Does your parish sing the Creed at Mass?

There are different musical settings of the Creed but I don't think I've ever been to a Mass where it was sung.

Does your church sing the Creed at Mass?
If it doesn't, would you like it to do so? If it does, would you rather it didn't?
Do you think the Creed ought to be sung if everything else ('Lord Have Mercy, "Glory to God', etc.) at Mass is being sung?

[quote="Tepeyac, post:1, topic:187154"]
There are different musical settings of the Creed but I don't think I've ever been to a Mass where it was sung.

If it doesn't, would you like it to do so? If it does, would you rather it didn't?
Do you think the Creed ought to be sung if everything else ('Lord Have Mercy, "Glory to God', etc.) at Mass is being sung?

[/quote]

During Lent and Advent we sing the Creed in Latin (along with the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei).

Outside those times we simply profess the Creed in English.

As I understand it, our decision to do this during Lent and Advent is an attempt to slowly bring back more reverent liturgy.

Yes - we "sing" the Creed in Latin at all OF Masses. Sometimes it is spoken in English or Latin, but that is rare and depends on which priest is saying Mass that day.

~Liza

Yes, our parish chants it during the Latin OF masses there. The first time it was done last year, it was my first time, but was able to read the music. But I was surprised at how many people around me either remembered it or did their best to chant it.

We don't.

If we followed Musicam Sacram we'd all be singing the Creed if we sang an Entrance, Offertory & Communion Hymns & the Psalm because in the degrees of importance the Creed is of the second degree while those hymns & the Psalm are of the third degree.

I can’t recall ever being at a Mass where the Creed was sung/chanted. I suppose it’s possible back from when I was a young child. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard it sung since I reached school age. I don’t recall ever hearing any *recordings *of the Creed being chanted/sung.

[quote="SMHW, post:6, topic:187154"]
I can't recall ever being at a Mass where the Creed was sung/chanted. I suppose it's possible back from when I was a young child. But I don't think I've ever heard it sung since I reached school age. I don't recall ever hearing any *recordings *of the Creed being chanted/sung.

[/quote]

This is what it sounds like: youtube.com/watch?v=yDortyyp228

~Liza

[quote="Tepeyac, post:1, topic:187154"]

[/quote]

Nope. :nope:
Wish we would. :sad_yes:

tee

The Abbey I go to for Mass chants it in Latin. Usually Credo I, II or III, and on solemnities one of the other ones as well. In Lent, we use the Ambrosian Credo.

I'm rather fond of the Taizé setting of the Apostles Creed: Youtube link. I wonder if they have a version of the Nicene Creed.

Usually during high mass it is sung. Additionally, we kneel at the point where some people in the novus ordo bow their heads.

[quote="lizaanne, post:7, topic:187154"]

~Liza

[/quote]

Thank you. That was beautiful. (Even though they weren't together in some places. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.)

[quote="lizaanne, post:7, topic:187154"]

~Liza

[/quote]

I believe that's Credo III isn't it? Here is Credo I (Gregorian Chant) on Youtube: youtube.com/watch?v=7YYK1GfsnWY

I don't know if you were speaking specifically about the Latin Mass or not.

At the regular English Novus Ordo Mass I attend, we always speak it, except for the Teen Mass, in which they sing a "version" of it set to music. On the rare occasions I'm compelled to go to that mass, I can't stand it, and always just say it to myself.

Singing it in Latin would be a totally different and welcome to me.

Both the Creed and the Kyrie are spoken (in English) in my parish. Everything else is sung, though.

At our 10 am Sunday Mass, the Choir Mass, most of the liturgy is chanted or sung (English OF), but not the Creed - it's recited. The readings, including the Gospel, are all recited too, and the Prayers of the Faithful. I've never been to a Mass in which the creed was chanted except for EF Missa Cantata at the FSSP community.

We chant the Sanctus and Agnus Dei and sometimes the Pater Noster in Latin for Advent and Lent, and chanted the Gloria in Latin in the Christmas season. They've talked about doing the Credo someday... not soon. At the Choir Mass we always chant the Kyrie in Greek year-round.

Sung in Latin, usually Credo III. (EF)

I don't think I even remember the Nicene Creed in English.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.