Does your Priest say this?

It seems that every parish priest says at the beginning “Welcome to the (Eucharistic) Celebration.”

It would be nice if they could refer to Mass as the “Holy Sacrifice of the Mass”

Mass is the re-enactment of Jesus sacrifice on Calvary. I don’t recall reading that they were celebrating much then.

Mass is indeed a celebration. It’s about the entire paschal mystery, not just Good Friday.

He says, before the start of Mass–when he comes out to the podium by himself–Praised be Jesus Christ. We respond: Now and forever more, Amen. He reads any announcements then, before Mass, leaves the altar, and then the lector comes to the podium, announces “Our opening hymn will be ___”, the organ starts, and the servers, deacon and priest then process through the church. When the hymn ends, Father says, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” and we say, “Amen.” Then Father says, most usually, “The Lord be with you.” We reply, “And also with you”. But on more festive occasions like Christmas and Easter Father says, “The grace and peace of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you” and we say, “And also with you.” Then we do the penitential rite, either the confiteor or a sung Kyrie, then the Gloria (except in Lent and Advent), and so forth.

He usually says something long the lines of, “Good morning. Today is the Feast (s) of St. X. Let us ask him/her to pray for us as we celebrate the Holy Sacrifise of the Mass”, but in Japanese.

Gearoidin

For a guy who has established a reputation here for traditionalism, your response puzzles me. Do you honestly think that Mass is a celebration IN THE CONTEXT in how the Priest means?

Priest: In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Priest: Introibo ad altare Dei.
Response: Ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam…
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
During sermon he greets/welcomes us then proceeds to his teaching.
After the Mass he announces the church’s activities in the coming week or so.
After the Mass during lunch people talk to him.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pax
Instaurare omnia in Christo

Here’s how it normally goes:

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
Amen.
"The grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all."
And also with you.
“My brothers and sisters, as we gather today to celebrate these Sacred Mysteries, let us call to mind our sins and ask the Lord for His mercy.”

Then the confiteor, kryie, etc.

Sometimes, if it’s an interesting saint or feast day, our priest will mention the saint and add some info on him/her after his greeting of “My brothers and sisters”, then continue on to invite us to call to mind our sins.

I go to several different parishes, and usually there is a very brief announcement. It is almost always made by a lector however, unless there is no lector. Depending on the parish, this announcement contains most or all of the following:

1. Welcome to the community of St. X. (Sometimes with a special greeting to visitors added).
  2. Please turn off all cell phones or electronic devices that might be a distraction to others during the mass. (this one is only heard on weekends.)
  3. This is week X of ordinary time, or the name of the feast, solemnity, or memorial.
  4. The special intention of the mass, e.g. this mass is being offered for the repose of the soul of Mr. X, the father of Y.
  5. The name of the celebrant.
  6. Instructions, such as “please rise to greet our celebrant” and/or the name or number of the entrance antiphon or hymn.

Brief announcement by a layperson before Mass starts:

"Praise be to Jesus Christ! (response: “Now and Forever!”). Good morning, and welcome to Saints Cyril & Methodius Slovak Catholic Church. Today we celebrate the nn Sunday of Ordinary Time, which can be found at page nnn of the missalette. Today’ Mass is offered for the intentions of X, Y and Z. At this time, we ask you to please silence all comunication devices.’

Organist:

“The opening hymn is XYZ, which can be found on page nnn of your missalette.”

The procession begins, along with the opening hymn.

Then Father starts the Mass in the typical manner, with the sign of the cross and “The Lord Be With You,” and then goes right into the penitential rite.

in our parish the music minister says good morning and welcome to our liturgy (if special day he announces what feast, etc.) then says our celebrant today is __________ please join us worshipping God by singing (whichever hymn) then the priest and servers, minsters, etc. process in. at the end of the hymn the priest says good morning and then proceeds straight to the rite as listed in the missal.

My Priest says "In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit…

Mine usually begins with "This Holy Mass is offered for the repose of XXXX and X, may they rest in peace. (Next month’s mind on dd/mm) Thanksgiving Mass to Our Lady/ St Anthony/Padre Pio/St. Dominic/ St. X for X by X. (rustle of paper) In the name of the Father, etc."
Or a variation thereof.

Mass is Calvary.

He’s straight out of the missal. At daily Mass, he says nothing until “In the Name of the Father…” and reads it exactly out of the missal. On Sunday, he sings the same hymn we all sing, then goes into the missal. It all follows the book until the homily.

Now, before Mass, the only thing he says is, if necessary, “Is there another boy (girl) server?” depending on which gender is serving that Mass. There IS a commentator who says, “Good morning (evening) and welcome to St. Whozits Parish. We have a few announcements (and they are read- only they are not a few). Our opening hymn is ##$%^, ‘Name of Hymn Here.’ Please stand, and let us begin our liturgy.”

The school kids used to say, “Please stand and let us greet Father with hymn #(&^%(” until somebody :rolleyes: pointed out it was not Father we were greeting.

My priest processes in, reverences the altar, and goes to the chair to wait for the end of the processional hymn. At which time he says, “In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit …”

which is exactly what the rubrics indicate he is to do. Welcoming anyone to the Eucharistic Celebration or the Holy Sacrifice or anything else is not how Mass is to begin. After the proscribed greetings, he does have the ability to give a brief welcome, but my priest usually goes right into the penitential rite.

It’s pretty much the same in my parish…our pastor gets right down to business…:stuck_out_tongue:

Fr. Larry usually leads us in some sort of worship song (we usually go to the charismatic mass cause Vivi seems to enjoy it more, and it is closer to what DH recognizes, being raised Southern Baptist and all…), and then we get down to business with the Sign of the Cross, etc…

He does remind us to silence ourselves before he processes down the aisle, especially is everyone is being a bit rowdy.

Gee, this priest is soooo unfriendly and the church so unwelcoming! We have to change this. :rolleyes: Let’s party!

Uh, no.

Then I am going to another church so I can be gratified. Too bad, your loss. :stuck_out_tongue: :banghead:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.