dogma

Is the requierment to go to confession once a year dogma?

It is the current discipline of the Church.

Can I ask what you understand ‘dogma’ to mean, and why you would think that this discipline could be an instance of it? I ask because discipline is never dogmatic in and of itself, inasmuch as it relates to practice, not to teaching; so i’m wondering where your question originates.

Best wishes.

In Christ,
Withburga

Strictly speaking it is a precept of the Church. What is a precept? It is a warning or admonishment on the minimum required for a practicing Catholic. Since the precepts are external acts they can be considered discipline, but they are discipline based on doctrinal realities. As such they seem to float a bit between discipline and doctrine.

I say it is something more than purely discipline because a discipline can be altered or done away with at any time based on the needs of the Church. While some of the precepts could be altered in how they are observed the underlying doctrinal nature would still need to be upheld.

From what I understand according to Cardinal Burke we have to go to confession once a year only if we are in a state of mortal sin. Still going to confession around lent is something the Church highly reccomends. And it is a dogma that the Church does say it is good to go to frequent confession even if you are confessing venial sins only. Hope this helps. Listen to this three part talk about the Sacrament of penance by Cardinal Burke, it is very good.
youtu.be/fFudeMGjGp8

Frequent confession is a good thing, (once a month or more) because many graces flow through that sacrament!

It is helpful to begin to use a fine tooth comb in one’s examination of conscience (Lord, help me to do that!), as we can grow closer to the Lord that way.

It is better to maximize, not minimize the blessings that the Lord wants to heap on us.

Do you think the church should start requiering confessions at least once a month?

To what end?

It seems good to me that it is promoted, along with teaching about the grace that can be acquired through it.

Just saying “go to confession about once a month” is not enough. It would be good if the entire catechesis on that sacrament is explained and taught in a manner that would touch the hearts of those who need to hear it.

I don’t know all the answers to many things…but how does that sound to you?

The motive for frequent confession needs to be our sanctification. One good reason is that it is humiliating to go, but also freeing to hear the words of absolution! Of course, prayer needs to be the foundation to aid us in opening up our hearts.

As I mentioned to Churchman, it seems obvious that catechesis is needed about the graces that flow from the sacrament of reconciliation.

What do you think?

Here is what the Church Says about confession. Here is a brief summary:

It basicallt talks about how God forgives you your sins through the sacrament of confession. Also It talks about how Jesus is the one who gave this to us as a way to forgive our humanities most grievous faults. The other thing the article talks about is the punishment of sin. these are the reasons and there’s more in the article, why the sacrament of Reconciliation is so important.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c2a4.htm

Thank you for posting that from the Catechism. It explains everything very well.

It is not a requirement to confess once a year. It is a requirement to receive Communion once a year during the Easter period.
While it is highly recommended to confess regularly it is only REQUIRED if you are in a state of mortal sin.

CCC 1457 According to the Church’s command, “after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year.” Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession. Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.

Right, good for.pointing that out.:thumbsup:

Sorry for not responding sooner. Busy week…

Anyway, I agree with encouraging frequent confession, but Churchman asked about requiring it. Without education as to why the sacrament is important and what benefits we realize from availing ourselves of it, requiring Confession at any interval runs the risk of being a rule many would not understand and some would reject out of failure to see the point of it. Requirements need to serve a purpose, and those bound to abiding by them need to understand that purpose.

“What is the minimum I have to do to have God let me into heaven”

Seems to be the words we shout from the modern day foot of the cross…

I would agree with you. However, that is not what the discussion is about.

The ‘Easter duty’ is still applicable
Fr. William P. Saunders

http://catholicherald.com/stories/The-Easter-duty-is-still-applicable,22804

Q: I am an elderly person, and I remember having to fulfill the Easter Duty. Does that still apply? My younger relatives look at me like, “What are you talking about?” (Springfield)
A: Yes, “the Easter duty” is still applicable, although with slight adjustments. The Fourth Lateran Council (1215) had mandated, “Every faithful of either sex who has reached the age of discretion should at least once a year faithfully confess all his sins in secret to his own priest. He should strive as far as possible to fulfill the penance imposed on him, and with reverence receive at least during Easter time the sacrament of the Eucharist.” For good reason, this mandate became simply known as “the Easter duty.”

In 1983, the Code of Canon Law slightly adjusted the stipulations: “After having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year” (No. 989). Moreover, the code also asserted, “It is to be recommended to the Christian faithful that venial sins also be confessed” (No. 988.2).
For this reason, the Catechism of the Catholic Church lists five precepts that are obligatory for the faithful. “The second precept (‘You shall confess your sins at least once a year’) ensures preparation for the Eucharist by the reception of the sacrament of reconciliation, which continues b`aptism’s work of conversion and forgiveness” (No. 2042).

Therefore, one could say, “Yes, there is still the Easter duty,” while recognizing that one’s confession and reception of sacramental absolution for serious sins (i.e., mortal sins), and reception of holy Communion may occur any time during the year.

What is most important for all of us is to appreciate the spiritual intent behind the Easter duty. First, the precepts of the church are like the minimum standards for a good spiritual life. They seek to integrate the sacramental and moral teachings, and provide a basic paradigm to help a person grow in love of God and neighbor

:thumbsup:

The obligation applies only if you are in a state of mortal sin.

TRUE!

So if I’m in mortal sin my obligation is to confess within the year?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.