Does Your Local OF Mass Use a Chalice Veil?

I’ve noticed a distinction between OF and EF Masses in this regard. At the EF Mass you will see a chalice veil and burse, but not at an OF Mass. Is this an official change or just a matter of custom?

Am familiar with maybe 10 parishes in my area, and none use a chalice veil or burse. For that matter, these haven’t been seen in our cathedral, either.

I’m a convert, so please keep this in mind b/c I don’t know all of appropriate terms yet.

At my church, the Chalice is covered to match the cover over the Tabernacle and the altar. After Communion and the vessels are wiped with the purifiers several items are put back on top of the Chalice to form a square and the cover is put back over the top. Is that cover a Chalice veil? Then the large purifier that was on top of the altar cloth is folded and placed into what looks like a folder that matches the coverings. Is that a burse?

If what I’ve described is what you are talking about then yes, my church does.

I see chalice veils at many parishes around town. Not all, but many. All of them are standard OF, diocesan parishes.

Now that I know it’s allowed, I wish I had made a poll! :stuck_out_tongue:

I just did a bing search and looked at the pictures. Yes we do.

[quote="maltmom, post:3, topic:312062"]
I'm a convert, so please keep this in mind b/c I don't know all of appropriate terms yet.

At my church, the Chalice is covered to match the cover over the Tabernacle and the altar. After Communion and the vessels are wiped with the purifiers several items are put back on top of the Chalice to form a square and the cover is put back over the top. Is that cover a Chalice veil? Then the large purifier that was on top of the altar cloth is folded and placed into what looks like a folder that matches the coverings. Is that a burse?

If what I've described is what you are talking about then yes, my church does.

[/quote]

Sounds like a corporal to me. Is it always white? Because a chalice veil should match the vestments of the priest. The burse has the same color and is a stiffer square that is placed on top of the chalice veil.

[quote="maltmom, post:3, topic:312062"]
I'm a convert, so please keep this in mind b/c I don't know all of appropriate terms yet.

If what I've described is what you are talking about then yes, my church does.

[/quote]

This is a chalice veil:

saintjames.org/AltarGuild/images/ChaliceVeil.jpg

It goes on top of the "completed" chalice setup, and matches the vestments (or can be white). At the link below, you can find a picture of a veiled chalice, with the square burse on top.

motherteresa.org/rosary/L_M/Prayers_files/0024.jpg

Here's just the burse: motherteresa.org/rosary/L_M/Prayers_files/0022.jpg

By the way, this page might help:

motherteresa.org/rosary/L_M/vessels.html

I’m also interested to know that for these churches that have the chalice veil, does the priest do the purification immediately following Communion, or is it saved to be done after Mass by the EMHC’s, and vice versa.

In my experience, the parish that uses the chalice veil does so only the EF Masses and not their OF Masses, but at the OF Masses the priest purifies immediately following Communion (I don’t think I need to state what is done at EF Masses :p). At the OF Mass I attend, the church does not use the chalice veil and purification is done after Mass by EMHCs.

Thank you, I looked at all of the links you guys gave to me. Only the corporal is white with a red cross on it. Everything else matches my Priest’s vestments.

There’s so much to learn, but I’m getting there.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:10, topic:312062"]
I'm also interested to know that for these churches that have the chalice veil, does the priest do the purification immediately following Communion, or is it saved to be done after Mass by the EMHC's, and vice versa.

In my experience, the parish that uses the chalice veil does so only the EF Masses and not their OF Masses, but at the OF Masses the priest purifies immediately following Communion (I don't think I need to state what is done at EF Masses :p). At the OF Mass I attend, the church does not use the chalice veil and purification is done after Mass by EMHCs.

[/quote]

No veil (we're big into liturgical minimalism it seems), yes to purification after Communion.

Laypeople are not allowed to purify the vessels anymore. They are, however, allowed to consume whatever is left of the Precious Blood or the additional hosts (I think) if there is no place for reservation.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:13, topic:312062"]
No veil (we're big into liturgical minimalism it seems), yes to purification after Communion.

Laypeople are not allowed to purify the vessels anymore. They are, however, allowed to consume whatever is left of the Precious Blood or the additional hosts (I think) if there is no place for reservation.

[/quote]

They recently started to change the way Communion is handled. At least now only the deacon and priest are going to the tabernacle, but now they all go at the same time which seems strange to me because the altar is left alone for a while. The chalices are taken to the sacristy and left to be purified by the EMHC's after Mass. I earlier complained about Communion pracitces, so I just have to be patient for a while and hope that the rest comes along.

Again, I want to make sure what I’m saying is correct. After Communion my Priest will wipe any crumbs of the Body from each ciborium into a chalice. He does the same with the patens. Then he pours water into one of the chalices from the EMHCs, swirls it, pours it into the other EMHC chalice, drinks it, chalices with a purifier and hands them to an altar server. He does the same with his chalice up to the part of handing it to an altar server. He then covers it with the purifier, small paten and chalice veil. Then he folds the corporal and places it in the burse which is held by an altar server. The altar server places it on top of the veiled chalice and removes it from the altar.

Is that purifying the vessels?

Laypeople are allowed to do the “final cleaning” of the vessels, that is to say, a deeper cleaning inside and out, but they are not allowed to do the purification rite itself with the Quod ore sumpsimus.

Yes, this is what I know it as. I’ve only ever seen this at one parish. Everywhere else it’s done after Mass by the EMHCs.

There must have been some instruction that has made this other practice so widespread. It couldn’t have come out of nowhere, could it?

Laypeople were allowed, for a time, to do the Purification Rite. Benedict XVI disallowed this of his own prerogative in like 2009 or something.

And what’s the reason the chalice veil has become so rare? Just the same typical vagueness in the rubrics and general trend toward simplicity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.