a solitary activity and involved lots of yelling at the TV. My mom learned to get us out of the house or involved in something else far away from him. I do think that behavior was unhealthy.

Since moving to this area, though, and being married to my sports-obsessed husband, I’ve come to develop an appreciation for football and other team sports, but I can definitely “detach” from it and if I miss a game, oh well. My husband is also relaxed enough about it that he doesn’t mind if people talk, and will chat with others, though if the game is close and the result means something is on the line (playoffs, for example) I’ve learned to not bother him. Even when the result is a loss, though, he recovers quickly (which was NOT the case when he was younger). He’s also begun to appreciate my wanting to delay watching the game so we can skip through inane commentary and commercials. If we’re going to watch a sport, I want to watch the sport.

I do, however, really enjoy watching the Olympics (even though not all of those athletes are amateurs anymore). It’s amazing just to see what the human body can DO.

That is correct, our society has changed since then, but Im not sure this is a concern of God, or if he would accept this when dealing with people, it does seem logical to think he would, but we dont know, Gods ways are not our ways, so…??

Wait…watching football alone and yelling at the TV is far different than watching it as a family.

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.

Familial, as in, watching TV as a family. So there is a difference.

Also, I think we can associate cultural with watching football. (I think it is American culture to watch American Football…it’s one of the most popular sports after all…with millions watching it)
What do you all think?

I married a non-sports guy who tolerates my football watching. We no longer have cable or even broadcast TV so I have been saving my pennies to get us hooked up, for the season opener.

Yes, it is true: we are not on our knees praying the Rosary from 1-4:30 on Sunday afternoons. But I do still remember to thank God for my life, that I live in the United States of America, and that I have just enough spare cash to have cable TV until the Super Bowl is over and the Steelers win! (cable is discontinued the next day)

Maybe it is because I grew up being an athlete that I appreciate “the love of the game.” These professionals were kids with a dream at one time. Granted, he didn’t play football, but Michael Jordan didn’t make his high school team. He worked his tail off and he’s one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Of. All. Time.
Bo Jackson played TWO professional sports. That’s INSANE.
Yeah, these people do make tons of money and some are greedy, however, you also have people like Andre Johnson who will spend thousands of dollars at Toys R Us to make kids smile.
You don’t push your body to the extreme unless you love what you do. That guy who threw the Hail Mary into the end zone to win the Super Bowl was a kid once, throwing Hail Marys in his backyard dreaming of playing in the NFL. The guy who hit a grand slam dreamed of that day since he was in Little League.
I’ve caught the game ending fly ball in the outfield, stretched out and diving for the ball, winning the game and sending us to the state tourney. You realize that all that hard work has paid off. That your coach making you do 2 a days and soaking in the tub afterwards finally paid off. Playing sports taught me that hard work and dedication will pay off and I have all the respect in the world for people who have worked their whole lives for a dream that started as a kid in their backyard.

If Notre Dame wins on Saturday you don’t have to even go to Church on Sunday and are allowed to watch all the football you want unless it is the Oakland Raiders who are Satan’s team and carry a mortal sin for watching them unless you are pulling against them

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.