Does your parish have altar rails?

Does your parish have altar rails and is it a “Novus Ordo” parish (yes i know that isn’t the ‘official term’) or is it a TLM parish?

I know that it would be very unlikely for a TLM parish NOT to have altar rails… but I have seen a couple without… because it wasn’t their permanent parish.

They did, however, use kneelers.

We do have altar rails but it is a NO parish. The rails have been there since the church was erected turn of the century! (the 20th century!)

No altar rails, as our parish was founded 1985, so it’s fairly new.

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

Nope, never had them and NEVER WILL!!!

I belong to Byzantine Ruthenian Rite parish and we’ve gotten rid of our Latinizations!!!

[quote=James_2:24]Does your parish have altar rails and is it a “Novus Ordo” parish (yes i know that isn’t the ‘official term’) or is it a TLM parish?
[/quote]

We are an Novus Ordo parish and do not have altar rails but use kneelers to kneel for Communion.

The Cathedral I go to does have altar rails, although they are not used. I go to the TLM held in the smaller chapel that’s attached to the main buiding and it does not have altar rails. Go figure.

[quote=Patchunky]CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

Nope, never had them and NEVER WILL!!!

I belong to Byzantine Ruthenian Rite parish and we’ve gotten rid of our Latinizations!!!
[/quote]

Do you have a iconostasis in your parish? What does a Ruthenian Rite parish look like?

[quote=James_2:24]Do you have a iconostasis in your parish? What does a Ruthenian Rite parish look like?
[/quote]

CHRIST IS RISEN!
INDEED HE IS RISEN!

Here is my parish website:

www.patronagechurch.com

XPUCTOCb BOCKPEC!

Nope, it’s a round semi-circular parish that was built in the late 80’s.

I LONG for the altar rails to come back! I was brought up in the Methodist Church, and just before converting to the Catholic faith, I was a Lutheran…Both used the atar rail for Holy Communion…It just seems the right thing to do.

I didnt vote because none applied to my parish. Yes, we have altar rails, but my parish is AU…Even though its AU, we do have a Latin Mass every Sunday at 6PM. It’s the Latin Mass of Pope Paul VI…Oh, and everybody receives communion on the tongue.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, our Novus Ordo church (finished in 1963) has altar rails, but they are stored in the boiler room in the basement!

Yes, we have them and use them, and we are a NO parish.

And Toby Lue, please excuse my turning absolutely green with jealousy of your Anglican Use parish!! I’m a professional singer and have held a position in an Episcopal church for many years. I just love the language from the old prayer book! Is it Our Lady of the Atonement? I’ve seen that website - it looks just wonderful!

Betsy

I said no. They took the rail apart and its parts are used for other things, such as stands for candles.

Yes, we are one of the Churches that actually kept the altar rail after Vatican II, however, we don’t use it. :frowning:

I’m just glad people on this thread are spelling “altar” properly instead of ALTER. Drives me up a WALL! :eek:

My parish has altar rails. They are used for the Tridentine Mass at 8:00 on Sunday. I guess you could call my parish a N.O. There is a 10:00 N.O. Mass on Sunday and a 12:00 N.O. Mass on Sunday but the first Sunday of every month they have a N.O. Mass at 12:00 that is Latin/English. At 3:00 they have a Spanish Mass but I’ve never been so I don’t know if it is N.O. or not.There are only Altar boys at any Mass. The Body of Christ is only received. There is only one person who helps distribute The Holy Eucharist. Most people receive on the tongue but not all. Most I’ve noticed do not hold hands during the Our Father. When the Priest first comes to the altar he does not start off with “Good Morning”, he just starts the Mass. It’s a beautiful church and I was fortunate to find it a few years ago. We just had a 150 year celebration!

Yep! :smiley: We’ve got 'em, and we use 'em too! (Our parish was established 1896, but I don’t know if these altar rails date from back then or if they were taken down after VII and later reintroduced.) They are used by our own parish (N.O.) when there are lots of people attending, which is usually at Christmas, Ash Wednesday, and Triduum (no duh, right? lol); and by the resident TLM quasi-parish at their 8:00am weekday low Mass.

Our cathedral also has altar rails and they are used every day at each of the four Masses. You can barely see them in this pic, but regardless you are welcome to take a look at my downtown home-away-from-home: rcav.org/synod/pictures/PA070024.jpg

:yup: Yup, we have them.

:nope: Nope, we don’t use them.

The EMoHC bring the Eucharist into the outer sanctuary, beyond the rails at the side aisles, as do the priest celebrant and the deacon in the center aisle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.