Does Your Parish Ring the Bells at the Epiclesis?

Does your parish ring the bells at the epiclesis, or only at the words of institution?

"Be pleased, O God, we pray, to bless *(ring), **acknowledge, and approve this offering…”

*Let your Spirit *(ring) *come upon these gifts.... **

Does your Church ring the bells at this point?

For me, the epiclisis is a very powerful moment, when the Holy Spirit is present in the Church in a unique way.

The Holy Spirit is present in the Church, at the altar, to make Christ present in the same way in which He was present when Mary was overshadowed and Christ was made present in her womb. That's why I love it when a Church rings the bells at the epiclisis. It is a very powerful moment for me, because I know that the Holy Spirit has been called down at the words of the priest and is with us in a unique and special way. .

So, does your parish rijng the bells at the

No,never,but I wish they did.

Of course! I’m the one who rings them! :slight_smile:

Always. It keeps the servers on thier toes, especially if Father decides to use EP #2. :smiley:

I voted sometimes. At usual Sunday Masses, they aren’t usually rung because the altar servers aren’t all trained to do so. A few (myself included) do so. They are the men who serve Mass on weekdays, and the seminarian from our parish who MCs at Christmas. The pastor doesn’t have any objection to it, he just doesn’t tell the altar servers to do it. I hope to help change that.

Never at my local parish. I miss them.
Always at my FSSP parish.

Yes…and I love that they do.

My question is why is it not required ? why do some " ring the bells " and others don’t ?

One would think there would be a consistency through out the Church as a whole in these regards.

It’s one of the many optional practices in the missal. The Mass is not as rigidly uniform as many people think. :slight_smile:

Our church uses the bells at every Mass. I find them very helpful especially when I am with children. It really helps them (and me) focus on the moment.
Peace.

I did not know that the bells were ever rung there.:frowning:
It’s been so long since I was at an FSSP Mass that I cannot remember. I was usually lost in the missal anyways, so I may not have noticed.

Yes, our parish uses the bells for Sunday Masses. And sometimes I am honored to be the bell ringer. However, we ring just once (besides ringing twice at the consecration itself), when the priest extends his hands over the bread and wine. There’s a few different prayers they might say, so they’ve instructed us to use his hands as the cue to ring.

That is what we are instructed to do.

My parish: No.

Where I work: Sometimes. The servers tend to do it for one of the priests, and only if they remember…

When I attend the TLM: Yes!

I can’t answer because being Anglican we don’t have this wording.

When does it come in the service that might give me a guide because we do ring the bell as people kneel for the Lamb of God - Sanctus.
and ring the bell and raise the candles when the priest raises the body and the blood. We ring the bell when he consumes it.

But we don’t say that wording so don’t know where it be in the service.

They don’t ring the bells at either the Epiclesis or the Consecration. I am not a particular fan of the bells–I find them distracting when I am trying to concentrate on what is going on at the altar. The priest holds the host up quite high, so I know what is going on, and for me, they disturb my focus.

I am a bad Catholic, I know. :wink:

Our parish has two sets of altar bells. At the epiclesis and at the priest’s reception of the Precious Blood, one bell is rung once. At the elevations, both bells are rung thrice.

Yes at every Mass. We also ring the bells at the Sanctus and during the elevations.

Yes it does. My kids like to pretend they are the ones ringing the bells. LOL I have never heard a mass without it. Lucky me, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

Carolyn,

So the “B” in “CB Catholic” stands for “Bad”??:D:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.