Does this year have a dedication?

2000 was the Great Jubilee, a few years ago it was the Year of The Holy Spirit, Last Year until last month it was the Year of the Priest, does this year have any vocation or Person attached to it?

I was wondering the exact same thing.:shrug:

Is it safe to say, then, this year dosen’t have one? Surely, somebody who saw this thread would have heard something if it did. I don’t even know how to check. I’ve been to the Vatican website and didn’t see anything…

I am so glad someone asked this question. I too, have been wondering. In the mean time I am just continuing with the “Year of the Priest.” I would hate to stop all the prayers I have used this past year anyway. I was just excited to incorporate whatever it was to be this year. But… looks like it isn’t something done each year. Maybe someone will know the answer to this and how it works. I did try to research it a few months ago and did not find anything definitive.

Pope Picks Religious Freedom for 2010 to 2011 theme.
sueliz1.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/pope-religious-freedom-as-theme-for-2011-world-day-of-peace/

That is the theme for the world day for peace or Jan 1, not for the entire year. There is not always a yearly dedication. It is up to the pope if he wants to do it or not.

That is the theme for the world day for peace or Jan 1, not for the entire year. There is not always a yearly dedication. It is up to the pope if he wants to do it or not.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Checked a few sites and couldn’t find anything either. As others are doing, I will continue with the Year of the Priest. For all they do for us and the need for more priests, will require more prayers from us.
And be sure to thank them for all they do and bless them as they bless us.

From what I understand there isn’t a special dedication for this year. In fact despite our having several in the past few years it isn’t the norm to have a dedication .

If this year was to have a special designation, you would hear about it. :slight_smile:

Not every year is so designated.

June 19, 2009 - June 11, 2010 was the Year for Priests. June 28, 2008 - June 29, 2009 was the Year of St. Paul. Before that, the most recent “special year” was the Year of the Eucharist from October 10, 2004 - October 29, 2005.

In each instance, it usually coincides with something going on in the life of the Church. The Year for Priests commemorated the 150th anniversary of the death of St. John Vianney. The Year of St. Paul commemorated the 2000th birthday of St. Paul. The Year of the Eucharist culminated in the Synod on the Eucharist (which produced Sacramentum Caritatis).

But nothing has been announced for the near future. It can’t hurt to keep praying for your priests, though. :slight_smile:

True, and praying for “religious freedom” wouldn’t hurt either.:wink:

Interesting. I didn’t realize that we had a double year going on from June 19 to 29 last year.

I recall having seen something about this was to have been the “Year of the Child” meaning, I suppose, the Holy Child, Jesus. Saw some tracts on that in a local church back at the first of this year.

Once the fresh storm of child abuse scandal broke, I no longer saw those tracts.

Yes, at first I was like “Can he do that?” But then I realized he’s the pope. :stuck_out_tongue:

They wanted the Year of St. Paul to be capped by the feast of Sts. Peter & Paul, and the Year for Priests to be bookended by the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, so I guess they figured the ten day overlap wasn’t a big deal. :slight_smile:

Hmmm… I tried searching online for any hint of that. I see that 1979 was the International Year of the Child. There was a Year of the Child reggae and jazz concert in Dominica a few months ago. BlackInformant.com, which seems to be a defunct website, had an article discussing 2010 as the Year of the Child. Willie Banks is the 2010 Military Child of the Year. And it’s apparently the Year of the British Home Child in Canada.:confused:

I get the VIS and Zenit updates emailed to me daily, but I’ve never seen even a mention of this in either place. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.