Dominican Republic Cardinal Spars With Gay U.S. Ambassador

There were fireworks after a gay man in a same-sex “marriage” came to the Dominican Republic with his gay partner as U.S. ambassador. The Dominican Republic, an island country south of Florida, is 80% Catholic. The country’s outspoken Cardinal and the gay ambassador have been engaged in verbal battles.
see www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=26837

Aside from the inherent humor of the situation, it just seems counter-productive to send a diplomat to a place where he’ll only anger the locals.

The entire point of diplomacy would seem to be completely undermined.:shrug:

Seems more like strong arming the country

There is quite a bit of humor in the situation and statements being tossed back and forth. But the statements make Mr. Brewer appear to be a terrible diplomat. What is he doing engaging in politics in the DR, and organizing conferences (for Americans) on topics the people of DR don’t support. Or telling the people of DR that they shouldn’t be allowed to travel to the US, if don’t support American involvement, if indeed these things are happening.

Isn’t this what progressives call cultural colonization? Americans forcing American culture down foreign peoples is a form of insidious cultural colonization until it is about gay rights and abortion, then it isn’t?

should “focus on housework, since he’s the wife to a man.”

I will admit that I laughed at that, but it was not the kind of comment that a Cardinal should make in public.

Brewster said that those who object to American involvement should forfeit their right to visit the US.

That is not the kind of thing that any diplomat should say but, of course, he is not really a diplomat. His only qualification is giving money to Barack Obama.

They are both pretty bad, both should know better. Shouldn’t laugh but I did at some of their comments.

I think both men are shocked at the situation they find themselves in. The ambassador because he has to communicate with the Church due to the huge influence in that country and the Cardinal because he didn’t want the Ambassador and his gay lover there in the first place.

What are you going to do? Not like it’s a big island, bound to see each other down at the shops.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Dominican Republic one of the countries in the world where the US is viewed mostly favorably? Why would the US ambassador (of all people) want to try to change this perception?

I think that Americans should not be allowed to travel to other countries if they don’t want those countries involved in ***their ***politics.

Police corruption, including serious human rights violations, has been a major problem in the Dominican Republic for years. It is his job to advocate on behalf of Americans particularly when they contact the embassy because they’ve just been robbed at gun point by a police officer. I would think that a Cardinal as influential as this one supposedly is would have a sense of duty to speak out against these things as well, but apparently he is more concerned with, once again, lobbing disgraceful anti-gay slurs at our Ambassador.

He is not a terrible diplomat.
He was sent to the DR as a deliberate insult, he is fulfilling that mission.

Let’s see Obama send a gay ambassador to Saudi Arabia instead of African or South American countries.

Do you think a prince of the church should be saying things like “I don’t talk to queers” to the media?

No he should not be saying that but he is human and he does come from a culture that doesn’t care about politically correct speech.

It is not an attitude or hatred that anyone with a red hat should have let alone express.

Even the Pope sins. Yes, it’s human nature. There have been bishops who have said/done worse. Christians do not claim to be perfect.

The LGBTQ movement is far more important than good relations with a small country such as this.

Jon

That was a pretty offensive thing for the Catholic prelate to say. Why would he tell someone to “focus on housework”?
Would he say that to a man or woman in a heterosexual relationship? He offends women and wives with this statement.
Brewster denounced corruption…and the Cardinal makes disparaging remarks about the USA, too.
What’s up with this Cardinal?

Does he come from a culture that insults people and doesn’t care about the feelings of thousands of people?

Gee. It seems as though Catholic Culture.org is guilty of the sin of omission while reporting on this story:

December 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm EST | by Michael K. Lavers**
Dominican cardinal uses slur to describe gay U.S. ambassador**

A Catholic cardinal on Sunday once again used an anti-gay slur to describe the gay U.S. ambassador to the Dominican Republic.
Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez of the Archdiocese of Santo Domingo described James “Wally” Brewster as a “faggot” during an interview with Hoy, a Dominican newspaper. López also said the gay ambassador wants to promote “faggotry” in the predominantly Catholic country.
“What are we going to become with such a thing, an ambassador who is a ******,” López told Hoy.
“He [Brewster] should go home, he does not have to bring anything here.”
López spoke to Hoy less than a week after he described Brewster — who is married to Bob Satawake — as a “wife” who “should stick to housework.”…

washingtonblade.com/2015/12/07/dominican-cardinal-again-uses-slur-to-describe-gay-ambassador/

Apparently he does and is disinclined to apologise. What do you want done about this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.