Does this violate the commandment 'honour you mother & father'?

For quite a while I’ve wanted to get a tattoo. My mother has always been honest that tattoos are not to her taste - my half-brother, not her son, is a tattooist and has many so it has come up before. About a week ago I said to her that I was thinking of getting one and she threw a complete tantrum at me. She wouldn’t listen to a word I said and eventually I just let it slide and haven’t said anything since. I respect her opinions but do not share them - I feel that I am an adult and am responsible enough to make my own choices. She hasn’t expressly forbidden it but has been clear she would be very upset. Would getting a tattoo violate the commandment to honour one’s parents?

Note: This it not about the morality of tattoos themselves, that is a separate discussion and this is not the place for it.

My opinion is that as long as you’re a self-sustaining adult and not requiring assistance of any kind from your parents, that you are free to do as you wish. You are certainly wise to take her information under advisement, but I don’t believe that honoring your father and mother means allowing them to dictate your lifestyle choices.

[quote="Nanny_PK, post:2, topic:247969"]
My opinion is that as long as you're a self-sustaining adult and not requiring assistance of any kind from your parents, that you are free to do as you wish. You are certainly wise to take her information under advisement, but I don't believe that honoring your father and mother means allowing them to dictate your lifestyle choices.

[/quote]

You are required to HONOR your parents for life.

You are not required to OBEY them once you reach majority, but you should at least listen to their advice, they are older and probably wiser than you.

Why you would wish to deface your body is a separate matter.

In case scriptural reference might be of interest to anyone, some of the people who advise against tatoos, (and this isn't so relevant to honouring mother or father), often quote Leviticus 19:28 .

(* Sorry if this tends towards your perception of the morality of tatoos - that wasn't the intention - only to let us all know that a scriptural reference exists).

What kind of tattoo and where (on your body) do you plan to get it? This can make a lot of difference.

Yes, adult children should try to honor their parents but not necessarily obey them. Parents should support their adult children’s choices but should speak if it the decision is considered sinful like co-habitation, but tattoos are not bad unless you get something that is vulgar & its visible to others.

[quote="Elizium23, post:5, topic:247969"]
What kind of tattoo and where (on your body) do you plan to get it? This can make a lot of difference.

[/quote]

I want the Christogram IHS. I'm not sure where yet but I would be careful to put it somewhere it could be concealed so that when I am older, have a career, etc. I can keep it covered.

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:7, topic:247969"]
I want the Christogram IHS. I'm not sure where yet but I would be careful to put it somewhere it could be concealed so that when I am older, have a career, etc. I can keep it covered.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: If you're going to get a tattoo, this is the way to do it. You're not required to obey your parents if you are an adult and taking care of yourself, but this would be something to tell your mother if you decide to go ahead with it.

Different generations have different ideas about tattoos. I am not a fan of them but many people my age (I'm 24) have small ones somewhere, usually in a place that can be hidden like you said. Their parents usually weren't supportive at first but once they saw the design or the tattoo itself, were surprised at how small or how easily covered or how pretty it was. I think there is an image that comes to mind when one thinks "tattoo" that doesn't take into account these things. :)

Or, you can go the route my younger cousin did, which was get one and just never tell his parents because he knew they'd be too upset about it (he doesn't live with them anymore.) They're unlikely to ever see it and he didn't want to cause them any unnecessary grief. :shrug:

You are a grown up :) Your honoring them does not mean you have to obey once you are an independent person, and you are not doing anything sinful. Perhaps just don't go flashing it around them once you get it ? :o When I got mine, my mom always saw them by accident. She rolled her eyes, but there was nothing else she could do.

It all depends on if your a minor or not, in my opinion. As a grown man, I'd laugh if my mom or dad told me I can't do something. They know better than that. They'd tell me their opinion~which I listen too, but I don't automatically follow.

Why don’t you wait for 1 year (or at elast 6 months), then decide how you feel about moving forward.

I think it depends on your relationship with parents. If you feel that getting a tattoo will greatly upset someone, what’s wrong with giving of yourself (at least for a time) and sacrificing something you want to keep them happy? Ask yourself, Is it really that important, and what are the reasons to get one?

I’m not a “tattoo person”, but the one you describe seems modest enough.

If you are adult you are required to be polite and considerate, but you don’t have to obey.

However, all actions have consequences and your mother would be fully within her rights to be unhappy about this. Be sure you are able to live with the consequenses.

My cousin got an ear pierced using this same “I am an adult” logic. His mother, who had been paying some of his bills not only stopped paying them when she found out but forbid him to wear an earing when he came home to visit. He was well within his obligations but so was she.

Maybe your mother has been looking at this website.

ugliesttattoos.failblog.org/

Yes, these are real tattoos. Maybe you should scroll through a few pages before deciding on yours. It costs a lot more and hurts more to get them lasered off. Although your idea sounds fairly conservative, just be very, very sure you really want it, and make sure it doesn't show, even with swim trunks on. There are such things as company picnics where you might want to swim, and the boss might not need to see your commitment to Christ written on your body.

:)

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.