Don Shula, iconic NFL coach, dies at 90

It’s anecdotal but I know of one case where coach Shula went to a Mass on game day (and in this case, it was a game on a Saturday). I’m not going to assume anything more than that about church attendance, it’s not my place but I had to pass that along. So, God bless him.

“The Miami Dolphins are saddened to announce that Head Coach Don Shula passed away peacefully at his home this morning,” the team said in a statement.

As Shula’s family expanded—he had six siblings, including a set of triplets born in 1936—his father got a job in the local fishing industry for $15 a week, and later worked at a rayon plant in nearby Painesville, Ohio.[3] Shula attended elementary school at St. Mary’s, a private Catholic school in Painesville; his mother was a devout Catholic, and his father converted to that denomination when they married.[

. We can pray faithfully for the departed soul for it’s eternal rest. O Loving Father and Savior, send your angels to carry the soul of your servant from this earth to the heavenly place of eternal

1 Like

Eternal rest grant unto Don Shula, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.

2 Likes

Shula was the man, and a daily communicant. Had a major impact on Tom Monaghan.

3 Likes

@Dr_Meinheimer

That’s a great article and very inspirational. It makes me feel like going out and praying.

An exemplary man. That book sure rings a bell with me, you know what I think it is? It’s that I had “motivational” cassette tapes on this by him. I am unsure of what the titles were.

The article is a keeper, I should read it from time to time.

Also, for anyone interested, Senator Marco Rubio and surely some others, mainly Florida politicians certainly tweeted out their condolences.

2 Likes

Don Shula conducted himself with class and dignity.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.