Dominican Nuns with Latin?

Hey there, I’m wondering if anyone knows of any Dominican Nuns who use Latin for Mass, Office, or both, either Tridentine or not. Doesn’t have to be English-speaking; French- or Italian-speaking is OK.

Also is there a directory anywhere of nuns that use the Tridentine Mass? I know of some Benedictines in the US, some on the Isle of Wight, and some Carmelites somewhere in the US but I’ve never seen a centralized list… Thanks!

M.

latinmass.org/ has all the approved Traditionalist Orders, Congregations, and Societies.

The Dominican Sisters of the Holy Ghost seem to be the thing for you. They are apparently french speaking, and have up to 5 houses throughout France (which makes them one of the most succesful traditional Orders, most only have one house…)

Of course, they might not use the Tridentine, but rather the Traditional Dominican Rite (which is really a more traditional thing for the Dominicans to do…Dominicans using the TLM would be a strange bird indeed…)

Thank you so much! I saw them on another page but only the one house was mentioned. Does anyone out there in Internet land know anything more about them?

Apparently they are a traditional order in France with five houses. Does anyone know anything else about them? Do they use the Tridentine Mass or the Dominican Rite?

Also, I was raised plain suburbian Catholic and have just gotten into traditionalism (sticking with the Pope style) in the past year or so, so I don’t know much–Can someone give me a basic overview of the difference between monastic life today and before the Council? What changed? With my upbringing would it be a big culture shock for me to enter a traditional order? (I mean traditional as in Tridentine-Mass type; should I enter an order at all I definitely want it to be at least small-t traditional with habit and whatnot.)

(I started a related thread in Vocations but don’t know how to move or combine it)

Thank you muchly.

Probably not really a culture shock, as no one has been raised in traditional society anymore. It is all people coming BACK to tradition.

They probably use the traditional Dominican Rite, as it would actually be UN-traditional for Dominicans to use anything but.

It is vastly similar to the Tridentine however. It is important for tradition to not only preserve the Tridentine Rite (which seems safe for now) but also the other Traditional Roman Rites (ambrosian, moazorbic, carmelite, dominican etc) which seemed to disappear after the Novus Ordo was promulgated. It is a special task to preserve one of the less-widespread traditional rites.

Are you talking about cloistered Dominican nuns? If so, I’ve been to two Dominican monasteries in the US that have a good portion of the Divine Office in Latin; i.e., the hymns, psalms, and canticles are done in Latin (the readings are done in English). They also have the Ordinary of the Mass in Latin on Sundays and maybe even daily at the Buffalo monastery (I can’t remember for sure as it’s been a few years since I visited), I believe. Those monasteries are:

Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary
335 Doat Street
Buffalo, NY 14211

St. Jude Monastery
P.O. Box 170
Marbury, AL 36051

Maria

What about the sisters of Saint Cecilia in Nashville? This certainly sounds encouraging! nashvilledominican.org/Prayer/The_Salve/index.htm

Their new chapel looks impressive, too. nashvilledominican.org/Motherhouse%20Building%20Project/Chapel%20Dedication/St_Cecilia_Chapel_Dedication.htm

My fiancée had been discerning a vocation to the religious life, and was drawn very intensely to this congregation. Might be worth checking out! It’s a shame we’ll be living on the West coast, as I’d imagine she’d LOVE to be a lay tertiary attached to them.

My sister is a Dominican nun in a convent that has only the TLM. The mother house is in Fanjeaux, France, near where Saint Dominic founded his first religious house for women. This particular convent is oriented to teaching and they run five schools for girls in France and one in the United States (Post Falls, Idaho). If, for whatever reason, you don’t like the SSPX then you might have a problem with these nuns since they typically have SSPX priests providing the sacraments for them. That said, they are ***Dominican ***nuns, not SSPX nuns.

Thanks all.
MTD, I’ve seen the St. Jude Monastery website. It does sound good except from their picture they seem to only have five nuns all over fifty… I’m shy about being twenty all by my lonesome… The Buffalo ones I don’t know anything about–I suppose in a way it’s a good sign for a cloistered community not having a website, but it does make it hard to learn about them.
Yeah, what I was hoping for was cloistered either TLM or current with substantial Latin.
CatholicNerd, the Dominican Sisters in Nashville don’t fit that… but other than that I love them dearly from what I know about them. I have a friend who has a sister there and she says the Salve is the only Latin they use pretty much. Maybe it is just a cross for me though not to have Latin? because I feel drawn to keep looking into them–I’ve known about them for about two years but haven’t gotten to visit yet. Hoping to meet some soon though actually–say a prayer for me. If you have any anecdotes or further advice a PM would be muchly appreciated. Thanks for the encouragement.

