Does this refer to all sins?

Jesus says “forgive them Father for they do not know what they are doing.” Jesus’ compassion can be frightening.

**Yes. **

The subjective redemption is another story; but the point is, whatever we sincerely repent of will infallibly be forgiven us. We cannot exhaust the infinite merits of the Precious Blood.

"And therefore Christ’s Passion was not only a sufficient but a superabundant atonement for the sins of the human race; according to 1 John 2:2: “He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.”

• St. Thomas

“As I was meditating on the sin of the Angels and their immediate punishment, I asked Jesus why the Angels had been punished as soon as they had sinned. I heard a voice: “Because of their profound knowledge of God. No person on earth, even though a great saint, has such knowledge of God as an Angel has.” [Also, we are weak and full of misery]

• From St. Faustina’s Diary

"Nay, even if I alone had committed all the sins of all mankind, I would still rely on the infinite value of the Blood of Christ." (These words are echoed by St. Therese, St. Faustina, St. Padre Pio…)

• St. Crescentia

His infinite mercy is always ready for those who repent and his justice for those who don’t:

Mar 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mike

He was speaking to Roman soldiers because they were drawing lots on his clothing. This excuses sins for those in the military or doing service etc. The priests and rulers above them who order these actions are another story.

This scripture is divinely written to give the reader ‘free choice’ in what to believe. If someone does not have Gods spirit in them, they will be in darkness by rejecting Christ in favor for his accusers. Yes. They will literally take sides with, follow, and defend Jesus’ accusers without even knowing it. This is what makes all scripture truly divine and God breathed.

I interpret those words as an assertion that by invincible ignorance for objectively grave sins (“they know not what they do”), and cooperation with grace in the love of God and neighbor, a person can be saved by Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.