Does your non-Catholic Christian denomination celebrate Holy Communion (the Holy Eucharist) or “Last Supper” at ever Service? If not…then please explain, why not?

Does your non-Catholic Christian denomination celebrate Holy Communion (the Holy Eucharist) or “Last Supper” at ever Service? If not…then please explain, why not?

In Luke 22:19, Jesus instructs us to - “do this in memory of me” after describing Holy Communion (the Holy Eucharist) or “Last Supper”.

At every Catholic Mass, we celebrate the Holy Eucharist, as instructed by our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Does your non-Catholic Christian denomination celebrate Holy Communion (the Holy Eucharist) or “Last Supper” at ever Service?

If not…then please explain, why not?

Luke 22
19 Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.”

1 Corinthians 11
23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,
24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

(See also –Mark 14:17-25 and Matthew 26:20-29)

Peace :slight_smile:

Quakers don’t use “outward forms” in our Meetings for Worship. We do participate in “communion after the manner of Friends” at each and every Meeting for worship. We welcome the “Real Presence” into our midst and “learn of Him” through His immediate ministry to us.

Friends believe that “outward forms” and “rites” in and for their own sake take away from the immediacy of experience. While Friends have no problem with those who do practice outward forms…it has been our witness that we share in His body and blood through spiritual means.

Friends do not believe Jesus came to establish a new set of rites and ordinances…they are part of the “old law” and in Him these were done away. Friends do not believe that He came to establish a new priesthood with new ordinances. He is our True Priest and each one of us has unrestricted access to God through Him. We are a royal priesthood, we need no one else but Christ to mediate for us…He offered Himself and is present among us…Truly Present, so no other priest is needed…each of us is a priest and minister by adoption into His family…each of us can approach God directly without another “mediator” to offer anything on our behalf to God…through Christ we can “officiate” on our own behalf as we share in His divine nature and priesthood.

We have no doubt that rites and ordinances were practiced by the apostles…they even continued worshipping in the Temple and evidently practiced Jewish liturgical practices…but they were to fade away as the New Covenant where the Word of God was written on each and every heart…God no longer resides in building of stone and mortar…the Church of Christ is made up of flesh and blood members who meet together in His name…I understand it is not Catholic understanding…but it is Quaker understanding of such things…we seek to experience the Living Christ in our midst each First Day.

No

I was told in membership class it is because they fear if they do it every week it will become rote for people(which I can see happening).
The church wants the congregation to take communion seriously every time we partake as a family of believers.

Unfortunately, there are people who would,after awhile,stop taking it as seriously as they should.:frowning:

I voted yes since, while the sacrament is not served each Sunday to the whole congregation, anyone who wishes can receive Communion each Sunday in the chapel as a separate service.

Jimmy,
For Lutherans, we believe that scriptures put The Sacrament of the Altar at the center of worship, and should be offer at every service. This wasn’t always followed, but is making a strong comeback.

Jon

I can’t imagine not taking the true body and blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ seriously. That’s like not taking seriously the scripture readings each week.
Jon

I know but MANY people do it:( I betcha there are people in your church who do it.I know MANY catholics who dont take it seriously.:frowning:
I betcha there are people in my church who dont either–despite the speech my pastor gives every time as to who should and should not partake.:wink:

I am not certain what is intent of question - partly I do not understand what is “ever service”. Catolics do not have Holy Eucharist except at Eucharist liturgy, called by them Holy Mass. During such services as Matins, Vespers, baptism, holy unction is not eucharist. Similar in Holy Orthodoxy - at Divine Liturgy is Eucharist, at utrenja, vechernja and other liturgies is other prayers but not Eucharistic anaphora. Such kind Church which only has Eucharistic service would not have baptisms, burials, other. This would seem like a joke.

Do I not understand question?

Volodymyr the question was directed at protestants, and what they do at Sunday worship.

I love DL by the way, only been to Ruthanian, but have watched Ukrainian Pontifical DL on tv, and want to go to the Greek Orthodox Chuch here in town for a DL at some point.

ALL… I respect you so please do not see this as a slap at you, but simply a bit of befuddlement at the logic you mentioned as I have heard this quite frequently…

I agree that there will be people that may start to let it be rote, so… there are people that go to church every Sunday just because… does this mean we should only have church every so often?

I don’t know who started this logic of “it would mean less” but how can anyone deny everyone that is truly respectful of it because a few may lose interest…

It’s like saying I am not going to tell my wife I love her everyday because I don’t want it to become trite…
Sure, this may happen to some… but you can’t throw the baby out with the bath water

In Christ

Hey, I dont disagree that is just what my church leaders told me.:thumbsup:

Hey, I dont disagree that is just what my church leaders told me.

Thanks, good to hear :smiley:

In Christ

Hello Volodymyr,

I apologize for the typo…it is suppose to be - “every service”….not “ever service” :doh2:

Some “typo’s” here, make things more interesting…so I don’t worry about it…:smiley:

Hello ALLFORHIM,

Some people do not take their marriage vows seriously…so should we reduce the number of allowed marriages?

What about Baptisms?

Can you see my point?

What do you think?

Just wondering?

Some people do not take their marriage vows seriously…so should we reduce the number of allowed marriages?

I think marriage should be taken more seriously before people enter into it . There should be a required course for people before they get married wherever they get married. I know priests and ministers do this but I mean a standard like the Love and Respect class by Emmerit Eggrich. GREAT STUFF!!!

What about Baptisms?

This is why we believe in believers baptism as an adult or a child who KNOWS what they are doing:thumbsup:

Hello ALLFORHIM, I just saw this…What exactly is, “believers baptism”? Do you not believe in Baptism by water and the Holy Trinity?

No its just adult baptism for those who profess their brand of the faith.

My church, the Disciples of Christ, celebrates Holy Communion at every service. It’s so central to our Christian faith that I really can’t think of a reason why some denominations only include it in the service once a month.

As far as baptism goes, we have the valid Trinitarian formula done by immersion. It’s done at about age 10-11. We do wait until children are old enough to take the classes and come to a decision on their own about baptism. So we do that at the time of what is essentially confirmation and first communion. We take the religious education classes (like CCD in the Catholic Church), are baptised after completion of the classes, and on the day of our baptism receive first communion.

Thank you for your post…:slight_smile:

We absolutely do! Anglicans believe that the eucharist is the body blood soul and divity of Jesus Christ. We celebrate it every single Sunday and during the week as well. You would be very much welcomed to come to Holy Eucharist and receive with us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.