DOMA Law Overturned

A federal judge in Massachusetts has ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. The decision, by Judge Joseph Tauro, said the DOMA law violated the Equal Protection clause.

Here is a link to the New York Times report:

nytimes.com/2010/07/09/us/09marriage.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=federal%20defense%20of%20marriage%20act&st=cse

If this ruling is affirmed by the Supreme Court, then the federal government will be forced to recognize same sex marriages.

In that event, same sex marriages will become the law of the land.

If same sex marriage becomes the standard of American law, how will that affect the heterosexual majority of Americans?

Will the Catholic church doctrine, of opposite sex marriage only, run afoul of the law?

What do you think about this?

What has this world come to? Very sad to say the least. When I was growing up I was taught that it takes a man and a woman to make a family.

My nieces and nephews have been taught the same thing by their parents but in school I am not sure what they've been taught as 2 of them go to public school and the rest go to Catholic school.

Things have really changed since I was young. It makes me really angry that the homosexuals have been pushing their agenda especially during their gay pride days and parades where I live :mad: like they are being persecuted & we need to support their cause. Then Obama declares June as Gay Pride month (I read that in the paper). Morals in today's society have really gone down the hill. Nobody respects life, each other, children, and marriage. What's next?? I pray for the next generation because we are living in uncertain times for sure.

The selfishness of the whole homosexual agenda makes me utterly ill.............

I am so sick of the propaganda. I sincerely hope and pray that all the efforts to force this agenda on all of society completely backfires and it makes a great majority of people (even those who now sympathize with the cause) detest it. Oremus.

And all this especially when there are tons of real problems facing our country and world (let's see... like the Gulf oil spill? oh, and like a rising unemployment? gee, I almost forgot about the silent genocide of the unborn children).

Does anybody think that God is getting really angry over this? I mean it reminds me of the whole Soddom and Gomor (sp?) chapter in the bible if you ask me.

It scares me for the sake of my nieces and nephews that they have to face all of these evils in society. Especially the homosexual agenda, abortion, children being a burden --since when?? what about those who are infertile and are longing to have a child of their own via adoption & are on a long waiting list, why not give up your child to a loving home instead of killing it? Do women kill their unborn due to self-centeredness w/o even thinking about adopting?

They say money is the root of all evil. That is true as well. Where I live, NY state is just about bankrupt and I blame the politicians for spending recklessly, not monitoring the welfare system & helping those get off the system (there is suppose to be a 2 yr. limit ha!), too much corruption and abuse plus our state is very much pro choice/pro abortion--makes me sick. Many of us can not wait until we can vote everyone out and start clean. Oh, one good thing though, we voted against same sex marriage.

Anyway, we can only pray and keep the faith until our Lord comes for his faithful and takes us home to heaven. :)

This decision has no value, since it will be appealed to a higher court. I am not very suprised that this happened in Massachusets, but I will look forward to a different decision when the appeal moves out of that state.

I heard there were two rulings. One said that banning homosexual marriage was discriminatory. The second said that the fact that DOMA existed was a problem to begin with, and that the federal government needs to stay out of marriage as it falls within being defined by the STATES.
This may in fact be a blessing down the road in disguise. Trust me, the liberals will find a way to overturn it, the question is whether or not though they will attempt to take the right to define it from the States, and that does not appear to be the case with this ruling.
I could be mistaken.
Each state should pass a constitutional amendment banning homosexual marriage, as well as adoptions by single people and civil unions as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.