Don’t laugh: I have a serious reason for raising my cats gender-neutral

From the paper of record for the Federal Government.

washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/04/05/dont-laugh-i-have-a-serious-reason-for-raising-my-cats-gender-neutral/

I wonder how she labels the litter box…

Too late, I already laughed.

But sadly, this is the brave new world we are entering. Apparently the left believed Animal Farm was a how-to manual.

I ask this often lately, but honestly, how much more are we going to put up with before we put a screeching halt to it?

I couldn’t even make it through the headline without laughing…

I think you mean, “I wonder how they labels the litter box.” :wink:

She - Yes (gasp!) SHE - is an idiot. I don’t care what you identify as, your chromosomes are what they are. People are he or she. Only things are ‘it’. Only plurals are plural. The end.

So if people don’t want to be known as he or she, I’ll call them IT, not ‘they’. Two can play this game.

Of course cats should be gender neutral. Hasn’t anyone heard Bob Barker at the end of the Price is Right?

Do cat’s even have gender? I’m not sure what gender is anymore except that it’s not supposed to have anything to do with sex. :confused:

Haha! Good one! :clapping:

Sex is determined, at least in mammals, by varying numbers of X and Y chromosomes.

Gender is more akin to one’s outward identity, and is also related to the assumptions or typical characteristics we associate with each sex (“masculine” and “feminine”). Once upon a time the two generally matched up (aside from a few people born intersex I suppose) - these days apparently gender is purely a personal construct and we can all change it at will. :shrug:

One wonders what impact neutering her cats might have on her choice of language as wll.

The headline is misleading however: she doesn’t have a serious reason at all.

It’s very confusing. Somebody needs to clean up the language so that it’s consistent so we can all understand what people mean. I thought that male/female is determined by our biological sex but this lady isn’t referring to male cats as male in an attempt to be gender neutral. Wouldn’t that be sex-neutral?

I am 100% in favor of LGBT rights but this stuff is so far out there I don’t understand what people mean anymore. I do try to use gender neutral pronouns until I’m sure of what’s going on. Normally it’s simply “spouse” instead of “husband/wife”. I can’t tell what sex/gender people are on the phone so it’s not something that comes up.

My wife was never a “spouse.” She was always my wife. And I was never her spouse. I was always her husband. Husband and wife. So much more meaningful than spouse and spouse.

Do you have a significant hearing disability? I ask because at 50+ years of age, I can count the number of times I’ve misidentified the sex of a person on the phone on one hand with fingers to spare. I wouldn’t have thought that unusual.

I work with the public, I need to be as general as possible. As much as I hate the word “spouse” there isn’t any other word that works when you don’t know anything about the couple.

Making the mistake once is embarrassing enough to try and avoid it in the future. :o

People are coming to understand that not all of us fit into the “girl” box or the “boy” box. Those who don’t are claiming space to be who they are. We all need to find ways to acknowledge and respect that.

“Respecting” that people don’t think they fit into a “box” as allegedly created by society?

I wonder what “respect” means in this situation. Can I “respectfully” disagree with such individuals, and am I permitted to debate them? Or does “respect” mean I have to applaud them for doing something objectively true and valid?

If the latter, who has determined that it is objectively true and valid that not everyone belongs to one of two genders? Or that gender, as traditionally understood, is an intellectually bankrupt concept? And why is their authority so vast that I am not permitted to disagree with them?

… and, most importantly of all, do these people believe in moral relativism? If yes, then how do they consistently argue for things that are objectively true and valid in the first place? Force? Shame? Name-calling? Don’t those things contradict the “respect” I’m supposed to show to these people?

Poor cats. I mean, I do feel sorry for HER as well, but still… poor cats.

People are coming to understand that not all of us fit into the “girl” box or the “boy” box.

I’m sure she does not wash her hair… She doesn’t need too… It seem to me her whole head was washed pretty good.

Please explain! I’m curious! I know Bob Barker, I’m old enough that I grew up with Bob Barker hosting The Price is Right, but I don’t get your reference…

Help!:):confused::smiley:

*People are coming to understand that not all of us fit into the “girl” box or the “boy” box. Those who don’t are claiming space to be who they are. We all need to find ways to acknowledge and respect that. *

While this is true of cats, the solution is to get a bigger litter box, not call Mr. Bigglesworth Ms. Bigglesworth.

The fact that some enlightened progressive got paid to write this garbage makes their cries for the poor ring hollow. Their salary would have been better spent on cat nip and flea collars for underprivileged cats.

A few months ago a feral cat saw fit to move in under my house. She never let anyone touch her. Well she had a litter of 8 kittens, only one of them lets himself be touched. Now she is pregnant again.

If they would let me touch them they could be spayed or neutered. Bob Barker is very intellegent.

He always ended the show with “Spay or neuter your pets.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.