Does your parish use the golden patins for Holy Communion?

I see that every Irish Roman parish here does not use them. Why is this?

It seems contradictary for us to proclaim our Love and reverence for the Eucharist here and the 50th congress just passed and yet we do not use these patins. I was shocked to see Our Lord just falling on the ground here and there and yet if we were to use the patins as instructed in Vatican council II we wouldnt have this problem.

**Yes my parish uses the Communion plate.

Remptionis Sacramentum encourages its use:

“The Communion-plate for the Communion of the faithful should be retained, so as to avoid the danger of the sacred host or some fragment of it falling” (93).

The original Latin word used in Remptionis Sacramentum that was translated as “should” has several levels of meaning. The original Latin word means much more than our standard definition of “should.” Similar how the our generic word for love does not fully define the original Latin intent.

They do at the church I’m now attending. They did not at my old church. I’m not sure if it’s gold though. I’ll find out in about an hour and a half.

You saw the host repeatedly falling on the floor?

We don’t use them at my parish and I’ve never seen a host fall on the floor.

My parish does not use them currently. While I have one a few occasions seen or heard about a host falling, it has certainly not been common or frequent.

If this happens frequently at a particular parish than probably both those distributing communion (clergy and EMHCs) and those receiving should have a quick refresher on how the process is supposed to work! Even with patens, the host should not be dropped!

No, nor I. The only time it even nearly happened was when someone received on the tongue, and scraped the Host off with their teeth when they closed their mouth.

I don’t know how many time you would see it unless you are a eucharistic minister or sit in the front pews watching.

I don’t do either but I have seen issue once or twice and I think patens should be used. Not only to protect the host from falling onto the ground but also to draw attention to why.

It is so sad to see the church’s instructions being ignored reguarding the communion plate (paten).

May their use spread far and wide.

Every particle has as much value as a complete host! Even when it is not often that a host falls, usually at every mass some particles fall down.

My parish began using patens last year. They are not just for catching a falling Host, but they catch particles that fall from the Host.

The first time I assisted at communion as a paten bearer, a small chip from a host landed on my paten. I carefully held the paten for the rest of the distribution of communion to make sure that chip did not fall off, pointed out the chip when I returned the paten to the head server, who in turn showed it to the priest as he purified the vessels. The priest consumed the chip. Knowing that I took part in protecting that small chip of a host, a small piece of the body and blood of our Lord is something I will always be proud of.

So roman churches are not required to use the patins? it is just a suggestion?

It seems to me that we often use any loophole or excuse out of laziness to not do something that would ultimately show reverence to the Lord and help the parish community in bringing a greater awareness of the Holiness of the Sacrament they are about to receive. Even though this awareness is a grace ( and not one I claim to have ) its important we nonetheless aid each other.

Its the same with those horrid votive/electric candles. They get rid of them in order not to have to deal with getting candles or have someone scrape and clean them. The real candles engage the senses and offer a real feeling of the spiritual in the Church you go in.

That could be an insurance issue. In other words, the insurance policy could be very expensive if real flame candles were used (and left unattended).

Well a couple of Churches in my area have candles and some use electric. The insurance issue is a good one to think about but I’m doubtful that is the problem at all.

It doesn’t seem they’re optional, according to RS:

“The Communion-plate for the Communion of the faithful should be retained, so as to avoid the danger of the sacred host or some fragment of it falling” (93).

Holy Communion Patens held by Altar boys have been gone and placed in parish museums ever since the late 1970’s when Communion in the hand began in my Archdiocese as with many other Archdioceses.

The Paten for the Chalice has been discontinued in my Parish for over twelve years.
Too archaic? Goodness knows. I don’t agree with either Paten being removed.
An overall lacking of Reverence to the Blessed Sacrament? Liturgical Abuse?
Seems there’s a wide array of opinions.

Even for those receiving in the hand it should be used I think. Because you just never know what can happen right? :shrug:

My sentiment exactly. There’s always risk of the blessed sacrament falling.
I think some negate its use because they rationalize the same can happen taking holy communion in the hand. Having been an altar boy myself both when I was younger and in my adult years as an acolyte and nearly ten years as a former sacristan I’ve seen my fair share of consecrated hosts falling to the floor. Mistakes happen yes but safe-guards should be in place to help avoid such occasions.

Consecrated Miniscule crumbs from the Holy Eucharist are always present. Seems such reverence for all parts of the Eucharist has very little importance to many. Difficult to fathom why these importance’s get ignored or seen as trivial.

No, they are not used in my Parish.

I’m curious… Where did the Second Vatican Council instruct anything about patens?

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.