Dolphins fine safety Don Jones for negative tweets about Michael Sam

foxnews.com/sports/2014/05/12/dolphins-fine-safety-don-jones-for-negative-tweets-about-michael-sam/

Shortly after the St. Louis Rams took Sam in the seventh round Saturday, Jones tweeted “OMG” and “Horrible.” The tweets were taken down a short time later.

This story, strangely enough, makes me extremely angry and yet massively sad and depressed at the same time.:mad:

The word “horrible” is now sign of a “hateful” individual who must be publicly “punished.”:frowning:

I was never a huge fan of football anyway-----I don’t think I’ll even glance at a football game for a long time ahead. :mad:

Through the prayers of the Mother Of God----have mercy on us and save us.

Amen. :gopray:

What he did was immature, but, seriously… fined and forced to attend those B.S. brainwashing “Tolerance” classes…

So much for the tolerant left… we’ll tolerate you, unless of course, your opinions differ from ours, in which case we’ll ostracized you and call for your public humiliation and destruction…

I really which I could say what I was thinking, but I’d probably get being for excessively harsh language… suffice it to say, screw the NFL.

Shortly after the St. Louis Rams took Sam in the seventh round Saturday, Jones tweeted “OMG” and “Horrible.” The tweets were taken down a short time later.

I am not sure he should have been fined. He could have been commenting of the distraction this will bring to the team, i think the Rams are want to send a strong message. The players’ energies are to be focused on what they are being paid to do: win games. Dissension in the ranks will not be tolerated.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I get that vibe, too, unfortunately…:shrug::shrug:

Here is a sports blog post that addresses just that:

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/dolphins-fine-and-suspend-player-for-tweeting-negative-comment-about-michael-sam-025704270.html

The NFL is a private organization and has its own rules. If Jones (a Dolphin) were tweeting anything else negatively, he’d likely face punishment as well. It’s probably worse because of the spotlight Michael Sam is in. Remember that the organization is coming out of a scandal from 2012 and 2013 over bullying and excessive force, for example Ndamukong Suh’s $100k fine for illegal blocking. There are expectations set and the organization has the right to enforce them, and among the Rams (who resemble street thugs with entourages more than players when they’re out and about in St. Louis) it’d be nice to see them better-behaved in general.

That said, Michael Sam’s reaction was a bit over the top. He shoved cake into his boyfriend’s face and kissed him passionately. That’d be considered racy if it were a man and a woman. I understand the desire in the LGBT community to be at once accepted and open about sexual choices, in other words to be openly gay but have that be no big thing. Then being openly gay has to look like being straight - if your conduct is racy it’s called out for being racy.

By the way, the gay community responded with their own take on how disgusting straight kisses are:

outsports.com/2014/5/11/5706172/michael-sam-gay-kiss-gross-disgusting-straight

Derrick Ward, who is retired from the NFL, also sent negative tweets about Michael Sam’s kissing his partner. Among the tweets as of the time I write this (twitter.com/derrickward32) are racial slurs and threats against his children. The retaliation of “You’re a bigot” is at least on-topic, but to say “Better keep your kids outta school, know what I’m sayin?” shows that both sides can come down to an appalling lack of maturity, and perhaps civility.

Fair’s fair, I suppose. Gays don’t have to accept that my God-designed, naturally-intended, Church-sanctioned, State-recognized heterosexual marriage is good - they can call it icky or gross or whatever. They can think it horrible that I reproduce, or that I kiss my wife in public and tell her she’s beautiful, hold hands with her when I walk down the street. They can be appalled that she stays at home while I work, that we pray together and worship in a Parish where sermons on Self-Control as a gift of the Holy Spirit, and on the evils of excessive sexuality are common.

And I don’t have to vote for approval of gay marriage in my State. But I digress…

In the meantime, the key word that the Rams will need to stick to is “performance”. Sam made the draft but he needs to perform well in the camps in order to make the team. As a first-year player, hey may not be fielded very often but when he is he will have to play at his best. I hate to say it but every time he is played or not played will be commented on. It’s partly that he will only play in 16 regular season games this year (because it’s the Rams and they won’t make the playoffs) so there’s more conversation than content. But it’s also that, no matter how he may try to stay out of the limelight, he’ll forever be in it.

Public figures need to stay off twitter in general. Off the cuff tweets are a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Some folks find homosexual acts repellant. The gay community really needs to understand this. Just my :twocents:

I can understand the main point of what you are saying—sort of—

But now saying “OMG” and “HORRIBLE” is so earth-shaking in its vileness and so damaging to Sam’s reputation that Jones deserves to be fined and put into “sensitivity training?”:shrug:

Sorry—I just think a line has been crossed into Illogicville right there.:thumbsup:

Indeed. :thumbsup::o

To me it seems excessive, but the NFL can do as it wishes. I’ll respect the organization’s code of conduct even where I disagree with it. I also see where they’re coming from.

