Doing a paper on Anti-Catholicism need some help!!!!

Hi, my name is Corey D and I am doing a research project on Anti-Catholicism in the U.S. This is a great subject my teacher said, I am looking for some online books explaining the origins and the beginning of the Catholics and perhaps some online resources. This is going to have to be a 5 page report so I am very excited about this, I am a traditional roman catholic so this subject means a lot to me. Anyone that can help it would be really appreciated. I have to finish this within the next 2 days so I must work quick, some teachers assign projects, and ask for them back way too soon.

Please send me a private message to let me know you have posted :slight_smile:

P.S.
This is a history project, if anyone has a time line in chronological order, that would be awesome.

Corey,
I actually did a paper for my Senior Colloquium at Ohio State, I can send you my entire bibliography if you would like.

Hi Corey D

Sounds you are going to have a great time doing the assignment - pity you don’t have longer but I am sure your teacher will take this into account.

Can’t help you with Anti-Catholicism in the US as I don’t live in the States. But wanted to suggest that you spend some time defining the scope of your paper as I find that people’s definition of anti-Catholicism can be so different.

To some people, those who cannot accept Catholic doctrine(s) are considered anti-Catholic and are lumped in with those who dislike or are genuinely anti-Catholic. Also given the short time you have to work on the paper a tighter definition may be helpful.

There are a number of threads on this Forum which deal with topics such as why people “hate” Catholicism. A look through some of these might help. Maybe set a time limit on doing this as the threads can be addictive.

Also keep in mind that some people are anti-Catholic, or anti other religions for very personal reasons. One of my relatives was very anti the Masons as he considered that they had caused a child to die as they had the train stop to pick up a coffin when there was a very sick child on board who died just before the train reached its destination. Don’t know it was true but it was for him.

Enjoy preparing and writing the paper

Salonika

Just visit any SDA or JW site and lots of Evangelical sites and sure enuf you’ll find it. Ain’t hard trust me!

Please go to www.catholicleague.com

Blessings,
granny

All human life is sacred from the moment of conception.

This book is not available online that I know of … but it is a very good historical look at Anti-Catholicism in America especially historically … It is definately worth the read …

**THE PERSISTENT PREJUDICE: ANTI-CATHOLICISM IN AMERICA (Paperback) by Michael Schwartz (Author) **

You should also consider citing the following US Supreme Court decision you can read about it here:

http://libraries.cua.edu/achrcua/osc/osc_chron.html

and here ncea.org/public/USSupremeCourtDecisions.asp

and here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierce_v._Society_of_Sisters

This is a very good site:

www2.trincoll.edu/~dcruzuri/anti-catholic/anti-catholic.html

Best wishes,

I’m too late to contribute valuably to this thread, but I would like to describe how my great grandmother personally suffered at the hands of the anti-Catholic Know Nothings in Philadelphia in the 1850s.

My great grandmother Annie was born in Northern Ireland in 1929. In 1845, she married her first husband at the then-typical age of 16, and lived with him in their little mud hut next to their potato “lazy bed” – the typical living arrangements for Catholic Irish families forced into potato cultivation.

Though my Catholic grandmother probably could have “married Protestant,” because one of her parents was a Northern Ireland Protestyant, she chose to “marry Catholic,” despite the exile into dire poverty which that betokened.

Annie became pregnant immediately with my Great Aunt Barbara. While she was pregnant, blight reached their county, and wiped out their crop.

Two-thirds of the evictions occurred before any default in rent. (This was because of the famous Four Pound Clause, which imposed a tax of about $3,000.00, in today’s money, for every fraction of an acre dedicated to potato cultivation. The landlords tried to avoid the tax by evicting literally everyone.)

Pregnant Annie and her first husband began to walk the roads. Her first husband intentionally starved himself to death for the sake of his pregnant wife and the baby inside her womb. I don’t know if he was among thoise who “charged the docks.” The British landlords continued exporting food from Ireland during the Famine. Families walking the roads saw this. Skeletal armies of fathers and husbands armed with sticks formed up into ranks and charged the docks to rip open the crates of food. English and Protestant Irish armies prepared for this eventuality fired volley after volley into the “skeleton armies,” mowing down thousands.

Annie gave birth to a completely blind child – a common Famine symptom. She finally secured a berth on a Famine Ship paid for by Protestant money dedicated to shipping-out as many Catholics as possible. The boat dropped her off in Canada, and Annie thumbed her way south to Philadelphia, where she placed my Great Aunt Barbara into the Home for the Blind.

Annie did carpentry, of all things, to support herself in a little walk-up on Sansom Street, in Philadelphia. She married my great grandfather, and lived on Prune Street – the name for Locust Street east of Washington Square in Philadelphia, in those days.

In that time, employers in Philadelphia were laying-off Protestants and replaced them with Catholic Famine victims, who thought they were “rich” even when they were hired for pennies on the dollar, due to their former starvation level poverty.

Unemployed Proestants responded by forming the groups called “Know Nothings.” The acquired their name when they would lynch a Catholic immigrant from a lamppost. Investigating police would say, “Who did this?,” and the Protestant offenders would usually respond, “I DON’T KNOW NOTHIN’!”

Annie was seen going to Old St. Maty’s Church in Philadelphia every day, identifying herself as a “Papist.” We think that something happened frightening Annie and my great grandfather out of Philadelphia – maybe Annie was hung in effigy, or something like that. She and her husband escaped to Maryland. Though they were able to move back to Philadelphia in 1864, after the Nativists lost the national ticket, in 1867, when my grandfather was born, Annie had “had it up to her eyeballs” with anti-Catholic prejudice, so she named my grandfather after Roman Catholic martyr murdered by the English throne, John Roberts.

When my great grandfather died of an epidemic in 1869, Annie took up sewing to support her children. When she tried to get her children into the school orphans at Girard College in the 1870s, she was told by a councilman that my grandfather’s name would bar his entry. So, she had to change his name to something more “Protestant-sounding.”

I read the book Anti-Catholicism in America: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Mark S. Massa S.J. a while back and it’s one of the best I’ve read on the subject. It’s a quick read and really sheds some good light on the history of Anti-Catholicism and looks into some more modern day Anti-Catholics. Depending on the number of sources you need and how long your paper needs to be, you could probably use this book as you main source.

Peter, one small error. You have your Great Grandmother being born in 1929, and getting married in 1845. A little confusing there.

As one who is staunchly anti-catholic, I recommend you do a study on the churches of northern Italy during the time when Constantine seduced the church at Rome to assume a position of worldly pomp and glory.

David Zampino,
I absolutely love your quote from Tolkien! Very Awesome!

Sorry about that. I’m mildly dyslexic, and that results in frequent typos of various sort. Annie was born in 1829. (She bore my gf in 1867. He fathered my father in 1922, at 55 yoa.)

Handing in a copy of the L.A. Times should suffice for your report.

Not ANOTHER person who thinks he knows history and claims that Constantine statrted the Church! AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.