Parvenu74, I do in fact avoid the SSPX, but thanks anyway.

I doubt they are affiliated with the Order of Preachers and can sign “O.P.” after their names.

That is a very understandable concern; I myself am hesitant over them for the same reason. However, do know that they just got two new postulants, ages 19 and 21 (I believe).

The Buffalo community has 30+ nuns. It’s a pretty solid, traditional community. They are the only other cloistered Dominican monastery in the US (besides Marbury) where the nuns wear the old-style veil (covering the forehead and neck); all the others, while wearing a long habit, have the newer-style veil (some hair showing). Of course, that’s not a super important thing to be concerned about, but it’s a good sign, nonetheless.

I don’t believe you will find a Dominican community truly affiliated to the Dominican Order that has the TLM. The Dominicans have never had the TLM; they had their own rite. In fact, many friars still celebrate that rite from time to time. I belong to a Dominican parish, and we have a Dominican Rite Mass once a month and on some special feasts.

Maria

Yes but they are SSPX Dominicans… Just like the Carmalites in Spokane Valley (near by to these Dominicans) are SSPX Carmalite Nuns. I hear they are all real nice. I have met some of the priests who serve these communities, they are very nice. However it still is all SSPX… unfortunatly… cause the Carmalite Cloister is just a short drive from my house and the Low Mass on sunday is incredible.

You are only 20? I would say give this a little time. There are very faithful orders that will be embracing the TLM as time goes on.
I know the Franciscans of the Immaculate are heading in this direction for example.

This is very true. We have Capuchin-Franciscan Friars. Prior to Vatican II they used what I call a “mitigated” Tridentine mass and Divine Office. St. Francis of Assisi took the Gregorian chant out of their liturgy, mass and Divine office, and replaced it with music that he wrote called Laudas. Laudas has nothing to do with Lauds. Laudas were songs of praise in Italian, with Italian music and instruments. The best known ones are the Canticle of the Sun and the Prayer for Peace.

The Divine Office had to be read, not chanted. To this day, they do not chant the office and the only chant that they use is plain chant for some parts of the mass.

Also, Francis took out the Latin sermon and replaced it with the sermon in Italian.

Even though Francis was a lay brother, he was the Superior General and founder of a religious order of what he called clerical and lay brothers. He also took kneelers out of the friaries and received special license for those lay brothers who had the appropriate theological formation to preach. Most of the Brothers today have Masters and Doctorate degrees in theology, canon law, liturgy, scripture and are not priests. They have have more lay brothers than priests.

One of their friars is the official preacher to the Vatican household.

Some people in our parish requested the TLM and the friars said that they could not do it, because they had never really celebrated it exactly the same way as secular priests or priests in congregations have. It is not part of their tradition, just as it is not part of the Dominican or Carmelite tradition.

Even Pius V, who promulgated the Tridentine mass, never celebrated it himself. Pius V was a Dominican Friar and he celebrated the Dominican rite. He even dressed as a Dominican during his entire papacy. That’s why the Popes to this day were parts of the Dominican habit. They inherited this from Pius V.

JR :slight_smile:

Here is the Dominican rite…

members.aol.com/liturgialatina/dominican/mass_ordinary.htm

For things about the Dominican liturgy, it couldn’t hurt to visit Fr. Augustine Thompson OP 's website, and send him an email even.

dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/

-Rob

Thanks for the link !

It seems I am going to visit Buffalo for a week this summer so I can talk to them about this firsthand and see how they have their liturgies.

Oh my friend, God has gone to great lengths (from the human standpoint) to introduce me to the Francescane! They are a most endearing group. It will certainly be interesting to see where I end up.

The Dominicans are based on the Rule of St Augustine.

Here is a Dominican-based preparatory association in the very earliest stages:

cloisters.tripod.com/holyinnocents/

The aspirants are now putting the charism into practice as their ‘third order’-- Dr Gianna’s Assistants for Life: cloisters.tripod.com/drgiannasassistantsforlife/

Once a sufficient number of aspirants are fairly certain that they are in the right place, they will have meet-greets, then will eventually share living quarters to determine the constitutions. Once they have constitutions & horarium; remunerative work; formation program; stable source of habit parts; and three or four persevering members, then they will present themselves to the bishop (who does know about the project). If all conditions are met, he will issue a letter so that the fears of the faithful can be assauged concerning the orthodoxy of the community.

I also have Ecclesia Dei communities listed on my main site:

cloisters.tripod.com/

Look under “Ecclesia Dei Resources”

HTH

Blessings,
Cloisters

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.