Does this person need to seek an annulment?

Following a civil divorce, does a person have to seek an annulment if the couple was married by a Protestant minister even if they were both brought up Catholic (but weren’t seriously practicing at the time of the marriage) even though one partner was previously married in the Catholic church and never had that original marriage annulled?

Dear Riley,

Yes on both counts. If two Catholics were married outside of the Catholic Church, the marriage tribunal has to verify this. This usually doesn’t take very long. However, if one partner was previously married in the Catholic Church, divorced and never had the marriage annulled, then it must determined if there is a case fore annulment. If so, then annulment must be sought.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit