Dominican Soteriology

Hello everyone,

Its been quite a while since I’ve been on here, as you probably know. In that time, Ive come across yet another burning theological question. Now I know the Dominicans have historically been greatly influenced by the teachings of one of their most famous members, Thomas Aquinas. I may be completely wrong on this, but it is my understanding that he taught unconditional election, at least partial depravity, and irresistible grace. I’m wondering if anyone can explain how the resulting soteriological system, Thomism, differs from Calvinism. It also seems that beliefs like these ruffle the feathers of not a few Franciscans, so if anyone could clarify the finer points of their disagreement with the Dominicans, that would be great too.

In Christ
DeusExMachina

I know nothing about the topic and this may not be relevant but I want to point out that the Summa was co-authored by St. Bonaventure, a Franciscan.

-Tim-

interesting

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.