does your parish use incense?

My Church which is Roman Catholic does not use incense, I remember the Catholic Churches always using incense as a small child, did they stop this in the Roman churches?

Not even on solemnities? Some parishes use incense only for special occasions. Some will limit it to a single Mass in the schedule due to people having allergies or just not liking it. Perhaps your priest just hasn’t found the right incense yet. It is difficult to find incense that is not full of wood to create smoke. The rule of thumb is, the less smoke you see, the more scent is being generated.

My parish uses incense on solemnities, in funerals, and sometimes for Benediction. We have an excellent new thurible with which I am gaining experience as an altar server.

Incense is an approved option for any time in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

Last time that we had a fire in the Church people did not notice it because our pastor was swinging the thurible as usual. :D:D:D

I’ve only seen it in funerals, i know the eastern Catholics use incense alot

We use incense twice a year and at funerals. It was not “stopped” but it is optional in many of the parts of the liturgy where it used to be required.

Anglo-Catholics too.:highprayer:

I attend a Dominican parish and we use incense every week. Another parish I know uses it only for special occasions so I guess there is a lot of variation, but I would think your parish is unusual for not using it at all. Maybe your priest has asthma and can’t talk if he uses incense. :slight_smile:

Yes.

I’d say better than 90% of the time. I suspect when there is no incense it’s because someone was running late and didn’t the charcoal going in time.

This at the Cathedral in Los Angeles aka The Taj Mahony.

We use it frequently.

We do sometimes. I’m not sure what the “schedule” is or if it’s just kind of at random. But on the major days, Christmas, Easter, etc. yes we use incense.

On “The Daily Mass” on EWTN the priests use incense frequently. Then whenever a wide–angle shot is taken of the chapel you can see the smoke drifting around the television spot lights!

We had our pastor installed by the bishop a week ago and the combination of the incense (too much) and the smoke from the fire over the cascades, left my eyes burning through the last 2/3’ds of the mass.

The incensed the bishop, the priests, the deacon, the people, the new pastor, the altar (all these multiple times), book of the gospels (only once), and when the thurible was put aside, the MC would add more incense!

Sometimes it needs to be used in moderation.

In the year i’ve been back in the Church, i’ve only seen incense used once in my Parish and that was Holy Thursday.

A Byzantine priest once said that a true Divine Liturgy is one that has multiple fire hazards threattening to burn the place down. :D:D:D

The Divine Liturgy that I attend when possible is almost on par with your description.

I don’t know where I heard or read this but back in the early Church they used incense to hide some of the bad smells. People who had not taken baths, animals brought to the ministers as offerings, etc.:eek:

From September until June, our 10:45 Mass uses incense. We have a little break in the summer for the schola as well as the more “advanced” altar servers. So, it’s about 10 months out of the year for us.

And yes, this is during the Mass of Paul VI :slight_smile:

One memorable Easter, a parishioner provided what I can only describe as “cathedral-strength incense”. The smoke and fragance would have been sufficient to fill a cathedral: in our modest mid-20th century church, it was overwhelming. Several people struggled to breathe, and the coughing was quite distracting. The singing and chanting certainly suffered.

Are you implying that whether is the Latin Mass or the Byzantine liturgy the priests fires the incense just because I am attending and I really smell bad?:blush::blush::blush:

Yes, I’m happy that we actually use actual candles throughout the Liturgy. And in more traditional Byzantine parishes they’ll have a lot of them all around the building. See how much faith we have that God will not let his temple burn down :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.