Does this prove the Protestant Canon?

118:8 The middle of the Bible. Psalm 118 is the middle chapter of the entire Bible. Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter in the Bible. Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible. The Scriptures have 594 chapters before Psalm 118, and 594 chapters after Psalm 118. If you add up all the chapters
except 118, you get a total of 1188 chapters. Psalm 118:8 is the middle verse of the entire Bible. It goes without saying that the central verse has an important message: “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.”

Is this too many coincidences? If the other books were added, this “formula” would not make sense.

What are some thoughts?

Hi,
I have no idea but it sounds good to me.:thumbsup:

this proves nothing. this idea might suggest that the rest of the “bible” is wrong, and that history counts for nothing.

that is not the middle of the bible in all translations either. I see this in an emial occasionally and it is just plain silly.

my :twocents:

Peace of the Lord be with you

Take hold of he project yourself… be sure you use the whole Bible (all 73 books;) )

Some programs will do a word count and you might at best approximate the “middle”. But all that you stated is suspect if only because of the differences in translation, or the “shortness” of the Protestant canon, etc.

Also, verses and chapters don’t really mean much as they were added, what, almost a thousand years after the canon was put together…

No, it’s nonsense.

The Catholic canon is the correct canon.

Are we talking page numbers, books, chapters, verses, word count, letter count, or what? English, Hebrew, or Greek? King James Version, NIV, RSV, Jerusalam, or what?

When you print the Bible in 12-point font, double-spaced Helvetica, the Catholic canon is clearly the correct one.:rolleyes:

Why isn’t there a smilie for blushing? Cause that’s what I’m doing right now. :frowning: I didn’t read the op carefully enough - he is talking chapters.

Has anyone done the math?

The numbering system wasn’t added until the 12th or 13th century by Catholics of course. Unless you want to argue they were in on the conspiracy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Scott

Sorry but this proves nothing. As many have already pointed out, what language, translation, version are we discussing? The chapter and verse numbers are not part of divine revelation.

Anyways, maybe there’s a nice important verse at the “middle” of the Catholic Bible.

By the way, I would be more impressed if the verse said something about scripture or some such. More impressed, but still disbelieving of this argument.

In the end, it’s numerological nonsense. Akin to theories which were more in vogue 15-30 years ago which claimed that there was a hidden numerical code in the Bible.

It’s all tripe.

The Bible is 73 books as approved by the Church Councils. It is nonencoded prose, meant for edification and salvation, not to deliver secret messages to those with a lot of spare time on their hands.

Hey,

Maybe someone can do this with a catholic bible and we can see what the verse is. It would be cool to see what the difference.:smiley: Any of the catholics here up for it.:thumbsup:

I couldn’t resist the challange. Besides, I like to count things. :slight_smile:

Unlike the Protestant Bible, there is no need to subtract anything because the total number of chapters comes out an even number - 1328. Exactly in the middle you will find Psalm 125:

1 - Like Mount Zion are they who trust in the Lord, unshakable, forever enduring.
2 - As mountains surround Jerusalem, the Lord surrounds his people both now and forever.
3 - The scepter of the wicked will not prevail in the land given to the just, lest the just themselves turn to evil.
4 - Do good, Lord, to the good, to those who are upright of heart.
5 - But those who turn aside to crooked ways may the Lord send down with the wicked. Peace upon Israel!

I like it!

Cool:thumbsup: Thanks. I knew someone would do it:thumbsup: :smiley:

I have a number that may interest you, it’s 382…a true historical number and a number you may want to remember:)
382 AD is the year Pope Damasus in the council of Rome first authoritatively cited and recognized all of the infallible books we have in the Bible…
home.inreach.com/bstanley/canon.htm

snopes.com/religion/center.htm

Check it out.

Well, even if Psalm 118 is the center of the Bible, (and it appears that it may not be), all this proves is that:rolleyes: somebody:rolleyes: somewhere has;) altogether too much time on his hands…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this is foolishness that reminds me of something I read on the old Prodigy BBS many years ago. In the KJV (and perhaps other versions as well) If you look at Psalm 46 and count 46 words starting from the beginning, you will find the word “shake.” Count 46 words from the end and you will find the word “spear.” According to the person who wrote this, William Shakespeare was 46 in 1610 when the KJV was being translated, so this “proves” William Shakespeare wrote the KJV! :eek:

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif and I suppose that when he wanted to remove some of the books, he declared…

“out, out, damn spot…”

%between%

This has been discussed in a previous thread. This is an urban legend. Psalm 118 is not the center of the Protestant canon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.