Dominican House of Studies

Has anyone been to the Liturgy of the Hours at the Dominican House of Studies in DC? Do they provide texts for each office, or should I bring my own?

Also, what part of the cloister is the church in? I don't want to go in at the wrong entrance and find myself wandering through the kitchen or something ;)

Yes, they do have the texts for each hour (well not the readings for the Office, but everything else, yes). You could definitely bring your own Christian Prayer (or 4 volume), though, as that might be easier if they do not have enough for whatever reason. You can enter the Chapel without going into the cloistered hall. You can enter the building at the front door and they can direct you from there.

If you've never been, keep in mind that they say the Office slightly different from what you might be used to at a diocesan seminary, etc. It's absolutely beautiful though.

I'm not sure when they're open to the public, but from your question it sounds like you already know that.

Thank you. That actually helps a lot.

[quote="andy120, post:2, topic:287348"]
Yes, they do have the texts for each hour (well not the readings for the Office, but everything else, yes). You could definitely bring your own Christian Prayer (or 4 volume), though, as that might be easier if they do not have enough for whatever reason. You can enter the Chapel without going into the cloistered hall. You can enter the building at the front door and they can direct you from there.

If you've never been, keep in mind that they say the Office slightly different from what you might be used to at a diocesan seminary, etc. It's absolutely beautiful though.

I'm not sure when they're open to the public, but from your question it sounds like you already know that.

[/quote]

Just out of curiosity what do they do differently?

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:287348"]
Just out of curiosity what do they do differently?

[/quote]

Yes, I'd love to know as well.

[quote="andy120, post:2, topic:287348"]

[/quote]

Their website makes it sound like you can just head in any time for any of the Offices. It never really even occurred to me that they might be closed at some times during the day. :shrug:

Also, does anyone know what form of the Mass they usually celebrate? OF? EF? Dominican Rite?

At the House the Conventual Mass is in the Ordinary Form, and it's a very beautiful liturgy.

But for some photos of a recent celebration of the Dominican Rite (at the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer): flickr.com/photos/dominicanfriars/sets/72157629175627428/

There are certain traditions the Dominicans have when praying the Office. It's hard to explain each of them here; if you attend the liturgy you will notice the differences.

[quote="andy120, post:7, topic:287348"]
At the House the Conventual Mass is in the Ordinary Form, and it's a very beautiful liturgy.

But for some photos of a recent celebration of the Dominican Rite (at the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer): flickr.com/photos/dominicanfriars/sets/72157629175627428/

There are certain traditions the Dominicans have when praying the Office. It's hard to explain each of them here; if you attend the liturgy you will notice the differences.

[/quote]

Hmmm, well then I guess I won't find out. I am in a community that prays the office in common. I do not think it is worth it to skip my community's prayer time to see some other community's prayer.

That is why I asked.

I would also ask how seminarians pray the office as how my community does it may differ.

At least it does with the seminarian I prayed vespers with here at MACC in San Antonio.

[quote="ByzCath, post:8, topic:287348"]
Hmmm, well then I guess I won't find out. I am in a community that prays the office in common. I do not think it is worth it to skip my community's prayer time to see some other community's prayer.

That is why I asked.

I would also ask how seminarians pray the office as how my community does it may differ.

At least it does with the seminarian I prayed vespers with here at MACC in San Antonio.

[/quote]

I'm sorry I can't explain more. I don't know much about it myself, so I would hesitate to try and explain some of the traditions myself as I'd probably get them wrong.

I found this blog post on Compline: dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/2008/05/dominican-compline-and-its-processions.html. It seems it is the Dominican Rite of Compline he is explaining, but I think some of the traditions carry over into how they Office is said now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.