Doing penance to avoid temperol punishment...or is penance itself temperol punishment?

Doing penance to avoid temperol punishment…or is penance itself temperol punishment? Please help me understand?

For example… doing the Rosary to express sorrow for sin. Is that itself worthy of avoiding the temperol effects/punishments of sin or is that in place of?

and a second quick question…

When penance or an indulgence occurs, in order to relieve temperol punishment, wouldn’t a miracle occur? For example, if temperol punishment would include me having cancer…but an indulgence for a sin would relieve this, wouldn’t it be a MIRACLE?

Performing personal penance is not a punishment. Penance is part of the atoning sinner’s act of repentance to demonstrate sincerity and sorrow for offending God and God’s Church and to improve and further one’s spiritual health and relationship with God. Since God’s end objective is for all sinners to come to Him penance is most pleasing to God and He rewards the repentant sinner by first restoring him fully to his prior merits after he confesses his sin. Additional private penance merits us and does offset our temporal debts. God ultimately decides how we must pay our penances - all on earth, all in purgatory or split between the two extremes. Since we are baptised into Christ’s Glory and His Suffering we can expect hardships in this life that bring us some suffering. Some saints are called to extraordinary suffering not for just themselves but predominantly for others as well.

A wise person will pray daily to try to remit their temporal debts and work on trying to gain for themselves and others as many full or partial indulgences as they can over their lives.

Sadly, since the Protestant Revolution there has been less practise of indulgences since many Catholic have fallen away from this practise. This was a major injury of the Protestant Revolution and we should pray for others and spread the word about how important indulgences are.

James

I think it’s a matter of terminology but I think we can call penance a form of punishment. As you said, its a means of offsetting )or wiping out) our temporal debts. It’s like the story of Zacchaeus where he said that he would “pay back four fold” anyone he defrauded. That’s a great example of penance – repairing the damage of sin and doing extra punishment (not just giving back what was stolen but doing more).

Regarding the OP, I think penance pays back the temporal debt and thus reduces our purgatory.

A wise person will pray daily to try to remit their temporal debts and work on trying to gain for themselves and others as many full or partial indulgences as they can over their lives.

So true.

Sadly, since the Protestant Revolution there has been less practise of indulgences since many Catholic have fallen away from this practise. This was a major injury of the Protestant Revolution and we should pray for others and spread the word about how important indulgences are.

I fully agree. I like your signature as a great reminder of this important part of our faith. I’ve been striving for more indulgences. There is a fairly easy one (in a place where there are a lot of Catholic churches like where I live) where you can get a plenary indulgence by visiting a church on its patronal feast day.

There are some indulgences for the Year of St. Paul also that we can all get.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.