Does your church have a crucifix (in the sanctuary) or a "risen" Christ instead? Which do you prefer, and why?

Does your church have a crucifix (in the sanctuary) or a “risen” Christ instead? Which do you prefer, and why?

Clarification: for the poll, the question is Does your church have a crucifix (in the sanctuary) or a “risen” Christ instead?

Up in front, center, there is a risen Jesus figure at the east end. To the left, in a little cove, but very visible, is the Tabernacle with crucifix above, but it’s smaller than the Risen Jesus, which is a tan color overall.

Opposite that, as you walk out of the sanctuary toward the west, there is a huge crucifix. It hangs right above the choir loft, so I am close to it (which is awesome to play FOR Jesus at the foot of the cross).

I’d kinda prefer the crucifix up front. A Lutheran church in which I teach piano on one day of the wk has the same risen Jesus figure as ours, right up in front! I can see how this may be confusing to a new convert, perhaps, or someone who just stopped in to pray.

There is a white statue of Jesus in front also; never noticed if it bears the nail prints. Opposite that, on the right, is a patron saint statue. In another cove is St Joseph holding baby Jesus (I love that image), and Our Lady with the serpent under her feet. There is also an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe. So we’ve got quite a few icons or images.

I heard Fr. Trigilio say that there is supposed to be a crucifix right on the altar, too. Seems someone did away with that at our parish some yrs ago! But quite a few details need attention…

Happy Easter,
Mimi

We have a Risen Christ on a cross – Resurrectifix. Would much prefer a crucifix.

You can see the main altar (though it’s off-center, due to being in one of the side sections) in this picture from middle son’s First Holy Communion:

Explore MelJill

Just beyond the pulpit (the marble you see in the very left) is another crucifix. In a very high niche up above the altar is a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (that’s our parish). You can’t see him that well, but at the far edge of the altar is St. Peter (and on the matching edge, but not in the picture, is St. Paul). (That dove, btw, is right above the Tabernacle.)

We used to have a risen Christ, but quite a few years ago the priest who was here took it down and got a really nice crucifix. Now the risen Christ hangs at the back of the church (except right now, as it has been taken down until the Vigil). I much prefer the crucifix - it reminds me of the intensity of Jesus’ suffering.

We have a crucifix which I prefer because this one image reminds me of…

Joh 3:14-15 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

Joh 15:13 Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Joh 6:50-51 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he may not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven. (6:52) If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.

Mar 14:22-24 And whilst they were eating, Jesus took bread; and blessing, broke and gave to them and said: Take ye. This is my body. And having taken the chalice, giving thanks, he gave it to them. And they all drank of it. And he said to them: This is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many.

we have the risen cross in the santuary and off to the right side a crucifix

i’m not sure which i prefer

our mosaic crucifix above the back altar.

http://www.stmarysuffolk.org/altar1.jpg

We have a very large, life-like (carved wood) crucifix. Visiting priests and seminar speakers usually say something about it, it is so very life-like and huge.

I prefer the Crucifix. The Risen Lord is Truly Present in the Tabernacle, so why do an image of this? (I’m sure there’s something wrong with my theology, but that’s how I feel!).

I was Protestant for over 40 years before becoming Catholic, so the Crucifix means a lot to me.

We have a large wooden crucifix suspended from the rafters so it is basically just in front of, and over the priest’s head most of the time.

Our priest recent told me that a year or two ago, our bishop required all churches in our diocese to put a crucifix in. Some had the risen Christ or a bare cross, but apparently some had nothing at all. :eek:

We have a risen Christ. But we also have a processional cross (larger than the one pictured) and a crucifix on the altar. (All of the green is also gone these days - new pastor)

It doesn’t really matter what I prefer. It is how it is. And our Masses are reverent, beautiful…

Sorry for the little tiny picture. It seems the others I tried to post were too big.

[ATTACH]5579[/ATTACH]

We have a large Risen Christ, but the Processional Crucifix is in the sanctuary during Mass. I didn’t used to like it, but it has grown on me. I look at it during Mass and see the outstretched arms and it seems Jesus is saying “Come to Me”. As I am pretty conservative, I am surprised at my own reaction. If it wasn’t there, I would miss it. But I love beautiful Crucifixes. I don’t know which I prefer. I see value in meditating on both the Crucifixion and the Resurrection, because without the Crucifixion there would be no Resurrection, and without the Resurrection, what would be the point of the Crucifixion?
Jesus would have remained in the tomb and there would be no victory over death.

We have a crucifix and that’s definately what I prefer.

There were a few nearby parishes with the Resurrectifix. Shortly after our new Archbishop was in charge, they were replaced with Crucifixes. Coincidence? :wink:

We have a “resurrectifix”, but it’s replaced by a bare cross during Lent.

I’d prefer a big crucifix that stays on the wall all year long.

Two things.

First, I did not see a Christ-the-King cross as an option. Some churches have those, so the poll is incomplete.

Secondly, canon law requires (yes, it’s mandatory) that a crucifix (specifically a cross on which Christ is nailed and suffering, not risen) be displayed for the faithful during Mass, even if it’s just a small crucifix on the altar.

Any sanctuary without one is not in conformity with canon law.

We have a crucifix, which is my preference, and it is also required to be in accordance with Church law.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.