Does Wisdom 15:1-3 support eternal security?

Wisdom 15

1 But you, our God, are good and true, slow to anger, and governing all with mercy.
2 For even if we sin, we are yours, and know your might; but we will not sin, knowing that we belong to you.
3 For to know you well is complete justice, and to know your might is the root of immortality.

It seems to make a strong case for eternal security. Verse 2 sounds exactly like what a “once saved, always saved” advocate would say. Also, verse 3 seems to support the notion that if you know God, that’s all you need. Is this true?

I know it’s unlikely that someone supporting eternal security will use Wisdom as support, but I’d like to know how to correctly interpret this passage.

It could be used to support eternal security if read in a vacumm. But Paul told us that is we say we do not sin we are a liar and Paul talks extensively about his own sin. So we know we sin. Thus these vereses in wisdom should be understood in their context of trying to distinguish those who believe from those who do not - those who do good from those who do evil - but not to suggest that those who believe can and will never sin.

Blessings,

Brian

Every thing and every one belongs to God – those in heaven and even those in hell. He alone is the Creator.

Some verses that are wonderful to ponder:
Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are Mine.
Job 41:11 …Whatever is under the whole heaven is Mine.
Psalm 51:10-12…for the world and all that is in it is Mine.
Jeremiah 27:5 it is I who by My great power and My outstretvched arm have made the earth, with the men and animals that are on the earth, and I give it to whomever it seems right to Me.

Thanks! This helps a lot.

I think the passage makes a stronger argument that venial sins don’t damn. Since in John’s epistles, he distinguishes between sin leading to death and those that don’t. But I think Nita’s explanation is also good. :o

You need to read the passage in context. The author is talking about the stuff that people do who worship false gods and idols:

"For the worship of infamous idols is the reason and source and extremity of all evil.

For they either go mad with enjoyment, or prophesy lies, or live lawlessly or lightly forswear themselves. For as their trust is in soulless idols, they expect no harm when they have sworn falsely.

But on both counts shall justice overtake them: because they thought ill of God and devoted themselves to idols, and because they deliberately swore false oaths, despising piety.
For not the might of those that are sworn by, but the retribution of sinners, ever follows upon the transgression of the wicked."

In contrast, God is God, worthy of respect, worship, and obedience. In general, people who worship God won’t go around trying to go mad with enjoyment, prophesying lies, living lawlessly, or forswearing themselves lightly. In general, they won’t sin.

So it’s not about eternal security; it’s about a rhetorical argument that Jews as a group are more moral than pagan idolaters as a group – because they know God better. If we knew God perfectly, we would be perfectly just and live forever.

And of course, this does fit in with Christ’s plan for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.