Dogs, monkeys, cats: 2,000-year-old pet cemetery uncovered in Egypt

usatoday.com/story/news/2016/12/01/dogs-monkeys-cats-2000-year-old-pet-cemetery-uncovered-egypt/94746128/

*…A nearly 2,000-year-old pet cemetery holding the remains of dogs, monkeys and scores of cats has been uncovered in an ancient Egyptian town, archaeologists say.

A few animals still wore iron collars when they were laid to rest, and the graves of two young cats include ostrich-shell beads. Some of the beasts’ bodies were nestled under mats or pottery jars, signaling they were deliberately buried rather than just discarded as trash, researchers argue.

The careful treatment of the animals’ bodies suggests an “emotional (relationship) between men and pets as we know it today,” says Marta Osypińska of the Polish Academy of Sciences, the author of a new study in the journal Antiquity.*
The Romans loved their pets, especially their dogs, and one grave at Berenike holds a young dog probably imported from either Rome or Greece.
A heavily built animal similar to a mastiff, its belly held a final meal of fish and goat meat, and its skeleton shows it suffered from a painful bone cancer still common among dogs today. Its body had been wrapped in a basket and covered with pieces of broken pottery, clear evidence it was “a very loved animal,” says the University of Delaware’s Steven Sidebotham, who directs research at Berenike…*

Awwwww.
I love it that some things–like the love of a beloved pet–never change, no matter the century.

I wonder what the common “Rover” dog-name was back then.

Monkeys?

How fascinating. Thanks for the link.

Oh, that’s neat!

Legends of old speak of a terrible mummy. A great evil that will one day return to the world to bear with it the seven plagues of Egypt. His name is Muffinchops, the royal lap cat of the Pharaoh.

:slight_smile:

Why do people act astonished that ancients had the same feelings we do today?

I haven’t seen anyone act astonished about that yet, so…not sure.

From the article…
The careful treatment of the animals’ bodies suggests an “emotional (relationship) between men and pets as we know it today

Maybe I’m reading more into this line than is meant, but ‘as we know it today’ should be ‘as expected’ after all theyare just a human and emotionally advAnced as we are today…kind of a pet Peeve I guess…

:rotfl:

Ancient life was a lot more utilitarian, so the fact that they kept animals around just to love is sweet :slight_smile:

As far as I know, they didn’t just love them, the worshipped them!

I know they worshiped cats, and I believe they held dogs in high regard too, since Anubis has the body of a man and head of a dog, so im guessing dogs are important to them.

Archaelogy is fascinating…

Pagan religion, nature religion…however eventually Egyptians adopted monotheism.

:thumbsup: yup. We are all the same spices; human.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.