On a wider note, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), which is perhaps the largest LGBT organization in the world, has a “partnership” program through which companies who “partner” with the HRC can give awareness training to their employees. I think the main reason for this is that if the company doesn’t, the HRC can list the company on its list of most homophobic companies. Some of my clients are partners, and the HRC has been known to push their partners to require that their vendors become partners. So I don’t like the idea of sensitivity training even though I think the NFL players could use some encouragement in being civil and gentlemanly. At least give them twitter lessons.

articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/15/sports/la-sp-sn-victor-cruz-roddy-white-george-zimmerman-20130715

Were these NFL players suspended, fined and forced to undergo “sensitivity training” for their tweets about the Zimmerman trial? We need at least consistency and a fair balance.

I don’t defend the NFL’s response, but it’s hard to understand how Jones’s tweet is anything other than hateful. Should gay players be excluded from the NFL? How is that logical?

Should we treat fornicating players the same way? :confused:

And Tim Tebow was/is mocked and vilified for his Christian beliefs by the secular media. Funny how that works. The people who say we should be tolerant of others are usually the least tolerant of all.

The same weekend that Michael Sam get’s drafted and kisses his boyfriend for the cameras, bearded draq queen Conchita Wurst wins the Eurovision song contest. I envy Russia’s anti homosexual propoganda laws.

A gay man playing in the NFL should be legislated against?

That seems extremely unfair to call Jones’ tweet hateful.

If a fornicating player was filmed in the action you speak of and it was broadcast on TV, I think a lot of descriptive terms including “horrible” could be used but I don’t think I would call such reactions as hateful.

Labeling his tweets “hateful” is just a way to marginalize him and force people to accept homosexual activity. It is right up there with bigot, racist, homophobe, sexist, etc… as a shut down term.

The fact that he was suspended from off-season activities and is being forced into an indoctrination class is disturbing.

Let’s face it, the ONLY reason Michael Sam is even know is that he has publically announced that he is gay. No other late round draftees had ESPN parked at their house. If he hadn’t made his announcement, he likely would have not been drafted.

Peace

Tim

I disagree. That’s going a bit far. Let evil be shown for what it is. If men wish to dress enough like women to be called something else but still resemble men, they have that right; others may rightly call them freaks. If gay men want to hold “pride parades” and chain themselves up in BDSM gear to parade around like sexually-crazed perverts, let them be seen for their behavior, publicly. One reason why gay rights hasn’t advanced farther is that, for whatever reason, the public talk of married gay couples as being just like any other couple never made it into the public demonstrations as two men dressed in their Sunday best, walking holding hands and waving. The gay couples I know are happy enough to be left alone, go to their jobs, tend to their homes, visit with friends. Bringing attention to oneself inevitably forefeits control over the kind of attention received.

Let every idea show itself for what it is and receive praise or condemnation accordingly in the marketplace of ideas.

Remember that Russia also has laws against protesting the government.

I agree with this…

The term “bigot” has become very relative. You’re a bigot if you don’t believe what I believe. Or if what you believe is offensive to someone else. I was called a bigot for discussing the Church’s role in Medieval Europe. To a high school history class. While I was the substitute teacher. The girl who complained had an attitude that I think she inherited or learned from her parents, who were very much wanting to make an issue out of it. Sure, let’s ignore the Church’s role in 2,000 years of European history just to make you feel comfortable. I’ll take “bigot” if you’ll take “ignoramus”.

He did get far more attention than C.J. Mosley, with whom Michael Sam shared the award for SEC’s Co-Defensive Player of the Year. Seriously, google “co-defensive player of the year” and almost every story mentions Michael Sam but not C.J. Mosley. Mosley was drafted first round, 17th pick. Sam drafted 17th round, 249th pick. Why the difference?

The award was based on the players’ senior year. But recent performance has been very different. Mosley scored a 6.42 in the NFL Combine, Sam a 5.22. Sam’s performance in the Senior Bowl was disappointing (though Mosley did not participate, by choice). Mosley’s scouting report favors him as Pro Bowl material; Sam’s report says he compares favorably to a linebacker who was “overhyped” a decade ago.

But your point is well-taken that a number of stories which note Sam as Co-Defensive Player of the Year fail to mention his “Co”, who was drafted ahead of him. Sam strikes me as a player who had a really good senior year but has lots of work to do, who was drafted by a team that is trying to appeal to its home market. There are honestly more fans of Mizzou than of the Rams in St. Louis. I’m completely serious about this - people are more willing to road-trip to Columbia, MO than go to the Edward Jones Dome downtown. What Fisher probably liked most about Sam was that he’s a well-known Mizzou player. Period. And that he has potential.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.