Doing a general confession

So, I’ve posted many times about this. I was raised somewhat in the SSPX church. I did my first confession in an SSPX church and several follow-up confessions in both SSPX and SSPV. The last time I went to confession before joining the modern church, I was 12 years old in an SSPV church.

So I have heard about “supplied jurisdiction” and my priest tells me that once I make the Profession of Faith at Pentecost, I will receive the befits of the SSPX sacraments.

What’s really eating at me is this. I was not properly absolved during those early confessions. Doesn’t that mean, then, if I go to confession right now and I only focus on what I have done since that last confession at 12 years, I am withholding those mortal sins?

I’m prepared right now to make a general confession of pretty much my entire young life. To be honest there is not much there that I can remember being actually mortal sin (I have actually been to confession several times in modern churches before I knew about the sacramental stance of SSPX, so pretty much every I did after 12 years of age is resolved) so it’s not such a big deal. But do you think I need to?
I know that re-confessing sins is a good idea no matter what, especially mortal sins, but I don’t want to be scrupulous.

Sorry if some things I said were worded weirdly. I think this general confession will give me peace of mind, but like I said, I have a tendency towards scrupulosity and “just-in-case” thinking is something I do way too much. So, before I go to this general confession, do you think it is necessary for me to?

This is just opinion here.

I’m prepared right now to make a general confession of pretty much my entire young life. To be honest there is not much there that I can remember being actually mortal sin (I have actually been to confession several times in modern churches before I knew about the sacramental stance of SSPX, so pretty much every I did after 12 years of age is resolved) so it’s not such a big deal. But do you think I need to?

I don’t believe it is necessary, but I know little about the sacraments in SSPX/SSPV. If you went to confession after a sincere examination of conscience, you sincerely apologized for those sins, and you had every intention of avoiding these sins in the future, you were certainly legitimately confessing. If the formula of absolution was used, then I would believe that you have been forgiven for all of your sins. You did after all believe that you would be forgiven. Again, others may be able to advise you better.

I know that re-confessing sins is a good idea no matter what, especially mortal sins, but I don’t want to be scrupulous.

Actually, re-confessing in NOT a good idea, especially for the scrupulous. If you have truly remembered an UNCONFESSED mortal sin, then it IS appropriate to confess that. When we re-confess we are somehow lacking in faith in the sacrament. When we leave the confessional we are cleansed of ALL venial sins and all confessed mortal sin. Why would we repeat the confession?

When I was little, we were taught to end our list of sins by saying, “For these and all the sins of my past life I am heartily sorry.” Has this been your practice? If so, you gave been forgiven for any sin including sincerely forgotten mortal sins.

I think this general confession will give me peace of mind, but like I said, I have a tendency towards scrupulosity and “just-in-case” thinking is something I do way too much. So, before I go to this general confession, do you think it is necessary for me to?

Call your parish priest and ask him what you should do. I am sure he’ll be happy to assist you!

There is no such thing as the SSPX Church. The SSPX are a schismatic movement within the Catholic Church which faithful Catholics should not be supporting. Confession to SSPX priests are invalid as their faculties to hear Confession have been suspended. That means you are NOT absolved of sins if it is done by an SSPX priest (unless you were in imminent danger of death and a priest with his faculties was not available to reach you in time).
If your last Confessions were done by SSPX priests then your sins are not forgiven and you should get to a non-SSPX priest as soon as possible.

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I understand that he is referring to confessions he had prior to 12 years of age. Since then he states he has been confessing in a “modern church” which I take to mean the RCC. If so, the only sins that are at issue are those of a young child. Since he was a child and was brought up in SSPX, he would be invincibly ignorant of the fact that SSPX could not validly forgive. I believe he only recently learned about this issue. (His venial sins would not be an issue in any case.)

Catholic Answers:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=820757&highlight=SSPX+confession

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.